The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-02-18

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty
PostSubject: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/19/2014, 2:18 pm

This is a pic of my first set-up.

When I bought my scorpion i thought I picked out the right bedding but seems like she can't burrow or anything...
Its some sort of bark stuff, is that okay? Does it hold in humidity? Should I get different stuff?

Also if you look at the back of the tank on the side, i have two heat pads, are they in the right place? I had them lower so it would touch the bedding but I was scared she was going to bake herself lol...

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 1zyaf74

In the pick you can kinda see how the bark bedding looks.

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 2nbhpo2

Should I switch up, or would this be fine for now, until i change the tank in couple months?
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/23/2014, 8:40 am

HI!

I will try to help you out...

NJE wrote:
This is a pic of my first set-up.

When I bought my scorpion i thought I picked out the right bedding but seems like she can't burrow or anything...
Its some sort of bark stuff, is that okay? Does it hold in humidity? Should I get different stuff?

It's some kind of reptibark, used for terrestrial exotics. It's good as an addition to the toplayer of substrate, but pure bark is not suitable for burrowers. Get some compressed coco peat, they come in "bricks"you get a lot out of a brick and that material is excellent for digging, you can also use peat, but without added nutrients, manure etc.

example of coco peat for my P. Cavimanus
My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 75089_508819465824130_1878670651_n

Also use a thicker layer of peat, so it can burrow properly.

NJE wrote:

Also if you look at the back of the tank on the side, i have two heat pads, are they in the right place? I had them lower so it would touch the bedding but I was scared she was going to bake herself lol...

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 1zyaf74

In the pick you can kinda see how the bark bedding looks.

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 2nbhpo2

Should I switch up, or would this be fine for now, until i change the tank in couple months?

[/quote]

The heat pads are in the right place, not on the bottom but side, and it may reach the layer of subtrate. the scorpion must be able to thermoregulate and choose it's temperature properly by changing location, it must be able to get away from the heat or there indeed is a chance of overheating your pet.

My advice switch up now, get it right and in a proper state for the animal, the rest of your set up is just fine.
Just get the peat, or compressed coco fiber, put in a nice layer you can put some of the reptibark back in as a bit of deco, I use it too in that way.

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 5537_527564817282928_668479280_n

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? 306926_547902638582479_1992874184_n

A large shallow waterdish will help you with humidity, mist the tank often, keep humidity up. Moss looks great, be sure to check for pests etc. in it, when you use Natural material.

Also get nice fitting hide for it, it must be able to hide to reduce stress and get away from the light to a nice dark burrow. It's now sitting in the corner, exposed and it's not able to display it's Natural behavior.

If you have more questions, post them and/or pics, and I will try my best to help you.
You're on the right track, now make it all fitting for the animal.

Good luck!

Take care,

Joey
Back to top Go down
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/23/2014, 12:25 pm

Thank you for the help. I did change the substrate. and decided im going to get it a heat bulb because my heat pads arennot giving enough heat
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/24/2014, 4:40 pm

NJE wrote:
Thank you for the help. I did change the substrate. and decided im going to get it a heat bulb because my heat pads arennot giving enough heat

Ok, I would suggest picking up an infrared lamp, be sure that it isn't to close to the substrate.
Infrared doesn't bother the scorpion as much as normal bright light.
I would let the heat pads stick, as night time heaters, they come in pretty handy.
I use them all year round, always on, except for the warm seasons.

take care,

Joe
Back to top Go down
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/24/2014, 5:15 pm

yep just picked up an infered. and using it only for day and heat pad at night Smile
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/24/2014, 5:28 pm

Good work man.
Back to top Go down
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/24/2014, 5:35 pm

Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
orion_rmw
Pandinus
orion_rmw

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/25/2014, 4:45 pm

Eventually, you're going to have some questions about maintaining humidity. I would suggest looking at the "[HOW TO] Scorpion Guides / Tutorials" and reading the "[HOW TO] Building a False Bottom" thread by Abyss; it's almost to the bottom. This is an easy set up that I started to use and have never had an issue with RH since. I don't even bother with a humidity meter with this configuration. There are several helpful threads to read in this section as well. Another suggestion is to get some isopods and put them in the enclosure as well; they help in keeping the vivarium clean by eating any fungus, left overs and help control mites if you get any (hopefully you won't!). You'll get lots of help with this forum.
 headbang
Back to top Go down
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty2/25/2014, 5:12 pm

ib read all the HOW TO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?   My first Emp scorpion, is this okay? Empty

Back to top Go down

My first Emp scorpion, is this okay?
Page 1 of 1