The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My little African giant baby

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-03-01

My little African giant baby Empty
PostSubject: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 2:41 am

I love this little guy. I can't wait to get a nice colony going.
I've always loved these. Years back I had a couple of adults, I had them a few years and they passed. I always wanted to try and breed them. I'm hoping this little guy can be the start.

I've never had one this small, any tips?
My little African giant baby Empore17
My little African giant baby Empore18
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 3:21 am

I hear they go nuts over oak bark. Put some of that in there and let it rot. Make sure its pesticide free and cleaned of well.

May I ask where you got it from?
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 3:34 am

I've got tons of oak bark after Sandy.
Just put some pieces in there?
Should I just use very hot water to clean it or should I nuke it or something?
I saw someone else using oak leaves also, I'll give it a shot.
I traded a pair of red tailed boas for the millipede, 9 little emporers, an A. bicolor, and what I thought was an A. crassicauda but is a Orthochrius sp., and a small dubia colony.
I'm not sure where he got it.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 12:54 pm

Patcho wrote:
I hear they go nuts over oak bark. Put some of that in there and let it rot. Make sure its pesticide free and cleaned of well.
Not quite. They need a food substrate comprised of 50% rotting hardwood and decaying leaves and 50% base material. The base material can be compost, ground coco-fiber or potting soil. I prefer coco-fiber. If you use the other two, make sure they're pesticide free. Preferred hardwoods are oak, beech and elm. The rotting wood should be soft enough to scratch with your finger nail and crush in your hand. Leaves should be collected after they've been decaying on the ground for several months. I wouldn't use bark, just rotting wood and leaves. Bake anything collected outdoors in a 200F oven for 30 minutes to pasteurize before adding to your enclosure.

For my adults, I've got 2 inches of food substrate on top of 6 inches of base substrate. For a little guy like yours, 1 inch of food substrate on top of 1-2 inches of base should be sufficient. As a rule of thumb, your substrate should be at least as deep as the length of your millipede. AGBs, being tropical, do well between 77-82F. Once or twice a week, I offer mine supplemental foods like: cucumber, mellon, carrot, apple, yam and kale. Remove any uneaten supplemental food after two days or if it begins to mold.
Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 3:22 pm

Man that thing is cool lookin! I never got into myriapods. Very interesting specimen you have there.
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty3/6/2013, 6:17 pm

shebeen,
Thanks for all the great info. I want to keep this little guy as happy as possible. Right now he's on a mix of Zilla jungle bedding and coco fiber with a little spaghum on top.
I've got tons of oak, I live in what used to be an old oak forest. Hurracaine Sandy knocked over alot of trees in town and there is rotten oak all over the park. The big oak in my yard will supply all the leaves I'll ever need. I read your posts you have an amazing collection.
Niffler
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty6/10/2013, 2:35 pm

Here's my little guy 90 days later. He's grown maybe half again from when I got him. Thanks for all the great advice.
[img]My little African giant baby Hobbs_10[/img]

[img]My little African giant baby Hobbs_11[/img]
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty6/10/2013, 8:42 pm

i have a trio of flame-legs but i know these guys grow bigger than mine.. nice! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My little African giant baby   My little African giant baby Empty

Back to top Go down

My little African giant baby
Page 1 of 1