The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Possible molt help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty5/22/2013, 11:19 pm

Okay so I think my haddy may be molting. She has dug down to the rock on the side I have the false bottom (no water in there yet) on and is kicking up rock to the surface. Im noticing more and more rocks on the surface so she is digging deeper. I also noticed a possible split right under her mouth. I cant be sure thats what it is. Does anyone know what precautions I can take or what I should be looking for? Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Possible molt help Imag0219

Possible molt help Imag0214

Possible molt help Imag0215

Possible molt help Imag0216

Possible molt help Imag0217

Possible molt help Imag0218

Last edited by guats85 on 5/23/2013, 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty5/22/2013, 11:59 pm

They dig...it's their job! Could you post a few pics of the burrow. Haddies rarely molt successfully in captivity. They tend to be very lethargic when molting. If your's is actively digging I doubt it's super close to a molt. Pics will help if you can post them.
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty5/23/2013, 1:26 am

Bayss wrote:
They dig...it's their job! Could you post a few pics of the burrow. Haddies rarely molt successfully in captivity. They tend to be very lethargic when molting. If your's is actively digging I doubt it's super close to a molt. Pics will help if you can post them.
Now what do you mean they rarely molt succesfully?im thinking of getting a young one now im nervous lol
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty5/23/2013, 1:52 am

It's hard to see how plump it is, but don't worry about the digging. There doesn't look to be any problem with the exoskeleton around the mouth. They have split mouth parts.

The problem with Haddies molting in captivity is they are very prone to mycosis (a fungal infection) if there is too much humidity. It is difficult to replicate the proper humidity gradient they need to molt. False bottom tanks can work if the substrate is deep enough. Search for Shebeen's tutorial on false bottom enclosures. If possible, it's best to get an adult Hadrurus so you don't have to worry about molts.
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty5/23/2013, 2:00 am

She is definatly not a baby. I hope she is done with molting and wont have to go through the risky process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Possible molt help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible molt help   Possible molt help Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible molt help
Page 1 of 1