The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Some new arrivals

Go down 
+36
ahxean
dakuan
rusheed_87
AlbaSETI
Patcho
Bayss
Mako
shaneshac
vespers
Shakudo
Callum B
robert44
~Abyss~
Jay
Yames
Loith
Olvi
*~BEX~*
Bakke84
kfc223
daniel..
KLN1988
RTHalcyonDays
shebeen
toidy
Parabuthus21
DolbyR
Envyizm
cody1984
F1refly
Scorpeace
Den
**GS**
Scorpion19981000
tfleming
shadowfoot
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/1/2012, 9:13 pm

+1 to Scorpeace.
The funny thing is, when I bought him, he was in a tank with a MASSIVE female. (I'm guessing 18-20 cm) Unfortunately, she was not for sale because she was gravid, and the pet-shop owners were going to sell the scorplings. (It's the only pet-shop I've ever seen that cares for inverts correctly.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/2/2012, 4:13 am

Damn, thats one big Granulatus. Bigger than some of the Emps I've seen. I see you finally got the A. mauretanicus Smile Very cool looking. Quick question, what is consolidated sand?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/2/2012, 4:39 am

Thanks Firefly.
Its hard packed sand that wont loose its form when the scorp starts digging.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 1:05 pm

UPDATE:

Received some new scorpions, 0.0.5 Hottentotta saulcyi, 0.0.5 Mesobuthus eupeus and 0.0.5 Orthochirus spp.

H.saulcyi :

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Lq3

This one I would have to guess was really hungry after the trip:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Lq4

Mesobuthus eupeus, the guy said they are M. eupeus, but I know nothing about these guys. Can anyone confirm that they are indeed M. eupeus?

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Me

Then the Orthochirus spp, no idea what spp they are, so I need another ID on these guys:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Orthospp

What are those white things on this ones body?

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Orthospp2

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by shadowfoot on 6/29/2012, 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 1:39 pm

as for the white spots, I think is feces. When Scorpions are communal they tend to crap on one another. I could be wrong. As for the Orthochirus, I think is the innesi, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks for the help tfleming. I was also going to guess O. innesi as they are the most widely available Orthochirus spp.
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 2:36 pm

Which of those is the species that only grows to about 2cm if any? Those Orthochirus are cool looking.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 2:40 pm

The Orthochirus does, but they are a bit bigger than 2cm. Still pretty small, will get a size reference later.
The Mesobuthus are pretty small as well.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 3:00 pm

Here is a size reference, the coin in the picture is about the same size as in between a American quarter and a American dollar.

Orthochirus:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Size1

Mesobuthus:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 Size2
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 3:20 pm

I love those Orthochirus they look very awesome excellent pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks Cody. I have to say, the Orthochirus are now my favourite scorp species. Until the babies arrive that is, they are going to be a bitch to raise!
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 4:17 pm

They look like they are close to the same size as adult C.vittatus or are they smaller?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 4:40 pm

I have no Centruroides in my collection and I know almost nothing about them, how big is C.vittatus?
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 4:50 pm

their body is about the size of an American quarter
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 4:52 pm

They are actually smaller Orthochirus innesi max 3cm. C. Vittatus will go between 6-8 cm.
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 5:00 pm

awesome little things wish i could get those or Orthochirus afghanus.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/23/2012, 5:18 pm

Thanks tfleming, didnt know that.
O.afghanus is on my wishlist, hope to get some in the future.
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/24/2012, 8:45 am

Are those Orthochirus scorplings or did you decide to go for Adults instead? If the adults are a little bigger than a R2 Coin, then the 2nd instar babies must be close to 5mm? Nice scorpions though, never thought such small scorps would have such thick tails Very Happy Please keep me in mind if you manage to breed them Wink
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/24/2012, 10:14 am

Hey man, they are adults. Will keep you in mind IF I have success breeding and rearing the slings.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/24/2012, 2:35 pm

I contacted the guy I bought the Orthochirus spp from and it turns out that the Orthochirus are afghanus! So happy! Now I need some innesi tongue
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/24/2012, 2:47 pm

whoa grats Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/28/2012, 10:10 pm

Everyone seems to forget about those beautiful Mesobuthus, those are the ones I like! As far as the Orthochirus go, I once spoke with a guy who raised several generations successfully and he claimed that a slight bump in humidity as well as ample room to burrow "undisturbed conditions" allowed him to have success in breeding this species. I imagine the babies typically stay burrowed while they are small, thus needing more moisture than one would think, which is why most of us have heard a lot of failure stories come from rearing this genus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty6/29/2012, 4:55 am

Envyizm wrote:
Everyone seems to forget about those beautiful Mesobuthus, those are the ones I like!

They are very nice indeed and some good additions to have in ones collection. I was going to keep all of them communally, but decided to seperate them into two groups. Hopefully they will be more happy in seperate groups and produce some slings.

Envyizm wrote:
As far as the Orthochirus go, I once spoke with a guy who raised several generations successfully and he claimed that a slight bump in humidity as well as ample room to burrow "undisturbed conditions" allowed him to have success in breeding this species. I imagine the babies typically stay burrowed while they are small, thus needing more moisture than one would think, which is why most of us have heard a lot of failure stories come from rearing this genus.

I got the same advice from another guy who successfully raised 2nd instar O.s.negebensis to adulthood, he said the key is to raise the humidity ever so slightly once in a while.
Regarding the burrowing, only the females have made burrows. The males seem to wonder around at night a lot and never retreat into a burrow at day time, they only hide underneath the pieces of stones.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty7/11/2012, 7:38 pm

Just a quick pic or two
All of the Orthochirus made an appearance when I was feeding them. The three big ones are the females and look to be gravid:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 DSCF4924

Mesobuthus eupeus female that also looks gravid to me, the other female looks a bit thinner:

Some new arrivals - Page 2 DSCF5041
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty7/11/2012, 9:22 pm

Nice pic's foot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some new arrivals   Some new arrivals - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Some new arrivals
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next