The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Discussion] Androctonus spp.

Go down 
+34
shaneshac
steven555
shadowfoot
Scorpion19981000
scorpmania
Wearelegion
bluefrogtat2
Henderson
lycanlord
Obeah
tfleming
tdark1
Chrome
AnthonyNeubauer
spinnin_tom
nivlaisme
69wishes
Will3
Jay
Cyanide
tlb_05
Roblicious
kingzy88
leiurusSaleen820
takos
leathalreptiles
pluto
Streettrash
Miami T
*~BEX~*
iitomodachi1
DolbyR
Vin Diesel
**GS**
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/13/2011, 5:43 pm

I know people that keep tropical scorps get rid of mites by running them under the sink with warmish water and using a brush. I don't think that would be a good idea with desert scorps though since they get mycosis easily. Mind telling where you ordered it from?
Back to top Go down
takos
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-04-17

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/13/2011, 5:45 pm

and your scorp looks skiny!!try feed him Wink
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/14/2011, 12:10 pm

Put a water bowl in front of him. Mine went RUNNING for water!!!
After that, see it gets and eat a cricket or 2.
If you keep him HOT and DRY (30-35 degrees Celsius, but with a little waterdish, shelter and food), most of the mites will die. It is way too dry and too hot for them to stick around. Especially if it is on new sand and a clean enclosure.. no way of reproduction.

That is basically the reason why mites are not much of a problem on desert species.

There will be some mites going for humid spots, so clean that up mostly and keep everything clean. Should do the trick.

As for mixing water with a tiny bit of alcohol and rubbing them off... I wouldnt do it on a Andro lol...

Try to burn them off first Twisted Evil

Btw: nice Bicolor.. how big is he? For sure a he, or definately needs a feeding!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/14/2011, 2:38 pm

i thought it was a male, it was wild cought out of egypt thats why im worried about it thank you guys for all your help please keep me posted on any other info you got for me , i have owned venomous snakes most of my life but have had a couple deathstalkers and one bicolor before but i was like 18yrs old then so i need a refresh on the scorp deal lol!! thank you all for your great info and i hope to rid this problem of mites!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/14/2011, 3:06 pm

No worries, if he is WC he prolly didnt have the mites. He caught them by sitting in too moist containers with leftovers that never got cleaned out...
If exposed too long to humid conditions, search for signs of mycosis. He probably will not have them.. but just to be sure (dark spots, that can appear anywhere)...

What is the color of the telson? And gz on your scorp. He looks cool!
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 12:25 am

well i fed him a big cricket and he took it right away ! he looks a bit fatter now ill get some more picks of him in a day or two to show you all the progress with it so you can keep up to date on what i have been doing and if it is the right way he is only about an inch long without tail mabe a little under ,he has a black body with light brownish tips on claws and feet and under it ,it has white feathers and is a greyish color on its sides it with a fat fat tail, im not too up to date on the terms u guys use for them but will learn quick i will ask u to use lame terms for now or exsplain to me the latin terms in your feedback lol!!! im just starting to really get into the cool litle guys so bare with me on this one! and some guy told me not to give them a water dish that they get all there water from there food ????? is this true?? i see yours is drinking fine! wonder why he said that?????!!! i hear too much diff stuff i have no idea where to turn lol glad i found some people that know and own the same one i do!!!
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 1:09 am

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 3_00710
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 1:15 am

and the telson is a pretty nice size to me for its size. but the gz question has me stumped! lol!! it is a very fast death to its prey i know that it took it about a min to kill it dead !!
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 1:34 am

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 3_00311
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 1:51 am

that is an adult cricket it has and u can see how small the scorp is compared to the cricket ,the scorp was said to be an adult but who knows?! not sure the sex also?! all i know is that its tail is as fat as its body almost and it has a bad temper and can kill a cricket fast!!! oh and it was wc out of egypt! it is fun to watch ,dig and run around in its cage ,i also keep track of day it was fed and anything it does i keep a log of it! i love to just watch and study it when i catch it on the move,its kinda like a zen time for me lol!!! well hope you all enjoy the pics ill post more soon .
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 4:43 am

They are great to watch!! Looks like he has happy times, so you're doing great. I was told some time ago that having a waterdish in their cage gets the humidity up. That they get a fungus from having it there. That fungus or at least the way it acts, is called Mycosis.

It eats your scorpion alive over time.

So I listened and I was wrong. If you give them a small cup it doesnt up the humidity noticeably. So I tried and they both ran for it!

