The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion drinking allot of water??

Go down 
+2
gromgroms
EXOTICNIGHTMARES
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EXOTICNIGHTMARES
Pandinus
EXOTICNIGHTMARES

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty12/31/2009, 6:13 pm

Hi
Iv noticed over the past month or so my emperor has begun drinking allot of water from his dish,its an exo terra small water dish and he is drinking all the water out of it each night,is this normal? I have checked the temp and humidity and both are fine! scratch
thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty12/31/2009, 6:54 pm

just how he is
Back to top Go down
EXOTICNIGHTMARES
Pandinus
EXOTICNIGHTMARES

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty12/31/2009, 7:04 pm

gromgroms wrote:
just how he is
Thanks bro,i was wondering because this has just started in the past few weeks if it ment a moult or somethin was gonna happen? I know emps like it humid guess they like drinkin too! Very Happy
Craig
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty12/31/2009, 9:01 pm

How big is the water dish?

I used to have a big water dish which suddenly began to empty out nightly or every two days either because of the heat or most likely they seem to get tiny gaps in them that you can't see where the water just slowly disappears.

At least that was my conclusion as there was no way that the baby scorps could be drinking that much and in that period of time.

Also whats the humdity like in your tank, if its low then he could be thirsty and needs the moisture.
Back to top Go down
EXOTICNIGHTMARES
Pandinus
EXOTICNIGHTMARES

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/1/2010, 11:34 am

binksyboy3 wrote:
How big is the water dish?

I used to have a big water dish which suddenly began to empty out nightly or every two days either because of the heat or most likely they seem to get tiny gaps in them that you can't see where the water just slowly disappears.
Also whats the humdity like in your tank, if its low then he could be thirsty and needs the moisture.

The water dish is a small exoterra type and the soil round it isnt wet so im sure its not leeking out!! the humidity is always 75-80% in is tank
He seems fine and still eats and burrows etc.. i wasnt sure because all the scorps I have had before have been desert types so I was wondering if Emperor scorpions drink allot of water in general??
Craig
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/1/2010, 2:55 pm

Ive found my water dish just dries up on its own within a matter of about 2 minutes and its a big one!! you can literally watch the water disappear! i think it might have something to do with the humidity in the air it somehow conducts the water out of the dish and into the air, at least thats my theory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/2/2010, 1:12 am

I've seen my scorps drink, but not that much lol so I can only say it's evaporation and a result of the water's surface tension. It's quite annoying at times filling the water bowl so often lol. Make sure if you have a heat bulb to place it away from the bowl. Other than that, get a deeper and wider water dish, then fill it with a few small rocks and a couple large ones. Helps with crickets not drowning and raises the water level, helps a bit with humidity as well. I also noticed that on a few water bowls, like the rock ones, the rough texture of the bowl makes for easy water loss since the water can collect on/in the rough texture and move upwards. A good bowl is one that doesn't let the water "travel" or soak itself upwards and into the material. Plastic bowls for example.
This is just from what i've observed, so correct me if i'm wrong Smile
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/2/2010, 6:39 am

H. laoticus wrote:
I've seen my scorps drink, but not that much lol so I can only say it's evaporation and a result of the water's surface tension. It's quite annoying at times filling the water bowl so often lol. Make sure if you have a heat bulb to place it away from the bowl. Other than that, get a deeper and wider water dish, then fill it with a few small rocks and a couple large ones. Helps with crickets not drowning and raises the water level, helps a bit with humidity as well. I also noticed that on a few water bowls, like the rock ones, the rough texture of the bowl makes for easy water loss since the water can collect on/in the rough texture and move upwards. A good bowl is one that doesn't let the water "travel" or soak itself upwards and into the material. Plastic bowls for example.
This is just from what i've observed, so correct me if i'm wrong Smile

Probably what happened to mine.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/2/2010, 11:27 pm

Are you sure it's a "he"? Not jumping to conclusions or anything, but my female H. longimanus was drinking a lot of water shortly before she gave birth . . . Chin Scratch
Back to top Go down
EXOTICNIGHTMARES
Pandinus
EXOTICNIGHTMARES

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty1/3/2010, 1:58 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Are you sure it's a "he"? Not jumping to conclusions or anything, but my female H. longimanus was drinking a lot of water shortly before she gave birth . . . Chin Scratch
Shocked I did give the pectines a quick check so im guessing its a male although im not 100% lol
Last night i placed a damp towel over the top vents of the tank,this morning the dish was under 1/2 full so im guessing it must be evaporating even though its at the cooler end of the tank! scratch
Either way thanks for the help and advice guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion drinking allot of water??   Scorpion drinking allot of water?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion drinking allot of water??
Page 1 of 1