The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Desert Hairy

Go down 
+6
Streettrash
Sauerkraut
PopcornParty
Will3
Callum B
lmiller
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 9:45 am

OK so im going to be getting a desert hairy today, I had been thinking about it for awhile, but a friend of a friend has one that he wants to get rid of. And seeing as how its gonna happen fast, will it be ok in a 9x9x12 inch enclosure with only sand and a hide in it until I can get the sand/clay mixture down in humidity?

Im assuming that it will take atleast a week for it to be dry enough to introduce the scorp to its new home. So it would only be in the sand for a week or 10 days. If I would have had 2 weeks notice I would have it dried already, but that isnt an option. I know that they are a burrowing species, and after I told him that ive read that they do like to burrow, thats when he decided it would be too much to change the substrate to suit the needs of the scorpie.

Id really like to get him introduced as soon as possible, so I may resort to a trick that I saw someone had used, Bex I think, which is to use a hair dryer. I should mention that I will be getting some clay from the pet store and doing all the mixing and start the drying today.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 10:01 am

A week or two in temporary housing shouldn't do it any harm.

I've found the fastest way to dry clay/sand mix is to hang a heat lamp over it and put a heat mat under the tank. Depending on how deep the substrate is it shouldn't take more than a day to a few days to completely dry out.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 10:19 am

So if I do 4 to 6 inches.... should work no? And I need to dig out the heating pad, lol.
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 10:41 am

Do NOT put a heatingpad underneath, the glass could crack as the substrate acts as insulation.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 11:08 am

You want it as deep as possible so I'd go for 6''. I leave the bulb on all day and night and from memory it shouldn't take more than about 3 or 4 days to dry out a 6'' deep substrate. Not sure how safe it was leaving the bulb on permanently though lol. The fittings get very hot. The heat pad helps dry out the bottom but it's the bulb that really speeds up the drying. Edit: yer make sure there is a gap between the bottom of the tank and the heat mat otherwise you run the risk of cracking the glass.

Another thing I do, that I think Jamie originally mentioned, is rather than dump a load of water into the mix and then place it in the enclosure, lay down a layer of dry mix about 2cm deep. Then mist it until it is damp enough to all stick together. Repeat until you have got the desired substrate depth. It means you use less water and so the substrate dries quicker. It really does make a big difference. That lads got brains lol.
Back to top Go down
PopcornParty
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-10

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 11:09 am

I have had my Hadrurus Pallidus for 5 and a bit years now, she is kept in a 2ft x 1.5ft tank loads of room she likes it and explores every inch, I heat mine with a lamp on a thermostat she has shed twice since I have had her from medium to adult.
Back to top Go down
Sauerkraut
Hadogenes
Sauerkraut

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 1:37 pm

I personally like mixing the water and clay/sand in the tank. Have a 6" depth on one side, and 4 on the other. Dried out in 2 days with a cage temp of 95f.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 3:22 pm

Well, I just got back home, The dude had changed his mind. I mean seriously? Oh well, I went to the pet store and got turtle food and picked this up...
Desert Hairy New_gu10
The telson is an orangish color, adult I assume? I couldnt get a real good pic so I dont know if the sex can be told but here it is, i was trying to hold the container up in the air and snap the pic, wasnt gonna end pretty either way.
Desert Hairy Pectin10
Im seriously bummed about the desert hairy scenario but itll happen, I had my name put on the list to get the one they have when it comes out of quaranteen. (sp)? So now I have plenty of time to get a nice low humidity level going.
And I have the other 2 juvinile emps, will that be a problem in their tank? 10 gallon 5-6 inches of substrate and 4 hides. Their telsons are a milky white, both females from the same litter.

Last edited by lmiller on 1/13/2012, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : thought of something I believe to be important)
Back to top Go down
Sauerkraut
Hadogenes
Sauerkraut

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 3:33 pm

If you dont get the one from the store, I'm moving in a month(or two, whenever we buy our house) and am on the fence about taking my scorpions with me. If I don't take them, you'd be welcome to my adult female for the cost of shipping
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 3:36 pm

Heck yea man, more than willing.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 10:06 pm

Sexing emperors is easiest by looking at the genital opperculum. It's the roundish thing that the pectines surround. If it's oval, male. If it has a point in the bottom, female. Here is a link. Scroll down a tiny bit and there are very clear pictures for you.

Congrats on the new addition!
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/13/2012, 11:50 pm

Beautiful emp!
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/14/2012, 12:22 pm

Streettrash wrote:
Sexing emperors is easiest by looking at the genital opperculum. It's the roundish thing that the pectines surround. If it's oval, male. If it has a point in the bottom, female. Here is a link. Scroll down a tiny bit and there are very clear pictures for you.

Congrats on the new addition!

