The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Cold Sand

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
doggmann
Pandinus
doggmann

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 6:54 am

Good day my fellow hobbyist. Can you give me tips how can i prevent my sand substrate from being cold. I tried to put stones and drift woods so my desert scorps could stay on it instead on the sand. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 7:36 am

How cold are we talking about?

What scorpion is it, and what are the temps?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
doggmann
Pandinus
doggmann

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 7:51 am

DolbyR wrote:
How cold are we talking about?

What scorpion is it, and what are the temps?

My pair of Lqq and my A. bicolor (premoult). i haven't check the temperature but when im touching the sand its cold. i will look for my thermometer right now. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 8:15 am

The sand will have the same relative temperature as your enclosure..If it feels cold to the touch then the simple answer is your enclosure is also cold...Put a heat pad on the side of the enclosure, use lights or increase the ambient temperature in the room.

I don't know how much experience you have with scorpions but i did notice that your 2 species are amongst those with the most toxic venom.

If something as elementary as maintaining correct temperature is hard for you then there's a nagging voice in the back of my mind that says you shouldn't have those scorpions..

Back to top Go down
doggmann
Pandinus
doggmann

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 8:26 am

Den wrote:

The sand will have the same relative temperature as your enclosure..If it feels cold to the touch then the simple answer is your enclosure is also cold...Put a heat pad on the side of the enclosure, use lights or increase the ambient temperature in the room.

I don't know how much experience you have with scorpions but i did notice that your 2 species are amongst those with the most toxic venom.

If something as elementary as maintaining correct temperature is hard for you then there's a nagging voice in the back of my mind that says you shouldn't have those scorpions..

The enclosure that i'm using for them are microwavable plastic containers. I haven't bought a heat pad yet. Its just kind of emergency right now because the 3 of them are moulting right now.

Thanks Den.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 10:01 am

Den wrote:

+1
You should seriously get heating for them. They need high temps to thrive, so if they are in the moulting process the wrong temps puts them through even more stress.
Just to add, when I got my first scorp it went through its moulting process and died and I later discovered that my temps were way off. Now Im not saying that the temps killed him, but why take chances?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/29/2012, 12:31 pm

doggmann wrote:
Good day my fellow hobbyist. Can you give me tips how can i prevent my sand substrate from being cold. I tried to put stones and drift woods so my desert scorps could stay on it instead on the sand. Thanks.

First of.. Welcome back to the forum.

I think this is a good place to respond to your similar question at my desert-scorpion-guide thread.
There's few things i'm puzzle with..

Aren't you in Philippines.. a tropical country ? scratch
The average temperature now should be around 75F(low) to 90F(high).

That temperature range you have is excellent in keeping most scorpion healthy in captivity... unless you have your air-condition on 24/7 at very low temp in your scorpion room? Like what DolbyR has suggested. Please provide stats on how cold you are talking about..

Deli-containers are definitely not recommended for such "HOT" (highly venomous) scorpions.
If you are still keeping them there, my recommendation is try to ensure that they are under "double cage" protection.. at least.

Cold Sand Housing_scorplings_by_GSscorpions82_pic3

Den's concern is not uncalled for.
I've seen your introductory post from 2008. And that's four years ago... have you stop this hobby for quite some time?
Back to top Go down
doggmann
Pandinus
doggmann

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty3/30/2012, 4:19 am

GS wrote:
doggmann wrote:

First of.. Welcome back to the forum.

I think this is a good place to respond to your similar question at my desert-scorpion-guide thread.
There's few things i'm puzzle with..

Aren't you in Philippines.. a tropical country ? scratch
The average temperature now should be around 75F(low) to 90F(high).

That temperature range you have is excellent in keeping most scorpion healthy in captivity... unless you have your air-condition on 24/7 at very low temp in your scorpion room? Like what DolbyR has suggested. Please provide stats on how cold you are talking about..

Deli-containers are definitely not recommended for such "HOT" (highly venomous) scorpions.
If you are still keeping them there, my recommendation is try to ensure that they are under "double cage" protection.. at least.

Cold Sand Housing_scorplings_by_GSscorpions82_pic3

Den's concern is not uncalled for.
I've seen your introductory post from 2008. And that's four years ago... have you stop this hobby for quite some time?

Good day GS. It's good to be back in the forum and in the hobby. Thanks. Very Happy I just got back from the hobby 1 week ago and now i'm addicted again for scorpions. Very Happy I stopped last december 2010 because i got focused on breeding african lovebirds. I got my problem solved last night. I found out that the new cabinet where i place my scorpions has a gap on the back of it where the cold air enters from my AC, so i stick it with a wood glue. Yes, my HOT scorps are double caged. My A. bicolor had sucessful moult last night, i'm just waiting for my 2 Lqq to moult also. Your caresheet in multiply is really very helpful. The macroshots on your gallery is fantastic specially your AA (hector). More power to your work. Thanks again.

scorpion

Regards,
L.A.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cold Sand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Sand   Cold Sand Empty

Back to top Go down

Cold Sand
Page 1 of 1