The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Tellin' your Scorps apart?

Go down 
+3
DolbyR
lmiller
tfleming
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty
PostSubject: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/6/2012, 1:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever used paints to tell your scorpions apart. I was thinking about using the same paint that bee keepers use to mark their queens. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/6/2012, 5:19 pm

Thats a really good idea. Its not toxic to the bees so I bet it would work.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/7/2012, 5:37 am

I've never seen a need for it. After a while you learn to tell them apart, no scorpion is 100% identical to the other.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/8/2012, 11:41 am

Quote :
I've never seen a need for it. After a while you learn to tell them apart, no scorpion is 100% identical to the other.

And i'm with Dolby on this one.....Plus wouldn't it be an unnecessary stress?..also you'd have to redo it every time they moulted..and if they're adult that you've had since instar then as Dolby says..you're going to know them already.
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/8/2012, 12:34 pm

Well, there's no stress. You're only placing a dot on the animal. You would have to redo them if they weren't adults. As for myself when you have parthenogenic animals and they are identical I can't tell them apart. It was just an idea and I was wondering if anyone had ever done it.
Back to top Go down
boverton
Pandinus
boverton

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: marking sexed individuales   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/20/2012, 12:10 am

im keeping 2 emperor scorpions in a 10 gallon tank set up and i know they are a posable male female pair is it safe to mark the male or female with something like whiteout on there stinger or tail segment to make easy removal and tranfers when the babies are born and if a fight breaks out and one is killed or (any ways you see what im getting at ) id like to mark sex on them in a manor that probably will just shed off during next molt ?
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/20/2012, 4:54 am

Quote :
mark the male or female with something like whiteout on there stinger or tail segment to make easy removal and tranfers when the babies are born

The one with the babies on her back will be the mother....That'll be quite a big marker..

Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/20/2012, 7:42 am

boverton wrote:
im keeping 2 emperor scorpions in a 10 gallon tank set up and i know they are a posable male female pair is it safe to mark the male or female with something like whiteout on there stinger or tail segment to make easy removal and tranfers when the babies are born and if a fight breaks out and one is killed or (any ways you see what im getting at ) id like to mark sex on them in a manor that probably will just shed off during next molt ?

Just be aware mate, If not kept in a tank with several (4+) inches of cocofiber or some better burrowing material even if the female does become gravid she will probably be too stressed and eat all her babies Neutral .

step 1. Set up proper tropical enclosure ...4+ inches burrowing substrate ... high humidity ...high temp ,red light or heating pad both work, large shallow water dish, several hides.

step 2. Properly sex both scorpions to find out if you in fact do have a pair or if they are even mature to breed.

step 3. Read up on caring for baby scorpions and have fun watching the big ones Very Happy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/20/2012, 9:50 am

boverton wrote:

DolbyR wrote:
Best reply voted.

Even if you have a colony of Emps (Pandinus imperator) living in the same tank, there is no need for you to know the sex or identify them individually before you can make a decision to separate them from a fight.

In the event of a brood, Den basically sums it up.

For death, it's easier, just flip it over and have it sexed.

Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty2/20/2012, 9:58 am

I have to agree with Lubedor24. Research is the best thing you can do before getting starting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tellin' your Scorps apart?   Tellin' your Scorps apart? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tellin' your Scorps apart?
Page 1 of 1