The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Help lost power no heat for scorps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty
PostSubject: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 2:35 pm

pale I have lost power due to hurricane Sandy, as a result i have no heat source for my scorpions. my snakes are at my boyfriends house but the scorps are not allowed there, its cold in my house, I have the hand warmers but they only last 6-8 hours, how should i put them in their cage? they have been without heat since monday. they are emperor scorpions. its in the upper 40's lower 50's in the house what should i do? where should i place the heat pads? inside? outside? not sure how hot they actually get one package says 150 degrees, the other doesnt say
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Scorpion975
Pandinus
Scorpion975

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 3:35 pm

If you can move them either in their enclosure or to a smaller one temporarily you can wrap a towel around the tank and use the heat packs. I would think they would be too hot for inside the enclosure as touching would burn. They may not like being in a temporary enclosure but at least they will survive.

I am sorry I cannot offer more help.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 3:53 pm

i have a small critter keeper i can move them too. one of them is pregnant, do you think she will lose her babies due to the cold? i will surround their 'house' with towels and put the pads on the outside. i hope it works! thanks for the input
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 4:18 pm

Get your big cooler you use for camping and days at the beach. Put all your scorps into smaller containers so they all fit stacked up in there. Use deli cups even. You're not trying to provide natural or fun enclosures just keep them warm.

Put a hand warmer in maybe two at the bottom corners not touching the deli cups or critter keepers and close the lid. Check in an hour to see how warm it gets. Add heat pads if it's cold remove some if it's hot. use any thermometer you have available and toss it in the cooler too so you can check. Meat thermometer, the one your mom uses when your sick, a pet store one, the face of the thermostat off the wall since there's no power anyways (only if it's the removable type. Don't blame me if you tear it off the wall and break it if it wasn't)

Good luck. Keep the lid closed as much as possible to retain heat.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 4:24 pm

Yames wrote:
s (only if it's the removable type. Don't blame me if you tear it off the wall and break it if it wasn't)
thats funny i dont have one of those anyway

i have a regular mercury thermometer and a temp gun so i will use both. thanx now to find deli cups!, if i close the cooler wont they run out of air? actually there is a small hole at the back for draining so ill keep that open thank you
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 4:26 pm

That shouldn't affect the heat as those plugs are at the bottom and hot air rises. it should give you more then enough ventilation for your guys if you open the lid every day or two. And I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada so send one of your slings my way when they arrive.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 5:09 pm

Ok I'll let you know when they arrive :-) I put them in the cooler with heat pads but they are hardly moving the male is moving more then the two females I'm worried
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 5:13 pm

I couldn't find deli cups so I put newspaper down and a hide box along with a head pad under the newspaper a rubber glove filled with hot/warm water which is inside a zip lock bag so they can't pop the glove and another hand warmer on the side.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 6:01 pm

If they got cooled down lots then they are just being sluggish and slow. It happens when they are cold. Don't worry. You are being the worlds best mommy. keep them in the 70's or hopefully 80's till you get power back.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 6:29 pm

thank you! last i check they were mid 70's do you think i will lose the babies?
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty10/31/2012, 6:31 pm

No I would doubt it. How far along is she? They face temp and humidity changes in nature that are far more violent then the slow loss of heat they suffered with you. Being captive is still like club med to these guys.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty11/2/2012, 3:48 pm

I have got power back and the cooler idea with the heat packs worked very well! they are all safe now back in their house seems to be happy thank you all for your advice!
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty11/2/2012, 5:53 pm

Any time. That's why we're here. To learn and help others in the hobby. I think I'm going to Rochester next weekend any chance you're ole girl will pop by then? I'm kidding actually I don't need any more 1st or 2nd Instar to fret over for right now.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty11/2/2012, 6:00 pm

haha no i dont think she will give birth soon, but i could be wrong. if she does your more then welcome to take a few Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help lost power no heat for scorps   Help lost power no heat for scorps Empty

Back to top Go down

Help lost power no heat for scorps
Page 1 of 1