The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion handling diclaimers

Go down 
+4
~Abyss~
bjaeger
Bayss
Shakudo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/8/2013, 9:11 am

Hey guys,

Handling photos, are of course the responsibility of the keeper, but I would personally advise a do-not-try this at home disclaimer. Just to let it be known that there is a risk involved and people are aware of it, because it can be detrimental for the hobby if for a crude example a few 14 year olds who visits this forum decide this is so awesome to try and find themselves in the E.R.

I do not want for this thread to become a discussion about handling, this is not the place for such a conversation.

I just want to strongly suggest ALL members of SF, to adhere to placing a disclaimer with their photos when they handle scorpions on said photo. Which they can add under their respective pictures. This just could be a few lines of text, not much, just that it's there.

I'll even chip in and try to design the disclaimer myself, and you know what.. if necessary I offer myself as moderator to help monitor it

I want to help prevent scorpions & humans getting hurt one way of the other, and the consequences of said.
And this feeling has been with me for a while now, time to do something with it.

Let me know what you think.

Joey

Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/8/2013, 5:58 pm

+1 Joey Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/9/2013, 7:57 am

Bayss wrote:
+1 Joey Very Happy

Thanks Bayss:)
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/9/2013, 8:17 pm

added a disclaimer to my sig so people don't go holding death stalkers Razz

should be some on my vids already.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/9/2013, 8:20 pm

bjaeger wrote:
added a disclaimer to my sig so people don't go holding death stalkers Razz

should be some on my vids already.

Nice one bro!

Tnx!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/10/2013, 12:02 pm

I thought we had a rule agains handling pictures...it seems like we don't. I think the staff needs to discuss this issue I'd personally prefer 0 handling pictures because it set a bad example. I don't much care if someone personally does it I have no problem with those kind of pictures on someones facebook. But I'd prefer this place be a place of learning for the hobbiest and we don't want to set pottentially dangerous behaviors.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/10/2013, 12:05 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
I thought we had a rule agains handling pictures...it seems like we don't. I think the staff needs to discuss this issue I'd personally prefer 0 handling pictures because it set a bad example. I don't much care if someone personally does it I have no problem with those kind of pictures on someones facebook. But I'd prefer this place be a place of learning for the hobbiest and we don't want to set pottentially dangerous behaviors.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/11/2013, 12:30 am

I'm a fan of no handling photos on the forum. New members, individuals looking for a cheap thrill or someone not realizing the risk involved could easily get injured. I know there are experienced people here who are perfectly capable of handling...you know the risks involved.

I've held mine in the past...but as I gained more knowledge about the stress it causes the scorpion, I quit...cold turkey...no meetings. I don't handle anything in my fish tank either...mostly for the same reasons as outlined above.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/11/2013, 4:27 am

Bayss wrote:
I'm a fan of no handling photos on the forum. New members, individuals looking for a cheap thrill or someone not realizing the risk involved could easily get injured. I know there are experienced people here who are perfectly capable of handling...you know the risks involved.

I've held mine in the past...but as I gained more knowledge about the stress it causes the scorpion, I quit...cold turkey...no meetings. I don't handle anything in my fish tank either...mostly for the same reasons as outlined above.

Excellent reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/11/2013, 4:56 am

Concept disclaimer

Feed free to comment Smile

Joey

Disclaimer: Keeping scorpions is a serious hobby, which demands constant acuity and vigilance. Handling should only be performed by those who are most experienced to do this and on their own risk. Failing to adhere to this can either cause serious physical harm, or result in death.
No person under the legal age of their respective laws or without proper training should attempt this at home. Be safe and responsible!
Back to top Go down
dakuan
Hadogenes
dakuan

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/11/2013, 5:39 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:

+1

Handling venomous scorpions is like taking an alligator out for a walk or giving a Crotalus spp. a goodnight hug.

You don't do it.

Just be responsible with every animal you keep and avoid trouble at all costs.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/17/2013, 11:38 am

I agree Eddy, that handling pictures shouldn't be allowed. Scorpions aren't pets for 'petting'. They don't gain anything from being handled and there is always the risk of injury to scorpion and/or owner. Pictures of scorpions being handled, even if by an accomplished keeper who isn't doing it for kicks, will only set a bad example to new comers.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/17/2013, 12:30 pm

I understand what you guys are saying and after hearing what everyone has to say on it, I have to agree. I apologize for being one of the catalysts for all this. I, personally, agree with Eddy on the no handling pictures period sentiment. It makes it a lot easier and less room for error. If we put a disclaimer, there's no guarantees that that disclaimer will be read or followed.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/19/2013, 12:37 pm

What about pics of handling emps or similar super docile scorpions that are handled regularly?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/19/2013, 1:24 pm

Callum B wrote:
I agree Eddy, that handling pictures shouldn't be allowed. Scorpions aren't pets for 'petting'. They don't gain anything from being handled and there is always the risk of injury to scorpion and/or owner. Pictures of scorpions being handled, even if by an accomplished keeper who isn't doing it for kicks, will only set a bad example to new comers.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/19/2013, 1:30 pm

Alrighty. Understood. Just clearing it up and making sure so there is no question from anyone. I'm sure that the handling emps thing will be an issue more often than other species.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/20/2013, 1:12 pm

I hate handling pics as much as the next guy, but I do think that there might be some circumstances in which they are acceptable. (With a disclaimer of course.)

For example, when Cornell has their "Insectapalooza" event, I'm typically over there helping out in one of the live "bug" rooms. The rooms can get very crowded during the middle of the day, so it's often easier for people to see the animal if someone is handling it. Obviously only benign animals are handled, those that are medically significant or are completely unsuited for handling are under supervision by the staff. At events such as these, nearly everyone takes pictures, and it's actually fairly difficult for a clear picture of anything to be taken while it's in a tank with 20 people surrounding it. Therefore most decent pictures will either be handling pics (nobody comes within a 4 foot radius of the person doing the handling unless we're letting people handle a cockroach or they're in the butterfly room) or if you stay after the event has ended; in which case you will most likely be asked to leave within 15-20 minutes if you're not helping clean up. Heck, I'm sure there must be a hundred pictures of me handling everything from butterflies to scorpions to vinegaroons to leaf-insects floating around on phones, cameras and computers of people living in this area.

So in short, I feel that handling pics are acceptable as long as there is a disclaimer, none of the animals or people were harmed, and it was done for some sort of educational event.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/20/2013, 2:53 pm

They're not saying you can't take handling pictures and share them... On Facebook and stuff like that is fine. They're just saying not to post them here.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/20/2013, 4:03 pm

Yes, I'm aware of what they're saying, my post was regarding specifically to this forum. (It's not as if we can control who posts what on FB either.)

In case I was unclear, the only handling pics that I think are fine are those that were taken at some sort of educational event. That being said, I also think that it's a bit extreme to not allow handling pics to be posted here on the forum. 

I think the SF staff should discuss this further before we decide on anything. I'm sure that everyone on the forum can agree that there should at least be a rule that you have to post a disclaimer before posting a handling pic though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty6/20/2013, 4:52 pm

I agree this is a tought one for me. I think an exception can be made to educational photos and I think we're all guilty of handiling our scorpion pets at least once. But this topic is open for debate and I think we can come up with something reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion handling diclaimers   Scorpion handling diclaimers Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion handling diclaimers
Page 1 of 1