The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Help with ID - Euscorpius

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
neles
Pandinus
neles

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-18

Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty
PostSubject: Help with ID - Euscorpius   Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty5/18/2010, 4:21 pm

Hi people Smile First post, so just wanted to say hi and what an awesome site you've got here Smile

Now, I'm not a scorpion fanatic, per se, but since I am kind of a freak in my own way, and my astrological sign IS Scorpio, I guess it is quite natural way of things for me to inquire about the first ever scorpion I've seen in my life - ever.

Help with ID - Euscorpius Smalle10

Help with ID - Euscorpius Bigger10

I found it in my grandparents demolished house, just after rebuilding, since the house was almost completely destroyed during the war. Two rooms were rebuilt and renovated, but one of the two were we found this little fellow, was not.

Help with ID - Euscorpius House10

My friends and I were stupefied, since not even my father, who was born there, nor I, who spent almost every vacation there until 1995, never saw or heard anything about these little guys in the area, and basically, no one even believed I found a scorpion there until I showed them the following photos. Sure, there are bunch of other critters, like all sorts of weird insects, and kinda awesome but particularly nasty Vipera ammodytes, but scorpions...no way.

As for this baby, I figured it has to be some kind of Euscorpius genus, but that is as far as I can go. I know the photographs are not as clear as one could hope, but those were taken 4 years ago. Scorp was ignoring our puzzled looks and photography session, but while I turned around to search for a jar, hoping to "capture" it and take it with me, it scurried away somewhere, and I have never seen one since.

Help with ID - Euscorpius Closeu10

There is no reference object for size comparison, but in my personal approximation, it was really tiny, 2-3cm in length at most. We found it in the (relatively) open space, a crumbling window sill (as in the photo - original lighting, no flash used), in the middle of the day.

Help with ID - Euscorpius Humidi10

Since the house was under the influence of elements for almost 11 years, the humidity was still a factor (that clock thing was displaying 86% the other day - it took 24 hours of the constant fire in the fireplace for humidity to drop from the initial 92%), and since it was august, the temperatures were mostly over 18 degrees Celsius. The house is located at the western Bosnia's mountainous, forest region (though the house itself is on a grassy plane), at the altitude of around 500 meters, right at the edge of the Grmeč mountain chain.

For more adventurous of you I invite you for a weekend and BBQ Smile Or the couch potatoes can drop in on Google Earth on the following coordinates: 44°46'51.46"N 16°15'42.83"E

Huh, this was a long one. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes Smile But I appreciate any info you can provide Smile

And that BBQ offer still stands Smile

Cheerio,
Nenad
Back to top Go down
http://www.phyler.com
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Help with ID - Euscorpius   Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty5/19/2010, 1:50 am

Welcome to the forum Smile

Scorpions as you probably know are very common amongst us on the site, and I'm sure you'll be able to attain a scorpion very easily from a shop or breeder etc.

If you have any questions or aren't sure about something, feel free to ask for help. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Help with ID - Euscorpius   Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty5/20/2010, 12:58 am

looks like a Euscorpius germanus from that angle and from where you described where you found it. Going off of mountain elevation and humid area since i've heard germanus are known to be found in mountain areas.
Back to top Go down
neles
Pandinus
neles

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Help with ID - Euscorpius   Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty5/20/2010, 2:44 am

Wow, thanks and thanks, I'll do some more research with this info, kind of hoping to find the little bugger somehow - that would be fascinating Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.phyler.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with ID - Euscorpius   Help with ID - Euscorpius Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with ID - Euscorpius
Page 1 of 1