The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

limp, high heat. too hot.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

limp, high heat. too hot. Empty
PostSubject: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 12:38 am

hey

my emperor scorpion are like limp and not moving , moving a little bit, still alive

but im on the third floor apartment, the sun beats on the roof and makes the third floor bake, like super hot

my temperature cages the other day was between 100-110 degrees

that's without AC

with an AC blasting on high, its still 90-95 degrees during the day in my apartment.

my tarantulas seem to be doing fine but my emps are in danger

and im about to buy 13 florida bark scorpion, I hope my animals don't die !
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 2:51 am

just put your inverts away from walls or windows. put them somewhere dark to compensate with the heat
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 7:02 am

yeah they are away from windows

there really isn't much I can do exept hope that my air conditioners don't quit
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 7:06 am

oh yeah I forgot and one more thing I need to do is put shades on my windows

it will keep the sun out

but tha animals are in front of windows
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 12:20 pm

Yes, keep them away from windows and walls that will be hit by sunlight.

How deep is the substrate for your emps at the moment? Make sure there's enough for them to burrow to escape the heat.

Also, WATER.

Make sure there is plenty of it, and that the substrate is kept moist. (Which will help keep cool in addition to proper humidity).
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 4:10 pm

I went out to the store today, and bought shades for all my windows,

so no sunlight is getting in.... im hoping that will make it cooler

the tarantulas are in the living room and I have an AC in living room that I keep running during the day

and the scorps are in my bedroom, im putting an AC in my bedroom window within the next hour to keep running at night

im rotating usage of the AC units so they don't burn out

and I keep my emp tank misted and substrate damp

Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 7:48 pm

or you could stand your emp enclosure on a wide tray filled with water to slightly lower the surrounding air temp as well raise humidity a bit
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 11:06 pm

yeah well I just had one of the emps out and took pictures of it

its very slow moving and I could touch its claws, touch his stinger, and it wouldn't get defensive at all

its like sluggish and limp.

I hope I get the temperature under control

because I was planning on starting a breeding colony of bark scorps but ill have to see how they react to the heat, if they are like my emps I wont be breeding anything.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/2/2013, 11:37 pm

I dug them up cuase I thought for sure one was dead

but to my surprise 3 were active and aggressive

only the one that was sitting out in the open, the one I took pics of, is sick

the dirt was dry underneath, the surface was damp,

so I dampened all the dirt and now they can make new burrows

Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/3/2013, 1:28 am

the lower half of the substrate should be the damp part, not the upper half. i think they have a separate thread here regarding false bottom setups. another trick you could do to save up on electricity bill is get some laptop coolers/fan. put them on top of your enclosure in an inverted manner so the hot air temp goes out. only then can the substrate be dampened but not to the point that it gets too soggy
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/3/2013, 1:54 am

exoticvirus wrote:

the lower half of the substrate should be the damp part, not the upper half. i think they have a separate thread here regarding false bottom setups. another trick you could do to save up on electricity bill is get some laptop coolers/fan. put them on top of your enclosure in an inverted manner so the hot air temp goes out. only then can the substrate be dampened but not to the point that it gets too soggy
wouldn't the vibrations from the fans stress/annoy the scorps? i've been wondering that for a while because i want to install some of my extra pc fans in my 'bug cabinet' for some added air circulation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty6/3/2013, 9:13 pm

bjaeger wrote:
exoticvirus wrote:

wouldn't the vibrations from the fans stress/annoy the scorps? i've been wondering that for a while because i want to install some of my extra pc fans in my 'bug cabinet' for some added air circulation.

you can use a netbook fan instead of laptop coolers so that it oscillates more quietly. i'm using the same method as well for every summer, setting it up a bit high to avoid unnecessary drying of the substrate. i have scorpions popping and molting under that fan so i guess they're fine by it and got used to it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: limp, high heat. too hot.   limp, high heat. too hot. Empty

Back to top Go down

limp, high heat. too hot.
Page 1 of 1