The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!

Go down 
+3
Athlon2k2
~Abyss~
LadyRiotControl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 7:38 pm

Well in nearly 10 years of keeping scorpions, what i saw tonight i have NEVER come across before. I got my little scorp out to have another look at the pedipalps to try and sex it. Using the little container it came in i went to sort of scoop the little scorp in... AND IT JUMPED 2" in the air.

Then when i went to put it back in its enclosure from my hand, IT JUMPED AGAIN! straight off my hand about 3 feet to the floor. Needless to say my heart stopped for a minute! It was ok though thank goodness!

But did anyone know scorpions can jump? Has anyone seen this in other sp? The first jump was definatly an attack sort of jump it has its peds and telson all pointing directly at my nearest finger!

Was literally dumbstruck for about half an hour it was totally mad!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 7:41 pm

I've had it happen a few times with V. puritanus. They are really quick and so was the jump so I cant even explain the mechanics. I've also witnesses venom squirting and hissing.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 7:43 pm

oh man i would love to get one of those digital fast capture video camera's that slow the film down REALLY SLOOOOOOOW to watch how they do it. Bet its awesome!

And seen scorp stridulation thats pretty good!
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 8:07 pm

My H. judaicus jump. I think it is just a really fast lunge that gets them airborne not specifically the intention of jumping.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 8:25 pm

Seems about right
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/21/2008, 8:35 pm

at a guess id say it would probably jump similarly to a spider, i dont think a lunge would give enough upward force, to make them jump, this needs to be investigated lol
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 3:15 am

Its happened a few times with my pandinus cavimanus.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 8:35 am

ive never seen this strange act you speak of. but i wanna see it! sounds funny.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 10:03 am

I've never come across it in oooh about 10 years of keeping them... tis pretty cool though after you get over the shock!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 3:20 pm

I've seen lots of lunging, but no jumping.

I had a cave spider jump at some teenage girls once, though. Razz (RIGHT after I told them that it doesn't jump!)
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 3:48 pm

I'm not sure if it is how they lunge or if this is actually a form of capturing their prey. I have also witnessed H. judaicus falling down on prey. I thought it was on accident but I've seen it several times. Maybe its just because they are such crazy hunters.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 4:39 pm

well it was a definite vertical jump upwards. wonder if they're any good at catching fly's in mid flight lol!
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 4:46 pm

if it was an upward jump, then there would have to be a bend in the knees or something like the jumping spider when it crouches down then "ssspprroooiiinngg" i dont know why i felt the need for a soundaffect but enjoy!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty7/22/2008, 5:26 pm

i have heard and see a pic of a scorpion catching a moth mid flight.

My cavimanus has JUMPED up and forward at the tongs before.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!   U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

U.Granulatus... THEY JUMP!!!!!
Page 1 of 1