From now on I always had a bottlecap filled with water on the other side of where they usually are. I sometimes catch one drinking, even with feeding regularly... I have no signs of Mycosis on them.

Are the mites dying off? Should take a while, but most will succumb to the heat and aridness if it is said like that in english? Draught?)

Cheers and happy you are happy with it.. :-)
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 4:44 pm

i put a small heat pad on its cage when i first got the scorp ,and the temp seams to want to go 75 on cool side and 80 on the hot side i still see a couple mites but they are bigger ones not too many small ones they do seam to be dieing off at least it seam to be ! my cage is only 13 inches long by 7 inches deep by 7 inches tall so its not to big thats why i dont want to chance the water dish in that small of an area,it is an acrilic cage made by tarantula cages . com it has 4 vents on top but my big thing i guess is by me just feeding it crickets that i gut load gonna be enough water for it threw the pey it gets to eat every week??! it took him till just now to finish that cricket it got yesterday at 5:00pm and its about 4pm now lol
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 4:58 pm

Try to bump the temp a bit... if it is WC it will feel more natural being able to go to hotter parts. Not to say 85 is too little, I believe they like their own body temperature around 85 degrees.. but if you want to see them being active and androlike 85 - 90 is best.

At least from what I noticed on mine....

Btw I am happy for you and your beautiful specimen it works out ok.
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 5:05 pm

ok i will heat it up more! , how long have you had your bicolor? oh and so if i use the moonlight reptile bulb it will hurt it , can i use a regular old red color lightbulb? like one from a department store???
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 5:43 pm

its a neodymium moonlight bulb by exo terra! it kinda works like a black light bulb it turns the scorp green.
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 6:19 pm

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 2_00111
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 6:28 pm

well there is a shot of him in his cage as he was finishing the last of the cricket he has in its mouth! it is a pic threw the side of the cage it is a bit blurry but my camera is not the best threw the acrilic,and if you are wondering what the bugs in the back of it is, it is a collection of bugs i have found dead around my house and ones that my car had killed going down our roads out here in the country! ill shoot a full pic of it for all you to see , i would like to get some feedback since i pined all them myself and put them in that shadow box! i know its not all scorps pinned in it but there are a few striped scorps in there that were killed by my uncles bug killer ,he hates bugs getting in our house ever since we found a scorpion and a huge tarantula on our stairs! lol!!!!
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 6:37 pm

That's a good looking tank man! I like when setups have more than just one "decoration" in them.

If the moonlight bulb you have makes him glow then it's probably bad for him to have prolonged exposure to it. As for the red bulb, I'd suggest getting one of the infrared heat bulbs from the pet store. The kind that is sort of flat on the top instead of round like a regular bulb. This allows for a more pointed light that will create a hot spot and radiate outward from there.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 7:04 pm

It looks really good yes! I have had Bicolors from when I was 15 years old. Dunno but I never looked further and started out straight with them. Never went back.

I am thinking about getting some Parabuthus Villosus or something, but they will never get the level of admiration these little boogers get from me. You got to respect something that small, that can run THAT fast and have a nasty attitude toward everything that comes in its cage. I swear mine can jump while pointing their tails toward everything in a split second, if they're going full out psycho.

As for the lighting. Street covered it. The blacklights are visible to the scorpion and might or might not harm it. But it will freak it out if it will be shining on them for too long. It will hide, and you will not see your scorpion much. It is indeed better to put an infrared on him during the night, as Street said .. a spotlight. This gives warmth to a spot and they can run away from that spot if they get too hot (which is never gonna happen but to be sure it can if it wants to).

It is assumed inverts cannot see the red light, therefore it will not scare them. From what I see at home, is that.. they indeed do not run for shelter when the red lights go on.

CHeers and goodnight
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 7:55 pm

cool thank you guys ill find an infared bulb for it and just use a regular light to check on it every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 9:50 pm

I use a flashlight.

Here's a pic of my tiny scorpling A. Bicolor.

Last edited by Streettrash on 5/15/2011, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/15/2011, 10:35 pm

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's better!
Back to top Go down
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-05-11

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/16/2011, 1:57 am

Nice scorpionling Streettrash.
Why are scorpion babies so damn cute?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/16/2011, 2:11 am

cheers very nice looking young bugger. Don't worrie Street, its what you bought it for.. bounce
Back to top Go down
leathalreptiles
Hadogenes
leathalreptiles

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty5/16/2011, 3:17 am

that is some nice lookin scorps !!! i must say i wish i had a baby one to watch it molt and grow from a scorpling !! it is the best part of owning them i think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Androctonus spp.
Page 2 of 23Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next