The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion Length

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/25/2012, 12:34 pm

When I get a new scorp I like to try to get a general idea of it's instar, at least whether it appears mature or still molting. I look at info regarding typical adult length to get a clue. Estimating overall length is easier said than done! One question, when a referance states that a certain scorp is say 5 to 6 cm, that obviously is when the tail is straighted out. Does the length usually also mean when the pinchers are outstretched? I.E., this would be the longest possible overall length with the tail and pichers stretched out straight.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 3:49 am

Scorpion length is always measured from the prosoma to the aculeus.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 10:09 am

DolbyR wrote:
Scorpion length is always measured from the prosoma to the aculeus.
+1

Scorpion Length Androctonus_australis_measuring_scorpion_by_GS

Scorpion Length Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic1_
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 11:21 am

Thanks that clears it up. I wish there was a reference that gave the "body" length (cephalothorax + mesoma) for adult scorps. That would be a lot easier to estimate for a live scorp.
Back to top Go down
Bakke84
Pandinus

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 1:48 pm

Just remember many sites are wrong when it comes to scorp sizes.

Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 2:11 pm

Yes I think your are correct but if you look at the average of several hopefully it would give one some idea of size at maturity. Maybe one should not put too much importance on size though.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/26/2012, 3:36 pm

It's like asking how tall are men and women. Sure there's probably an average number out there but as individuals I bet few of us hit the average dead on.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
robert44
Tityus

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/27/2012, 1:03 am

Yes you are probably right. I wonder how much maximum length is effected by a difference in feeding and temp conditions when they are growing?
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/27/2012, 2:10 am

That seems like the kind of thing you should study yourself. Get some local scorpions and get them mated. Split the brood into as many groups as you want and try raising them with different temperatures and different feeding intervals and see which ones produce the largest offspring. They should be from the same brood to take different genetics out of the mix.

Since you seem so curious about it I volunteer you to head up our study. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
robert44
Tityus

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty11/27/2012, 10:57 am

That's not a bad idea. My C. vit just had babies. Currently they have dismounted from mom's back and are loose in a large Critter Keeper with several stacks of cork bark in the cage. They are so small that they hide in the cracks of the cork bark. It will probably be a while until they get large enough that they can't hide in the numerous cracks.

My main interest in all of this is just to get a rough clue about maturity of a newly acquired scorp. For example if you get a certain scorp that you estimate to be 2.5 cm in length and most data show a mature specimen to be 5 to 6 cm, one might infer that it is a younger instar and still molting. Does this sound correct?

I'm fairly new to this hobby and really love the various desert scorps. I'm concerned about getting the (seemingly) delicate ballance of enclosure moisture/hydration correct. If one has too little moisture the smaller instars have molting problems and if one has too much moisture they get mycosis. Also, I gather that an adult desert scorp requires less enclosure moisture than younger instars.

I recently lost a Buthacus leptochelys (Egyptian Green). I did a post mortem exam on him with a magnifying glass and did not see any sign of mycosis. I think he was a younger instar and I believe I kept him TOO dry and he died either from dehydration and/or he could not molt. Everything I read about this species mentioned how prone they are to mycosis and I believe I overshot.

So to make a long story short, when I get a new scorp (especially a desert species) I think I need to make an estimate as to its maturity and adjust the enclosure moisture accordingly. Does this sound correct? Thanks for your input!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scorpion Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Length   Scorpion Length Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion Length
Page 1 of 1