The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner

Go down 
+5
RogueAgent94
TheKevil
dakuan
shadowfoot
Chrexis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-06-22

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty
PostSubject: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 11:50 am

Howdy! So I've been looking in to getting into the world of exotic pets, and I found that an Emperor Scorpion would be perfect! I purchased a 4 1/2 gallon tank below is a picture of the setup. I also have a heating mat underneath the tank where her(?) hide is. The substrate is Eco Earth coconut fiber.
New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner VCKzG01l
And here is Cupcake eating a cricket in her(?) water dish.
New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner MRJK5bTl

Basically I'd love feedback on the setup. What kind of a feeding schedule as I was told to feed her one cricket every other day. Should I feed her just the one, or continue feeding until she no longer wants to eat? The water I change daily to make sure it's fresh, I mist every morning as well.

Feedback and information, I'm glad I found you all, and I look forward to learning even more about them!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 12:56 pm

Welcome to the addiction!
Your enclosure looks good but definitely remove the heat mat from underneath as scorpions burrow to get away from heat so rather stick it to the side or better, use an infrared bulb. You can also add some more substrate so it can burrow a bit.
Feeding once a week is good.
Back to top Go down
dakuan
Hadogenes
dakuan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-06-05

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 1:53 pm

Welcome to SF!
shadowfoot wrote:
remove the heat mat from underneath as scorpions burrow to get away from heat so rather stick it to the side or better, use an infrared bulb.
+1
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 2:01 pm

I'll be removing the heating mat from the bottom, and attaching it to the side. The heating bulbs aren't really an option for me >.<
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 5:17 pm

I was thinking about a way to keep the heat/humidity in the enclosure would be to put plastic wrap over 3/4 of the screen top. Would anyone suggest for or against this?
Back to top Go down
dakuan
Hadogenes
dakuan

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 5:31 pm

I think it will work, but it's probably not the most efficient or practical solution. You can try to cut some thin styrofoam tiles to fit exactly on the mesh screen. I have done this myself and wrapped them tightly in aluminiumfoil for extra insulation. It works really well and allows one to regulate temperature and humidity if needed. You can make the tiles small or large, smaller is more work, but allows for more accurate regulation.

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Imag0219

This what i've made for my 24x18x18(60x45x45)terrarium.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 5:53 pm

dakuan wrote:
I think it will work, but it's probably not the most efficient or practical solution. You can try to cut some thin styrofoam tiles to fit exactly on the mesh screen. I have done this myself and wrapped them tightly in aluminiumfoil for extra insulation. It works really well and allows one to regulate temperature and humidity if needed. You can make the tiles small or large, smaller is more work, but allows for more accurate regulation.

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Imag0219

This what i've made for my 24x18x18(60x45x45)terrarium.
That's a great idea! I will be doing that once I pick up some foam and I get home after work. Do you have any other suggestions for trying to improve the enclosure?
Back to top Go down
dakuan
Hadogenes
dakuan

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 5:58 pm

Might be worth it to check out Shebeen's [HOW TO] False bottom Emperor Enclosure with pool
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 6:20 pm

Not sure if I'd have the height to make a false bottom.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 11:38 pm

Probably not with that small of a setup (which is fine for one scorp of that size, btw). Misting every morning is good, but it may not get all the humidity you need, depending on just how much you mist. It may a good idea to pour a bit of water in the substrate once per week-ish. Make sure the substrate is moist, but not pooling or super damp. I would recommend doing Dakuan's idea with the top of your enclosure, or, even easier but not quite as insulating, just pick up a roll of foil insulation tape from a hardware store and line the inside of the lid with that. Again, it's not going to retain as much humidity, but it definitely does the trick. Just remember to leave some open space so that the enclosure can breathe.

I agree with the thing on putting the heat mat on the side, but make sure it doesn't cover anything below the substrate line, though, because that could also heat up the substrate itself and cause similar problems to having it on the bottom.

Your setup looks good. If you want, you can add bits of wood and plants (fake or real) for Cupcake to climb on, but it's not a requirement by any means. Just adds more stuff to explore and a more pleasing to the eye kind of setup.

Good luck! I hope he/she works out for you. Smile Btw... if you post pictures of the scorp's underside where we can see those pectines, we can tell you if it's male or female.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 11:43 pm

TheKevil wrote:
Probably not with that small of a setup (which is fine for one scorp of that size, btw). Misting every morning is good, but it may not get all the humidity you need, depending on just how much you mist. It may a good idea to pour a bit of water in the substrate once per week-ish. Make sure the substrate is moist, but not pooling or super damp. I would recommend doing Dakuan's idea with the top of your enclosure, or, even easier but not quite as insulating, just pick up a roll of foil insulation tape from a hardware store and line the inside of the lid with that. Again, it's not going to retain as much humidity, but it definitely does the trick. Just remember to leave some open space so that the enclosure can breathe.

I agree with the thing on putting the heat mat on the side, but make sure it doesn't cover anything below the substrate line, though, because that could also heat up the substrate itself and cause similar problems to having it on the bottom.

Your setup looks good. If you want, you can add bits of wood and plants (fake or real) for Cupcake to climb on, but it's not a requirement by any means. Just adds more stuff to explore and a more pleasing to the eye kind of setup.

