The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Some new arrivals

Go down 
+36
ahxean
dakuan
rusheed_87
AlbaSETI
Patcho
Bayss
Mako
shaneshac
vespers
Shakudo
Callum B
robert44
~Abyss~
Jay
Yames
Loith
Olvi
*~BEX~*
Bakke84
kfc223
daniel..
KLN1988
RTHalcyonDays
shebeen
toidy
Parabuthus21
DolbyR
Envyizm
cody1984
F1refly
Scorpeace
Den
**GS**
Scorpion19981000
tfleming
shadowfoot
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/11/2012, 7:44 pm

Pic as promised.

There are five babies in total. It looked like they were stiil getting on moms back and they were still there the next day when I had a peek through the gaps in between the rocks.

Some new arrivals - Page 5 DSCF5423
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/11/2012, 7:45 pm

That's awesome. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/12/2012, 5:40 pm

Kool, congrats!!!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/12/2012, 6:56 pm

Thanks guys. Hopefully the slings are still alive, will have a look in a weeks time and post some updated pics.
Back to top Go down
Parabuthus21
Hadogenes
Parabuthus21

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/13/2012, 6:02 am

Very nice! Good luck raising them Smile
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/13/2012, 6:38 am

Thanks man.
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/14/2012, 12:42 am

Parabuthus21 wrote:
Very nice! Good luck raising them Smile

+1

Just remember to water them much more often than adults. As long as the substrate isn't littered with prey item parts, the possibility of a fatal fungal infection is next to none. Also, molts, as they remove the exocuticle, also remove mycosis as well. I've experimented with this phenomenon by purchasing several wc sub adult scorpions to see if their final molt rids them of mycosis. I've seen this work in even relatively extreme cases. As long as you're not afraid to water until they hit 4-5I, you shouldn't have much trouble rearing them. I've noticed in my experiences several species needing much more water at early instar than one would believe, ex. Hottentotta hottentotta, Leiurus quinquestriatus quinquestriatus, Androctonus bicolor and Parabuthus liosoma to name a few. This problem with hydration seems to lessen as their cuticle becomes thicker with age. I'm pretty sure that early instar's bodily evaporative rate is much higher than that of the adults or even sub adults.

On another, less informative note: Congrats on the babies, it's good to see someone working with this genus! Best of luck! Also, I'm super jealous of your luck with saulcyi, congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/14/2012, 6:32 am

Thanks for all the info Envyizm. At the moment I keep a bottle cap filled permanently for her and the entrance to her scrape is kept a little moist by misting.
The H.saulcyi's are doing great, hopefully expecting some broods in the coming months from them and my P.granulatus, A.bicolors and A.mauritanicus. So I have quite a few pregnant mommies.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/15/2012, 1:31 pm

Congrats on your brood.

Envyizm, thanks for a great informative post!
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/15/2012, 2:53 pm

Envyizm wrote:
I've noticed in my experiences several species needing much more water at early instar than one would believe, ex. Hottentotta hottentotta, Leiurus quinquestriatus quinquestriatus, Androctonus bicolor and Parabuthus liosoma to name a few.

It sounds as though the Clayless & Hideless Setup For Burrowing Desert Scorplings HOWTO that GS just posted would be beneficial for these species.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/16/2012, 7:18 pm

A little update on the slings. 3 of them made it to 2nd instar, unfortunately 2 of them died while in the proces of moulting. First time it has happened in all the time that I have been keeping scorpions.
These are proving tricky as all the comments about breeding them has been suggesting but no matter Very Happy I still have 3 healthy ones.

Some new arrivals - Page 5 DSCF5425
Back to top Go down
RTHalcyonDays
Pandinus
RTHalcyonDays

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/16/2012, 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear about 2 of your slings dying on you. I'm new to having Scorpions myself, having just caught my first (a C. Vittatus). Your Mesobuthus eupeus is beautiful though. I would love to have one myself!

I don't think I could ever get used to having so many hot species like that. I found a video on youtube of a guy letting an LQ walk on his hand. I thought he was nuts!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/16/2012, 7:46 pm

Thanks man.
Yeah, never understood why people like to handle dangerous creatures like these. In the herp world handling venomous snakes are looked down upon and thats the way it should be like in the scorpion keeping hobby as well imo. Why put your life on the line for a stupid act?
Back to top Go down
RTHalcyonDays
Pandinus
RTHalcyonDays

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/16/2012, 8:08 pm

What made it even more insane was that the gentleman has a heart condition! While he was probably relatively safe letting it walk on him (as they don't tend to sting the 'ground') I still wouldn't even attempt to do such a thing. I'm not even planning on handling my little C. Vittatus.

They're great to admirer though and fun to watch. Hope to see more pics of your beauties.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/16/2012, 8:15 pm

Idiotic.
Cheers man, more pics will definately be posted.
Back to top Go down
Parabuthus21
Hadogenes
Parabuthus21

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/18/2012, 7:16 am

Wow! I'm glad they made it to 2i, but it's sad to hear about the other two Sad
It's crazy for anyone to hold a Lq, I'm even scared feeding my P. transvaalicus. lol
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/18/2012, 7:22 am

Thanks man.
All my Parabuthus spp are pretty chilled, its my Androctonus and Hottentotta that have a bit of a temper on them. Needless to say that my hands dont go near the substrate and forget about handling them.
Back to top Go down
RTHalcyonDays
Pandinus
RTHalcyonDays

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/18/2012, 9:29 pm

Agreed, handling them is not something high on my list of things to do haha. I would post the video for you guys of the idiot holding the LQ, but I can't for a few days due to being a new member. If you want to see the vid I can send it to you maybe in a PM?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/19/2012, 3:29 am

Nah, its cool. I have seen countless youtube vids with people handling dangerous scorps.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 2:33 pm

My new Hottentotta saulcyi setup:

Some new arrivals - Page 5 DSCF5482
Back to top Go down
RTHalcyonDays
Pandinus
RTHalcyonDays

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 2:38 pm

Wow, such a nice setup. Scorpion looks happy in his nice big home!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 2:44 pm

RTHalcyonDays wrote:
Wow, such a nice setup. Scorpion looks happy in his nice big home!

Thanks man, forgot to add, its a communal setup of 1.2.

Back to top Go down
KLN1988
Centruroides
KLN1988

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 3:11 pm

Its always pleasure to visit this post. Super pics!
And im still jealous over your beautiful Orthochirus.. They might be my fav. scorp.
Back to top Go down
Parabuthus21
Hadogenes
Parabuthus21

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 3:28 pm

Beutiful!!!! Drool
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty8/21/2012, 3:46 pm

Thanks guys!

KLN1988 wrote:
Its always pleasure to visit this post. Super pics!
And im still jealous over your beautiful Orthochirus.. They might be my fav. scorp.

Haha, yip, awesome little scorps. The 2i had their first meal yesterday and all of them ate which is great cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Some new arrivals
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next