The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Emp's new set ups.

Go down 
+9
this.super
Mako
toxxflores
~Abyss~
shebeen
Shakudo
shadowfoot
chrisc
Niffler
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-03-01

My Emp's new set ups. Empty
PostSubject: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 2:33 am

My new set-up for the nine little guys I just picked up. The first pick is the container they were given to me in. The second pic is their new home. Third and fourth pics are my two older guys and their set-up. I know some people don't dig the water gel but these guys were all raised on it.
My Emp's new set ups. Empore13
My Emp's new set ups. Empore14
My Emp's new set ups. Empore15
My Emp's new set ups. Empore16
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 3:23 am

Nice setups a few of them look ready to moult.
I would change that gell for plain old water much better for them and they can soak in it if they want to
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 3:28 am

You got some nice sausages there. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 5:46 am

shadowfoot wrote:
You got some nice sausages there. Congrats!

LOL.

They are very cute!
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 11:41 am

Niffler wrote:
I know some people don't dig the water gel but these guys were all raised on it.

That doesn't mean it's any good for them. It appears that they were also kept in a box of rocks, leading me to conclude that the original owner didn't have a clue.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 11:53 am

+1 shebeen
gel is good for roaches but it's breeding ground for bacteria and dont feed the emps efficiently. Give them a bowl of water and they'll actually drink from it and will even bathe themselves in it.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
toxxflores
Pandinus
toxxflores

Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 4:45 pm

Plump and fat little scorplings... pig
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 5:35 pm

Thanks guys, gel removed and replaced with spring water. My tap water is nasty.
Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 5:45 pm

I have recently learned at a scabies meeting that peat/sphagnum moss attracts fungis gnats due to the acidity that the moss retains.
Back to top Go down
this.super
Pandinus

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/6/2013, 7:21 pm

Niffler wrote:
Thanks guys, gel removed and replaced with spring water. My tap water is nasty.

I use bottle water as well. Chlorine in the tap water makes me nervous for my emps.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/7/2013, 11:34 am

Can you get a closer shot of the claws on one of your baby emps? I have no doubt in my mind that the larger ones are emps but in that fist picture of the babies they look like they have smoother chela then they should. But it's a little bit of long shot. It's just that every time I look at this post I wonder.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/7/2013, 11:44 am

Good eye Yames, I didn't notice that on my fisrt look through. But I think you might be right.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/7/2013, 7:00 pm

Mako wrote:

I have recently learned at a scabies meeting that peat/sphagnum moss attracts fungis gnats due to the acidity that the moss retains.

Fungus gnats aren't bad are they?
Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/7/2013, 8:55 pm

I would assume that any flying insect that was not invited is bad news. As far as the gnats being harmful to this particular species of scorpion? Not sure. Perhaps one of the experts on here could answer that for us.
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/8/2013, 3:13 am

@Yames
I haven't seen them since I moved them, come to think of it I haven't seen a single one of my new scorpions since I re-housed them, lol.
Anyway I croppped and blew up one of the pics I took when I bought them home. I hope it helps. I'm almost afraid to ask why?
My Emp's new set ups. Scorpi26
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/9/2013, 12:02 am

What we're looking for is how smooth the claws are. You see how your adult emperors have a bumpy pebble like texture. If the claws are smooth then you don't have emps at all. But rather one of the Asian forest scorpions. Zooming in doesn't give me a clearer view. It does look suspiciously smooth. At this point I'm guessing these aren't emps. But please compare yourself and take a new picture of the claws of one of them. So an expert like "scorpion lad" can chime in.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/9/2013, 11:29 am

Suspiciously smooth chelae but I'm useless when it comes to Forest scorpions...
Back to top Go down
Niffler
Pandinus
Niffler

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/11/2013, 8:06 am

Hey guys,
I checked out a few of my little guys this morning. The claws are very smooth with no pebbling that I can see.
I tried to get a good close up pic of the claws but my camera isn't that good on the close up shots. Any tips would help.
Do I need to change their care because they aren't Emps? The set up is about 88 degrees and I mist it daily to keep up humidity. It's damp not wet.
Thanks again for all the help everyone has been giving me, this forum rocks!
Niffler
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/11/2013, 9:24 am

Since they're most likely a Heterometrus sp. the care will stay the same.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/11/2013, 9:32 am

Same care. Keep up the good work just different names. They may not be as communal as emps either. But every scorp is communal until the day they decide to not be.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/11/2013, 10:59 am

I disagree Yames, I think most het. species are just as communal as emps. I used to experiment around with a community I had of 2 emps and 2 H.spinifers and I did notice some weird behavior. For example given 1 heat source they would all buddy around and share one hide (the one closest to the heat source). If given multiple options for heat or none they would seperate by species. P. imps would tend to burrow under a hide and share it between the two, while the H.spinifers wouldn't burrow as much and chose to just stay under the hides but also share it between the two.
Back to top Go down
AlbaSETI
Pandinus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty3/17/2013, 7:27 pm

What makes that "weird" behaviour? Is there something about scorpions that would make a person expect a different outcome?

I ask because it would seem intuitively logical that they would group by species if there wasn't an environmental imperative to combine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Emp's new set ups.   My Emp's new set ups. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Emp's new set ups.
Page 1 of 1