Good luck! I hope he/she works out for you. Smile Btw... if you post pictures of the scorp's underside where we can see those pectines, we can tell you if it's male or female.
Thank you very much sir! I appreciate the advice! Just as you asked I was presented with a very clear opportunity to take a picture.
New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner KgIFwr7l
And I also went with the tile idea:
New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner P9k9rQLl
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/22/2013, 11:50 pm

Good job on the tile. Smile

Cupcake looks to be male to me. Big ol' teeth on those pectines. I am not the best at sexing scorps, though.
Back to top Go down
RogueAgent94
Pandinus

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/23/2013, 8:43 pm

Great looking tank! I'm also quite new to scorpions and your tank looks a heck of a lot better than mine!
 Although the wood isn't necessary, I've noticed my two climb on the wood I have in their tank quite regularly when they're out. 
And comparing your picture with my male and female I also agree that Cupcake is a male.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/25/2013, 12:43 am

Update on my enclosure:

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner 6TdJpjpl
Added pothos to the space, the insulation works wonders, and it seems to be stabilizing between 28.5-29C which is 83-84. Heating pad is moved on to the side of the tank. Looking to rename him as cupcake doesn't really fit a male...
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/25/2013, 3:54 pm

Bacon Cupcake. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/25/2013, 10:11 pm

Now is it only IR light that doesn't bother them as much? Or is there another kind of light that I can turn on so I can actually watch him in his enclosure and the light won't stress him out.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/25/2013, 10:17 pm

As far as I know just IR/red lighting. Now, as long as your lighting isn't UV it isn't gonna stress him out horribly to the point of being unhealthy or death or anything. People use heat lamps with their scorps all the time. IR is just better. Personally, I use heat tape and no lighting at all except ambient light. When I want to check on my scorps I use a red flashlight if the ambient lighting isn't enough.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/26/2013, 10:42 pm

Renamed him to Nero Razz
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/27/2013, 5:55 pm

Lol. Good name. I've got his step dad over here.
Back to top Go down
Chrexis
Pandinus
Chrexis

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/27/2013, 9:33 pm

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner AjrussX
There is Nero contemplating the meaning of life.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty6/27/2013, 10:17 pm

Haha. Or he's wishing he had his lyre to play while he watches his tank burn.
Back to top Go down
t_saga
Pandinus

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2013-11-06

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty11/7/2013, 12:18 am

I don't know about you guys but i think it is a female. Since the space between the two sets of pectines are wide for where it receives the spermatophore. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just started scorpion keeping Very HappyNew to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner View;_ylt=AwrTcYGtE3tSWkcAPBqJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIybWpvM2hyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANlOTJkMjU3ZmE2NjNkMWMxZjY4NjU5MTE2ZGY1ZmZjNARncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dpectines%2Bemperor%2Bscorpion%26fr%3Dmcafee%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=720&h=540&imgurl=lunarfish.com%2Fscrapple%2FSCORPIONS%2FSexingEmperorScorpions.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scorpion-forum.com%2Ft3391-my-first-scorpion&size=66.4KB&name=Registration+date%3A+2008-12-21&p=pectines+emperor+scorpion&oid=e92d257fa663d1c1f68659116df5ffc4&fr2=&fr=mcafee&tt=Registration+date%3A+2008-12-21&b=0&ni=112&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11lv80iiv&sigb=13k7ec0n7&sigi=11r7im5be&
Back to top Go down
t_saga
Pandinus

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2013-11-06

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty11/7/2013, 12:19 am

here is the link :

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcYGtE3tSWkcAPBqJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIybWpvM2hyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANlOTJkMjU3ZmE2NjNkMWMxZjY4NjU5MTE2ZGY1ZmZjNARncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dpectines%2Bemperor%2Bscorpion%26fr%3Dmcafee%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=720&h=540&imgurl=lunarfish.com%2Fscrapple%2FSCORPIONS%2FSexingEmperorScorpions.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scorpion-forum.com%2Ft3391-my-first-scorpion&size=66.4KB&name=Registration+date%3A+2008-12-21&p=pectines+emperor+scorpion&oid=e92d257fa663d1c1f68659116df5ffc4&fr2=&fr=mcafee&tt=Registration+date%3A+2008-12-21&b=0&ni=112&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11lv80iiv&sigb=13k7ec0n7&sigi=11r7im5be&.crumb=naYkatulQGL&fr=mcafee
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty11/7/2013, 1:12 pm

Nice looking scorp and setup!
Back to top Go down
orion_rmw
Pandinus
orion_rmw

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty11/8/2013, 11:48 am

I had the issues keeping the RH high in my 10 gallon enclosure. Tried the foil / wrap solution for a bit but started getting fungus. I read on the forum a "how to" link for a gravel reservoir in the bottom of the enclosure that has worked very well for my needs. I added about 2" of gravel to bottom of my tank with a fill tube off to the side. Cover the gravel with window screen material (Home Depot or Lowes has this) and add your substrate. I added enough distilled water to just reach the substrate; the moisture will work its way up through the substrate and keep things nice and humid. As mentioned by others, the heat mat, if used, is placed on the side of the tank. I also have a 50W IR bulb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner   New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the world of Exotics, first time Emp. owner
Page 1 of 1