The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!

Go down 
+3
Bedlam
*~BEX~*
RX8 TuRbo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty
PostSubject: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 9:56 am

Hello all.

About 2 days ago I went to go take a visit to PETCO. and get some food for the dogs. While I was looking around I went to my favorite spot of the pet store, which is the reptiles and exotic pet section. Smile

I was looking in the tank with around 6 scorpions (emperor only) in it and took a good hard look at one of the scorpion. I was observing carefully and noticed it was missing its WHOLE TAIL! So I asked for a manager to let them know about the problem of a missing tail. She was a bit disgusted at the sight of the scorpions calling it ugly and nasty in a pretty disgruntled tone of voice, which I was looking at her face thinking the same, but I wasn't being rude about it lol. Smile

She then asked me if I wanted to adopt it and take care for it since I happened to mention its well-being. So, of course I did take it, since knowing the fact that all these BIG NAME PET COMPANIES will just let it die out or throw it away somewhere. Just knowing that wasn't to appealing to me.

But any-hows, the real question I am trying to get to the bottom of is; Will the scorpion actually survive without its tail?

I was thinking about it and realized yeahhh.....it loses one of its defense mechanism..it still has its hard shell and strong pedipalps, but then also thought up; HOW IS IT GOING TO POOP ?!? :S

Other then the tail missing, the scorpion looks very healthy and clean. I already introduced it to my other adult emps and are much active and already cuddled in together in their hide.

So let me know what you think about the tail? Will it live to its age or will it die soon? I haven't heard anyone who took care for a scorpion with out the tail. sooo yeaaaa.....

Also, should I put him in its very own terrarium? Or just leave it with the others? Assuming by the size of this guy, its an adult.

thanks in advance. cheers

::EDIT::
Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! 95x2ll

Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Dgl5if

Last edited by RX8 TuRbo on 1/6/2012, 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 10:30 am

omg ive actually never heard of a scorpion without its tail so far, so have no idea hoe this will efact it but like you said how will or does it poop...do you have any pictures?
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 10:41 am

Ill have pictures up when he/she gets out of the hide, its been in there with my other emps. for about 2 days! LOL
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 10:42 am

does it seem well other than the whole missing tail thing? is it eating and moving around as normal?
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 10:54 am

*~BEX~* wrote:
does it seem well other than the whole missing tail thing? is it eating and moving around as normal?

oh yeaaaa, most definitely 'looks' healthy and active, but the whole eating part...I haven't seen it eat yet. Its been almost 3 days since I've adopted it. and it did have crickets in the tank at the pet store, but MEH- Neutral

Im going to the pet store in about 20 mins and buy some crickets and start the feeding. maybe it will come out of the hide. hopefully.
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 9:19 pm

So far the little bastard is eating like a champ! It put down 2 crickets..and is definitley not holding back even without its tail.

I will be observing this fella very carefully and take care for it very well, as always. I just dont want to many variables if it does pass-on.

pics will be up, and more suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/5/2012, 9:48 pm

I cant say I ever seen a Scorpion missing a tail and at 1st I'd have told you he probably doesn't have a chance to survive but we shall see. Pictures por favor.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 2:10 am

I've had scorpions surviving well with either 1 chela missing, 3 missing legs, broken telson etc
But never with the a whole tail missing.. am not sure how long your champ can survive..

If it has been eating.. poop will be generate and ready to be "released" in time..

Now the concern is "like how" ?

Do monitor her as much as possible and post up some pics when you can Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 3:53 am

It could be a good idea to feed it as less as possible, not to cause an intestinal blockage atleast until you don't see that it actually can poop.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Kale
Hadogenes
Kale

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 4:05 am

It's only a wonder how that poor emp lost his tail... I am not a fan of pet stores. That reminds of an dmpdpgamad I had with a pet store at once.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 4:07 am

There was a case of a forum members H. longi that lost a tail like this in a bad mating attempt.
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:09 am

pics are up!

It ate its meal today, like a fat kid on cake. but other then that i will now closely observe him the next few days to see how it will defecate...but if it doesn't defecate within this week, then i think i will safely assume this is a big problem for him.

lets see how the progress goes! Neutral
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:10 am

RX8 TuRbo wrote:
pics are up!

Where are they? Smile
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:13 am

sorry its up now!
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:15 am

From the pics it seems there is still a bit of tail left. How many segments are there? I can't see from the angle of the pic.
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:19 am

DolbyR wrote:
From the pics it seems there is still a bit of tail left. How many segments are there? I can't see from the angle of the pic.

theres only one last segment left, and after that it will be just the abdomen.
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/6/2012, 5:23 am

Kale wrote:
It's only a wonder how that poor emp lost his tail... I am not a fan of pet stores. That reminds of an dmpdpgamad I had with a pet store at once.
I hear ya on that , man. im really not a big fan of big name pet stores myself, only great for the doggy food. and sometimes to take a gander whats up. silent but gratefully, a few workers there try their best to keep the enviornment of the pets as fresh as it can get, since their love for animals are just as big as any other pet lovers. so sheds a little hope in the shade. Smile
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/8/2012, 5:04 am

Updating my observations-

Tonight, he came out of its hide and was standing very erect with an awkward body position... I took a video of him in that standing position with his back end of his body awkwardly positioned.

Its been about 5 days of him not pooping once, and its really starting to not look great at all! Sad

He was so active before, until tonight he is acting very sluggish but is keeping his posture in ways.

sigh* feel so sorry for the fella, trying my best to keep him alive and kicking. but for now, close attention is needed.
Exclamation

Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/8/2012, 12:51 pm

hmm...It seems to be very short lived for a missing tail.

It died this morning and by looking at him, the membrane is black as if it has poisoned his internals.

edit:: So, I reached into the tank to take him out, & I noticed his body was solid stiff like a rock!

I grabbed it by the nub of the tail and noticed his pedipalps and arms didnt just dangle down like any other scorpions that died. It actually stayed nice and tight to its body and as well as its leg. I dont know, I found it to be interesting how this happened...hmm? Question

but anyways I learned a lesson that scorpions WILL NOT survive without its metasoma. So now, its time to bury him.. Im absolutely sure he had a great LAST week living with me then that damn forbidden PETCO.

Neutral

Thanks all.

Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/8/2012, 5:07 pm

Pet shops sometimes try to do the best they can, just most ppl that are hired are thrown into a department that they may not have any clue as to what the requirements are for the well being of their animals that they are trying to sell.

Last edited by lmiller on 1/9/2012, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Parts removed because everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt)
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/9/2012, 3:29 pm

lmiller wrote:
Pet shops sometimes try to do the best they can, just most ppl that are hired are thrown into a department that they may not have any clue as to what the requirements are for the well being of their animals that they are trying to sell.

Its corporate I'm leaning towards, not the stores. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/10/2012, 12:11 pm

aw poor thing at least its at peace now...suprised it ate to be honest i also wonder how it happened, however we have a spinifer that has missing legs that we got from an online dealer and im pretty sure they look as if they have been cut off like with scissors or something
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty1/10/2012, 2:45 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
aw poor thing at least its at peace now...suprised it ate to be honest i also wonder how it happened, however we have a spinifer that has missing legs that we got from an online dealer and im pretty sure they look as if they have been cut off like with scissors or something

The worker at the store said "it was because of a fight with another emperor", supposedly. but i dont know...

that would be pretty cruel if someone cut it off with scissors, who knows what people like to do with em'... ~ fingerwag

but yeah, atleast he had an epic meal before he went! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!   Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL! Empty

Back to top Go down

Emperor Scorpion WITHOUT A TAIL!
Page 1 of 1