The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

smallest adult desert scorp?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ricosuave77
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-01-25

smallest adult desert scorp? Empty
PostSubject: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/25/2012, 11:20 pm

I have looked for like size charts on multiple species but it becomes a bit much for a newb to hobby. I am curious about finding the smallest adult desert species that is available easily in US. Guess specifically I am looking for small, communal, and food agressive (everyone secretly wants to see something get stung).
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/26/2012, 12:50 am

I'd suggest Centruroides sculpturatus to you sir. They are about 2" mouth to sting, and very communal as adults. They are food aggressive when they are hungry and will sting their prey. They can be a bit shy if they aren't hungry though. Also, they arid adapted bark scorpions. They require slightly more humidity that a strictly arid desert scorpion, but since they climb you will have much more space to utilize in your enclosure. Check them out, and hit us up if you've got any questions.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention that this scorpion is the most venomous scorpion native to the United States. It is a potent species, but poses no significant threat to a healthy adult. No deaths have been attributed to this species since 1968.

-Nate
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/26/2012, 2:33 am

+1 on Centuriodes sculpturatus, i have three of them communaly and they seem to be doing great Smile also this species seems to spend rather alot time out of hiding, wandering around.

If you want something really food aggresive, Hottentotta judacius is the way to go, i have four and they get pretty psyco at feedings, don't know if anyone breeds them in usa tho.
Back to top Go down
tlb_05
Babycurus
tlb_05

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/26/2012, 11:57 pm

For begginers I would also recommend C. sculpturatus now C. Exilicauda.

As you go and have enough experience ( I'd say 1 yr~2 yrs)

I suggest that go and get Androctonus Baluchicus, they are a close relatives of A. Australis but a lot smaller.

My A baluchicus at 5 instar is like a 3 instar of a ptrans Smile
Back to top Go down
tseros7768
Pandinus

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/27/2012, 7:23 pm

I would say Centruroides sculpturatus (arizona bark scorpion). Although they are the most venemous, just stay careful and aware and you will be fine. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
ricosuave77
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/28/2012, 9:14 pm

I think I might go with the ariz barks, Im going to do much more research first and come up with a magnet safety latch first for that just in case. With them is height better then floor space give plenty of upright bark anyways, 10 vs 15h?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty1/28/2012, 11:38 pm

They are highly adaptable. You could put them in a tall tank with vertical bark, or a long tank with stacked bark. They'll thrive either way. They like tight dark spaces and food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: smallest adult desert scorp?   smallest adult desert scorp? Empty

Back to top Go down

smallest adult desert scorp?
Page 1 of 1