The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool

Go down 
+2
Roger
LXDNG79
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty8/10/2010, 11:24 am

Homelab Borneo - Thought I'd give my communal Pandinus imperator tank a permanent upgrade from this small temporary vivarium
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpTrnfr3
I had 4 sub-adults, two of which recently molted into maturity... (originally 5 but 1 died in a bad molt).
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpTrnfr
...and a plant that was outgrowing this old tank....

This is the new setup which includes live plants and a pool at the bottom-left corner.
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpPalace
The banks of the corner pool are held in place by to large rocks and layers of pebbles and sand
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpPalaceISO
I soaked them all in the pool when I put them in... and one crawled-up towards the bank and molted almost immediately
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpPool

Here are the dens... this one is most likely about to molt...
enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool EmpPalaceBunks

Hope you guys/gals like the setup and the pics Cheers...

Last edited by LXDNG79 on 8/10/2010, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Hadogenes
Roger

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty8/10/2010, 12:35 pm

That's awesome.

How are you keeping the water in the pool from just soaking into your substrate and disappearing? I tried something similar and my pool kept disappearing while my substrate became nothing less than mud.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty8/10/2010, 2:49 pm

It appears he has sand and gravel. He may also have used some clay to line it where we cannot see to make it more water tight.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty8/10/2010, 8:42 pm

anemiaffx wrote:
It appears he has sand and gravel. He may also have used some clay to line it where we cannot see to make it more water tight.

its actually quite simple.... imagine a false bottom setup with the margin between the substrate and the gravel + sand ... try to avoid the water line from exceeding the margin....

when I first set this up... I too had the mud-bath at the burrow... I just simply wedged the foreground rock piece in....
creating somewhat of a hill of sand and gravel barrier at the bank... raising the false bottom level at the water line then topple over the potting soil... forest bark and forest moss....

Neither do I flood the pool to its limit (causing a mud ball in the sub-chambers), just up to the false bottom line.

No clay, adhesives or foam rigs were used in this setup... just precision decor placement... i.e. the driftwood is held down by one of the rock pieces at the bank.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty9/1/2010, 4:46 am

I never got to see this thread.
Great setup and awesome pool Smile
I will have to try it
Back to top Go down
mezzle992
Centruroides
mezzle992

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty9/4/2010, 12:30 pm

i wouldent mind my tank looking like that for the spinifers i want but i wouldent know where to start at the moment its just an 18x 18x 18 tank, substrate, log and water dish and a rock effect wall.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty2/28/2013, 6:11 am

This is absolutely stunning. One of the most naturalistic emp set ups I have yet seen.

How are they now??

Note:
I have revived this topic, mainly because of the current discussion about water sources with Emps.
This thread was used as reference many times, and I thought the new members also would like to see this stunning example of naturalistic scaping.

Take care,

Joey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool   enclosure - Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus imperator - Communal Enclosure with a Pool
Page 1 of 1