The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

large breeds

Go down 
+4
Scorpeace
**GS**
Callum B
apollyon
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
apollyon
Pandinus

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-03-06

large breeds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/11/2012, 1:45 pm

okay, you all make valid arguments so i'm not going to push the food subject any further and i don't want to offend anyone. the point is that i'm really impressed by the larger breeds and i would like to find other large breeds that are just as facinating. the ones that you all suggested sound great, but where can i get them?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/11/2012, 1:57 pm

Seek and ye shall find lol....................

Where in the world are you? As far as I know many Heterometrus spp. are hard to come by in the States but are much easier to find here in Europe. Pandinus spp. other than imperator or cavimanus are difficult to find anywhere. Hadogenes spp. are pretty common in most places judging by what I've seen people keeping on forums.
Back to top Go down
Scorpeace
Babycurus
Scorpeace

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/11/2012, 2:02 pm

If you are going to continue feeding it live mice and anoles I will choose not to help you find any more big scorpions.
Back to top Go down
apollyon
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/12/2012, 3:04 am

i'm in NY. the guy i got her from had gotten 4 in a shipment from his supplier. they were sold to him as emperors and he had them for 2 years and couldn't sell them. i was the first person to walk into his store looking for scorpions. when i saw that the tip of their tail was red and they had a kind of green luster i knew they weren't emps, so i bought the biggest one he had and took it home to find out what it was. lucky me, she turned out to be an h spinifer. so it was kind of a gamble, but $20 for a huge scorp seemed like a good deal regardless of what she was. he assumed that i was new to scorpions, and he tried to tell me what to feed her. when he mentioned pinkies and lizards, i kinda cringed myself and said " but isn't that really bad for them. i hear it can cause complications during moulting?" he said that's what he usually feeds them and they've been doing fine for the 2 years he had them in the store. and that they've been moulting just fine the whole time. so i'm sorry if i wound anyone up, but i just figured i'd keep her on the diet she was used too. my other 3 scorps do fine with crickets and other feeder worms. so she's the only one i've been feeding gormet meals too. if i can get some hornedworms or large roaches up here, then i'll stop buying verts as feeders. they're too expensive anyway. the largest feeder insects you can find here are super worms and they just burrow into the substrate only to re-emurge as those useless little beetles. so i am looking for an alternative for her, but no luck yet. if anyone can help me get something like that, i would really appreciate it. by the way, the other 3 spinifers are still available if anyone want's one and is close to NY.
Back to top Go down
Scorpeace
Babycurus
Scorpeace

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/12/2012, 4:53 am

You can crush the mealworms heads before feeding them. Also you could start breeding your own blaptica dubia. Its very inexpensive and easy Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/12/2012, 12:42 pm

apollyon wrote:
if i can get some hornedworms or large roaches up here, then i'll stop buying verts as feeders. they're too expensive anyway. the largest feeder insects you can find here are super worms and they just burrow into the substrate only to re-emurge as those useless little beetles. so i am looking for an alternative for her, but no luck yet. if anyone can help me get something like that, i would really appreciate it.
You can buy roaches here and here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
apollyon
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: large breeds   large breeds - Page 2 Empty5/13/2012, 2:47 am

thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content