The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motrucka
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty
PostSubject: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty4/29/2010, 11:46 pm

I'm considering consolidating my Asian Forest scorp and Emp together in the same aquarium. Reason being: I'd like to create a rain forest habitat in a good sized tank (30+ gallon) so they can both have more room and create an impressive display. They're both about the same size, the Asian Forest is female and the Emp is a male. The Asian is obviously more aggressive, but they've had contact before and there wasn't a problem. I'm sure joining different species is recommended, but with these species so similar, it seems do-able.

This next question may be a foolish one, but I'm okay with that:

A Desert set up? I have a Desert Hairy and a Flat Rock.. I'd be somewhat worried about the aggressiveness of my Desert Hairy.. Has anyone pulled off having these 2 species co-exist in the same tank before?

Any more experienced hobbyists have any concerns to share or have done similar set ups? Any feedback appreciated.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty4/30/2010, 1:41 am

Well i suggest that you DONT do the desert ones....Thats never gonna work...Especially considering that Flat rocks dont even coexist with there own. You cant really even have another flat rock with another flat rock...
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty4/30/2010, 1:57 am

Yeh, the first set-up with the asian scorp and the emp I have seen work many times before.

Take a look here:
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/my-emp-and-asian-forest-setup-t4719.htm

But I wouldn't even try the DH and flatrock one.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty4/30/2010, 11:29 am

i would think as long as there isnt multiple males, it would work...

it would be pretty cool to see them mate and produce hybrids
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
motrucka
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty5/2/2010, 3:30 am

Binksboy3 - Very impressive set up! Unfortunately I did give it a try with my AF and Emp, and ironically the Emp chose to enter the burrow that my AF had chosen. They began to fight and I quickly separated them before either could sting the other, which was a close call. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to co-habitate them like you have, but for now ill keep them separate.

Mikey - The thought of hybrids seemed intriguing to me as well as I was preparing to co-habitate them. Are scorpion hybrids possible between 2 diff species, have you seen it done?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty5/2/2010, 7:36 am

No one has seen a successful hybrid of scorpion species. It is because the spermatophores are different shapes and sizes and have to have the right one to "fit" the genital operculum.

Motrucka - I appreciate the compliment about the set-up, but it isn't mine Razz If you take a look at the first page on that thread you will see that it belongs to H.Laoticus.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty5/2/2010, 11:15 am

lol he answered your question better than i could ^^^^^
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty5/9/2010, 2:00 pm

While the Heterometrus / Pandinus tank has been done successfully a few times, it's generally not recommended . . . there seems to be a slightly higher risk of cannibalism than with single-species tanks.

As for the desert question, I'm going to side with everyone else and say "no" -- the species you asked about are generally not communal with their own species, so they'd probably have no problem munching on a different species.

It might work -- emphasis on might -- with species whose territories do not overlap, such as a climbing bark scorpion and a burrowing Hadrurus sp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?   Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible? Empty

Back to top Go down

Co-Habitation with an Asian Forest and Emperor.. possible?
Page 1 of 1