Yeah, they told me that it was a male, without a doubt, just wanted to make sure myself though. Defiantly a male.

And Thank You tfleming, I know it sounds weird but there were 7 total emps in the enclosure but that one stood out from the rest. He wasnt the biggest by any means but something about him caught my attention and wouldnt let me choose any other one. After him got home I put him in the tank with my 2 females (both sub adults) and I got to witness the "juddering and swaying" lol. Was hilarious. That dudes got some moves. Took less than an hour before he ate a cricket that I had head crushed, and within 3 hours of having him here, he took a superworm from the tongs and chewed on that for a good hour.
There was no worry of that worm escaping and burrowing in the substrate like the last time. Here is another question, Both of my females are from the same litter, if one starts to molt, will the other one start too or could it be say a month before the other starts?
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/14/2012, 1:17 pm

Maybe, maybe not. I've had scorps from the same brood molt weeks apart, some days. I actually got some AA's from a friend back in September and they are now at 5i. I few weeks later I get some more from him, the same brood and they are still at 3i. Go figure!!! Temp right humidity right they could go together or not! Lot a help that is!!!
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/14/2012, 3:23 pm

Well the reason im asking is, im in the process of getting a 60 gallon tank, and im going to rehouse them into that when its done. Its gonna be bomb, im gonna be a similar enclosure to this one https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5104-pandinus-imperator-communal-enclosure-with-a-pool The pool is going to be done differently though, its a see through plastic container. That way I can control any algea that may or may not happen to grow in it. By taking it out and washing it.
Anyhow, I havent seen the one female in about 5 days, other than through the back of the tank in her burrow. If there is anyway she may be starting to premolt or something, I dont want to disturb her. So I figured if I see the other female every day then there was hope that shes just bein cool in the burrow. But this last move will and should be the last time they every get moved. And it will be a good week before that happens. Plus I probably need 6 more bricks of coco fiber. Should I mix that with sand? Or better yet do I need to?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/14/2012, 5:05 pm

That's a very nice looking viv you're trying to emulate. I'm not sure how often you'll need to clean the plastic container, but at least you'll have the option to remove it. You might even want to use a a container in a container to make removal easier.

Straight coco fiber holds burrows well if you pack it tightly. You can add sand if you wish, but it's not necessary. Sand will also make your tank a little heavier.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/16/2012, 12:44 pm

Callum B wrote:

Another thing I do, that I think Jamie originally mentioned, is rather than dump a load of water into the mix and then place it in the enclosure, lay down a layer of dry mix about 2cm deep. Then mist it until it is damp enough to all stick together. Repeat until you have got the desired substrate depth. It means you use less water and so the substrate dries quicker. It really does make a big difference. That lads got brains lol.

As much as I want to, I can't take credit for that idea. Pretty sure it was Bex who said they use that method. I'm more the one to crack my tank because I'm resting a heat bulb ON the substrate because I used too much water and getting impatient! What was I thinking that day Razz
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/16/2012, 2:56 pm

OK sorry Bex lol. That lass has got brains Smile

And Jamie, use some common sense Razz haha.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/16/2012, 6:56 pm

So, I cant win for losing. I had the line on a 60 gallon long, went to get it and she didnt want to get rid of it. I did get a 20 gallon tall though. I just wont be able to have a large communial tank like I wanted. Ive already started it, just waiting on the rocks and what ever type of plant SHE wants in MY tank lol. Its as good of a false bottom as I can make it, but at least it will have one. Ill post pics of the steps I took in case someone wants to see it.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/16/2012, 9:46 pm

Put 'em up!
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/17/2012, 1:48 am

Ok, I wish I knew how to put the pics in a spoiler, but here we go. This is the first time ive ever tried to do this, and I think it would be better if it was in a long tank instead of a high tank
Spoiler:
If someone knows how to put these in a spoiler I would appreciate some instruction. And thanks for looking.

Last edited by lmiller on 1/17/2012, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/17/2012, 2:58 pm

Just click on the "others" button next to the smilie's.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/17/2012, 3:44 pm

Streettrash wrote:
Just click on the "others" button next to the smilie's.

Hey thanks, I dont feel like im stealing bandwidth now lol.
Back to top Go down
tseros7768
Pandinus

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/21/2012, 11:25 pm

yes he should b fine in there for 2 weeks. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty1/22/2012, 12:21 am

I finally got one..... after a week of waiting I picked this up today,
Desert Hairy Desert10
not the best shots but still a pic. And he has a scar on his tail,
Desert Hairy Scar10
Im assuming its male, thats what they said anyway and theyve been batting a thousand on sexing. When I got him they had a water dish in the tank.... am I correct in the thinking that they get all the water from the food they eat? Would prefer NOT to give it mycosis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert Hairy   Desert Hairy Empty

Back to top Go down

Desert Hairy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next