The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Feeding behaviors..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Feeding behaviors.. Empty
PostSubject: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty7/15/2013, 7:48 am

So i have 2 questions:

1). Do scorpions scavenge food?

- i've noticed that some of my adult scorpions would go back to eat their half-eaten prey after a couple of days time. the same goes for 2nd and 3rd instar babies that ignore pre-killed prey but eats it after 48 hours.

2). What's up with my adult female H.longimanus?

- after killing its prey, it just held the cricket in one pedipalp, waved it in the air and just held unto it for almost 27 hours. it just started to eat now. any ideas? she doesn't seem stressed though. i just fed her after almost 3 weeks and i haven't even looked at my invert family for more than 2 weeks since then. so they virtually had 100% privacy in darkness during that time.

thanks for the upcoming enlightment! Smile
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty7/15/2013, 11:00 am

I think some species are known to scavange and it become less occuring in adults probably due to being more capable of taking down prey. As for your longimanus...thats weird I've noticed big forest scorpions will do this sometimes kinda like raising they're prey in offer to the gods or something...but never for that long!!
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty7/15/2013, 11:19 am

I just fed my Centruroides gracilis scorplings and they used to scavenge, but today I actually saw them attack the food. I think that Abyss may be right in the sense that the better at hunting they are, the less they will scavenge.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty7/15/2013, 3:52 pm

I've seen my emps do that raising thing also. Just, like Ed said, not for that long. Some seem to take pride in their killings. I love when they parade around the enclosure holding something in their chelicerae.

Back when I was married and kept only emps, I lived in the country where wild C. vitts would get in the house. My now ex-wife was terrified and super paranoid about them and wouldn't let me keep them and made me kill. I figured that instead of stepping on them and wasting the life, I would transfer that energy to something else, so I would feed them to my emps (not something I would ever do anymore). I always thought it was funny how they would parade with only the tail sticking out, like they had a trophy.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty7/17/2013, 3:08 pm

i know! the waving / offering to the gods is a really fun thing to watch even my mom who's scared of scorpions has finally taken a liking to it coz of that trick lol..

i see, so i guess scavenging is normal then.

thanks guys now i'm relieved! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding behaviors..   Feeding behaviors.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding behaviors..
Page 1 of 1