The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

is this emperor or forest scorp?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-08-31

is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty
PostSubject: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/8/2013, 10:00 am

is this emperor or forest scorp? IMG-20130908-WA0005_zpsfe001758

is this emperor or forest scorp? IMG-20130908-WA0006_zpsa39213e4

is this emperor or forest scorp? IMG-20130908-WA0009_zpse612833f
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/8/2013, 3:36 pm

That's a heterometrus species.
Back to top Go down
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/8/2013, 3:51 pm

Well im buyin this on weekend and this will be my first scorp. The seller is sayin its a female. Here is what im planning on after reading loads about it online.

Tank will be a 12" cube.
Substrate will be 4" of peat moss.
Feeding will me lobster roach once per week.
Im confused about humidity.
Should I mist it with spray everyday the entire bottom? I also have forest moss, will use it as decor and also maintain humidity. Should only one particular area remain moist or entire tank?

Should I keep the top of the tank open or closed? As they cant climk glass.

Iv read that inverts cant see red light, so shud I keep red light on for 6hrs a day?

Can I take the risk of takin it in hand? Like the seller. Iv read that the venom of forest scorp is a bit more strong then of emperor.
Back to top Go down
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/8/2013, 10:24 pm

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/9/2013, 7:45 pm

veerall wrote:
Well im buyin this on weekend and this will be my first scorp. The seller is sayin its a female.  Here is what im planning on after reading loads about it online.

Tank will be a 12" cube.
Substrate will be 4" of peat moss.
Feeding will me lobster roach once per week.
Im confused about humidity.
Should I mist it with spray everyday the entire bottom? I also have forest moss, will use it as decor and also maintain humidity. Should only one particular area remain moist or entire tank?

Should I keep the top of the tank open or closed? As they cant climk glass.

Iv read that inverts cant see red light, so shud I keep red light on for 6hrs a day?

Can I take the risk of takin it in hand? Like the seller. Iv read that the venom of forest scorp is a bit more strong then of emperor.
I recommend a false bottom setup myself. Misting the substrate would be better than to use just wet forest moss because the substrate holds on to more moisture, and the scorpion will be in direct contact with it. You might want to keep a lid on the enclosure just in case. Even if your pet can't climb out, that doesn't mean things still can't get in. Scorpions CAN see red light, yes. However, it's not as stressful as violet light. If you have a red lamp, I recommend turning it on in the morning, and off at night. Your scorpion is more likely to come out and show off its awesome behaviors. The venom on Heterometrus species isn't bad. Some say it's worse than Pandinus imperator, some say it's about the same. If you really want to hold it, go right ahead, just know that handling them will stress them out.

Back to top Go down
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/9/2013, 10:12 pm

I dont know anything about false bottom setup. Can u explain in detail?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/10/2013, 3:07 am

Have a look here, great instruction and very detailed:
http://www.scorpion-forum.com/t10221-how-to-false-bottom-emperor-enclosure-with-pool?highlight=false+bottom
Back to top Go down
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/10/2013, 8:26 am

wow... thats really beautiful... well but since its my first time, shud i go for jus rocks/gravels with a pipe to pour water and use peat moss as substrate? the waterlevel in the gravels should be maintained right? is 1" of gravels enough or more?
Back to top Go down
veerall
Pandinus
veerall

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/10/2013, 12:25 pm

Got dry moss for decor, I think its spegnum.... here are the pics....
is this emperor or forest scorp? 20130910_191613_zpsc93df260
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty9/11/2013, 10:35 am

veerall wrote:
wow... thats really beautiful... well but since its my first time, shud i go for jus rocks/gravels with a pipe to pour water and use peat moss as substrate? the waterlevel in the gravels should be maintained right? is 1" of gravels enough or more?
1" should be sufficient; I wouldn't go any less, however. The deeper the gravel, the less you'll need to add water. A 12" cube sounds a lot like an Exo Terra mini. If that's the enclosure you're using, you'll want to cover the 80% to 90% of the screen top with plastic wrap to retain humidity. You can also replace the screen top with a piece of Plexi-glass or acrylic that has a sufficient number of holes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is this emperor or forest scorp?   is this emperor or forest scorp? Empty

Back to top Go down

is this emperor or forest scorp?
Page 1 of 1