The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Inbreeding in scorpions?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty
PostSubject: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 4:07 am

A random question, can siblings mate with each other? I know that inter-family matings in mammals will lead to genetic problems, scorpions?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 4:18 am

I dont think they do. I believe mother knows her young from scent markings...so im guessing siblings know the same about each other. I cant imagine they would mate with each other.

Well my babies wont all be together at that moment in their life as will be rehomed

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 11:37 am

There's nothing wrong so far as I'm aware of inbreeding with invertebrates. It doesn't seem to be so much of an issue as it is with say, mammals (otherwise feeder roach colonies wouldn't last very long). You can also do an exchange with other hobbyists every few generations to keep your scorpions' gene pool well-mixed.

In the wild emperors live in large family burrows, so I imagine inbreeding is quite common in those circumstances.

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 3/3/2008, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 11:50 am

Inbreeding isn't a big concern but it has caused smaller scorpion when refering to P.imps. Most hobbyist try to mix in the bloodlines just to ensure nothing goes wrong.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 12:07 pm

That's good to hear. I was initially worried that problems would arise when my babies mature and mate. They're from the same brood. =)
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty3/3/2008, 3:21 pm

I know from mantis that its possible to inbreed them for a few generations, then they mate and nothing happens, it might be the same thing for scorps, i can imagen that you can inbreed them and nothing will happen but if you keep doing it, then the outcome whould be nothing like the Mantis, i dont belive you whould have "freak" scorpions with missing legs and stuff like we see with us humaniods.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in scorpions?   Inbreeding in scorpions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Inbreeding in scorpions?
Page 1 of 1