The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

2 tanks , what to put in ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
davie101
Pandinus

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-12-14

2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty
PostSubject: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/28/2012, 7:39 pm

Hi guys, i have two tanks , one which is already set up and pretty much raring to go its just a wee 10 gallon tank with coco fibre substrate etc .

And the other tank a big 4ft/2ft which is empty .

What do u guys suggest , i would like a species that dont mind company providing i make sure there is plenty of food and hides for each scorp maby 3 or 4 Scorps in the big tank and then just one Scorp in the smaller tank . The bigger the better for the one thats gona be on its own .

Oh could u please use non scientific / common names as i m a new comer to this hobbie but have been reading / watching up on them for a few months now .

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
VictorHernandez
Hadogenes
VictorHernandez

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/28/2012, 9:33 pm

You are going to have to learn the latin names lol
And what kind of scorp would you like? Desert or Forest, Burrower or Climber?
I think the larger one is too large for any scorp. The larger one could accommodate like 10 or more Pandinus imperator(Emperor Scorpions), or Heterometrus spinifer(Asian Forest Scorpions).
The 10 gallon could house multiple Centruroides(Bark Scorpions), or 1 Emperor.
There are many many scorpions that can be in a 10 gallon. I'm not going to list them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/captiveinvertebrates
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/29/2012, 2:20 am

davie101 wrote:

Oh could u please use non scientific / common names as i m a new comer to this hobbie but have been reading / watching up on them for a few months now .

You're going to have to learn them eventually, might as well start now. You might wonder why you have to learn them.

Ok, what species is a scorpion is this?: Asian Forest Scorpion

Well, that (if we're lucky) narrows it down to every single member of the genus Heterometrus. See the issue?

You might get a kick out of this: (It's with tarantulas, but the principle's the same.) http://www.atshq.org/articles/stanholycow.pdf

Anyway. . .have you checked this out? https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t2198-info-scorp-o-matic-choose-your-scorpion-wizard

As for your giant tank, I'd personally set up a communal enclosure of Heterometrus or perhaps get a massive colony of a Centruroides/Tityus species.

What's your experience level with scorps by the way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/30/2012, 3:18 pm

I have no experience with scorps , so its all very new , But i m very keen . Not too keen on dessert or climbing scorps tbh so anything apart from those kind .

Any advice is very much appreciated .
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/30/2012, 3:22 pm

In that case, a colony of Heterometrus (forest scorpions) sounds good for you.

Care is the same as emps. . .be sure to check out the [ASA] section for more information.
Back to top Go down
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/30/2012, 3:49 pm

Brilliant thanks , i may go with that .
Prob an Emp for the 10gallon

Oh also for a tank with a colony , will they share hides ?
Back to top Go down
VictorHernandez
Hadogenes
VictorHernandez

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/30/2012, 8:36 pm

Heterometrus tend to be more aggressive than Emps. Emps are more communal. I think a colony of Emps, and a single Heterometrus would be better, but it's up to you.
And it would be better to have maybe one more hide than however many scorps there is, but that's just my idea. They can share hides.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/captiveinvertebrates
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/30/2012, 10:10 pm

I agree with Victor.
Back to top Go down
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/31/2012, 1:23 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty12/31/2012, 7:04 pm

I personally think that both species do equally well in communal setups, but hey, it's up to you.

As for the individual tank, Pandinus cavimanus is a nice species as well.
Back to top Go down
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty1/3/2013, 6:53 pm

Ok so i ve been thinking about the communal tank for the big 4ft . I ve been told i could fit prob atleast 10 Pandinus imperator in it but i dont think i could have enough hides . Thinking six might be a nice number and still provide atleast one hide per scorp .
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty1/3/2013, 11:36 pm

The hides don't have to be real large. Just big enough for the emp to crawl into is perfect. It would be best to have at least one more hide than scorp. So for 6 scorps have at least 7 hides.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty1/4/2013, 6:37 pm

robert44 wrote:
The hides don't have to be real large. Just big enough for the emp to crawl into is perfect. It would be best to have at least one more hide than scorp. So for 6 scorps have at least 7 hides.

+1.
Back to top Go down
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty1/5/2013, 6:01 pm

Ok great thanks
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty1/7/2013, 11:37 pm

well i might be wrong but i think you could put more than 10 emperors in a 4ft by 2 ft.

i had my 5 emps in a 20 gallon with multiple hides

they just didnt use the space or the hides

now i have 5 emperors (2 adults) in a 10 gallon tank, and they are doing great.

they will probably all use the same burrow no matter how many hides you have

ken the bug guy told me i could put 10 emperors in a 20 gallon. and 4ft by 2 ft is even bigger.

i would also put a flat rock slate in there so they can mate.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 tanks , what to put in ?   2 tanks , what to put in ? Empty

Back to top Go down

2 tanks , what to put in ?
Page 1 of 1