The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

driftwood hide mold

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
xian1
Pandinus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-07-03

driftwood hide mold Empty
PostSubject: driftwood hide mold   driftwood hide mold Empty7/6/2012, 4:45 am

The piece of driftwood I found at my local river that I use as a hide/decor is a tiny bit moldy in a few places. My question is is there any possible way I can salvage this piece? I like the way it pulls the tank together and my emp seems to love it (although he would probably like just about anything that provides a shelter) it's really more for me hah, If not I'm fine with scrapping it if it means total health and happiness for the little fella.

Xian
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: driftwood hide mold   driftwood hide mold Empty7/6/2012, 4:49 am

As long as it´s not rotten or with termites and stuff, it should be fine.
Just wash it good to take out all the mold and bake it in the oven. I even boil some of my stuff before baking, just to make sure all bugs/bacteria are gone.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: driftwood hide mold   driftwood hide mold Empty7/6/2012, 6:12 am

stick it in microwave for 5 min if it can fit, otherwise put it the oven on 300 degrees for about 2 hours to get rid of any mold or fungus that may be on it naturally. I have found that some natural wood and some store bought drift wood still will mold after these treatments

EDIT:
the only wood product i know of that wont mildew or produce fungus readily is cork bark, I usually do not have to treat it at all before using
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
vic5466
Pandinus
vic5466

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-05-30

PostSubject: Re: driftwood hide mold   driftwood hide mold Empty7/7/2012, 3:24 am

I just found I had the same problem with store bought hides (those half log hides that are common everywhere). I found tiny bits of mold where it absorbs the moisture from the substrate. Took them out and replaced with plastic cups cut in half.
So just putting them in the microwave would help I got them from the wild? What if I put a sealant or something on them, would that help with the mold?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: driftwood hide mold   driftwood hide mold Empty

Back to top Go down

driftwood hide mold
Page 1 of 1