The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Feeding help - not a feeder question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty
PostSubject: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/28/2011, 8:50 pm

Ok all.

I have this interesting situation.

Scorpinox and Bumblebee usually stay in the same hide, and it's a big one. I'm sure he stays in the very back most often. He's skittish so he doesn't come out much. Might be lucky to catch a glimpse of him once every couple weeks. She's always out warming and is usually the scorpion hanging out at the hide's entrance so feeding her is a breeze.

How the heck am I supposed to get Bumblebee some food if her big butt is always in the way? LOL

Any suggestions? Tried and true successes for a situation like this??

Thanks in advance all.

Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/28/2011, 9:12 pm

I had the same situation where I had a glutton who stayed in the front. There may be a better way to do this but I usually just throw about 6 in the hide/tunnel at the same time ..Since one can only really grab 3 at most and even thats a lot , she usually just gets 2. Anyway... I throw a bunch in and they hop over the glutton and onto the other scorpion. Then if there are extras the next day i just take them out
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/28/2011, 9:29 pm

lolz at the big butt

I have encountered this situation too.. i usually feed the outer one (near of the hide's opening) till both his/her chela and mouth are "occupied". Then the following cricket/roach that i put in can crawl into the hide and becomes lunch for the inner scorp. If that feeder is uneaten due to a lack of appetite from the inner scorp, most likely it will be chased out of the hide..

If let say the inner scorp might be "sleeping" or slow in response to a "walk-in prey", i'll hold on the the feeder with a tweezers and swing left and right at the hide's entrance.. just don't get a shock at the sudden tension when a pair of massive chela "attacks your tweezers" Smile

I believe there are more creative ideas than my boring ones.. haha

Last edited by GS on 11/29/2011, 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/28/2011, 9:33 pm

Glad im not the only one doing that GS lol.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/29/2011, 4:57 am

Have you tried checking if they are not out at night? 15-20 mins without lights is usually enough for mine to come out.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/29/2011, 10:41 am

Quote :
Scorpinox and Bumblebee

Love those names Wink

I can't say i've ever had this problem but if i did i'd not be to worried about it...Males rarely eat as much as females anyway and i'm sure if he got hungry enough he'd leave the hide....Dolby observation is worth following up on....You don't mention what scorp species they are but if they were desert scorps i'd remove the female and smoothen out the sandy substrate and look for signs of movement the next day....If they are a more temperate species i'd introduce a thin layer of fine sand out front of the hide and again look for signs of movement the following day..It could well be he does come out in the early hours of the morning and that you just haven't noticed it.

If there's signs of movement when the male is alone then you could try putting the female back and feeding a decent sized roach to her (one that'll keep her busy for a while) while at the same time introducing a couple of smaller sized crickets...Ideally you'd do this just a few minutes before the lights went out at night to give the male time to come out foraging and hopefully for there to be something there for him to find when he does.

Although again...it's very normal for some males to be very hit and miss when it comes to eating.

Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/29/2011, 11:02 am

Great advice given guys.

Bro Den, they are Pandinus imperators:
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t6949-well-here-she-isscorpinox
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty11/29/2011, 11:35 am

Thank you guys, and yes Den, sorry, they are P. Imps Smile

@ Dolby, I know they do come out at night but I try to catch him out because this guy is strange. He'll let a cricket run right over him, under him, in front of him usually. I do make sure she has one in her face before I send another one into the hide, but it usually runs right back out............

He takes worms from the tongs great (if he's out), and if I push a cricket in front of him while he's out he'll grab it. It's just lately she's always in the way lol.

I guess maybe I'll try sending in a few at a time, maybe with her blocking the entrance he'll get one or 2.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding help - not a feeder question   Feeding help - not a feeder question Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding help - not a feeder question
Page 1 of 1