The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is my girl molting or dead?

Go down 
+3
DolbyR
**GS**
sarah242k
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sarah242k
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Is my girl molting or dead? Empty
PostSubject: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 2:19 am

She was pretty active the last few nights. This morning I noticed she was laying there, her tail to the side, but on the ground...still curled. The rest of her body looks normal, claws in a good position, legs in normal resting position. As far as I can tell, she hasn't moved at all though. I didn't want to disturb her in case she is molting, and I don't handle her anyways. We have the mutual "i wont hurt you if you dont hurt me" pact Smile Anyways, I've taken out the crickets and have done the daily moisturizing of the tank. Any comments or suggestions? I hope she's ok...Ava is a sweetie.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 2:31 am

Sound like you are all prep up for her incoming molt. She'll do just fine.

welcome to the forum Smile
Back to top Go down
sarah242k
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 2:34 am

Thanks for the quick response. I hope you're right. It would break my heart if she passed away. And thanks for the welcome Smile

This is a kind of silly question, but when they molt, is it kind of like when tarantulas do and it looks like a shell of what they are, or more like beardies who loose a little at a time?
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 4:24 am

It's more like Ts do.
Check this thread: WHO MOLTED TODAY? "Share your joy here!" lots of good molting and post-molt pics there. And please do post yours too.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 4:47 am

sarah242k wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I hope you're right. It would break my heart if she passed away. And thanks for the welcome Smile

This is a kind of silly question, but when they molt, is it kind of like when tarantulas do and it looks like a shell of what they are, or more like beardies who loose a little at a time?

I do not have a sample for forest scorpions but the molting process is similar to the following:

Is my girl molting or dead? AndroctonusAustralisHectorbyGSscorpions82

However, they have a few methods of going through a molt. Other than the above demonstration..

They can molt back-flipped (just like some tarantulas):
http://gsscorpions82.multiply.com/photos/album/1/Parabuthus_transvaalicus#photo=33

Or handing upside down from a piece of bark:

Click here to view:

Feel free to post some pics of Ava's molting at the molting thread which DolbyR has provided..
When you are are ready and comfortable of cos Smile
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 7:25 am

Would depend if she is an adult already or not, or if she is in pre molt. The easiest way to tell is it will blimp up. She could just be sitting around. Either way I wouldnt worry too much. A pic would help determine pre molt or not. Goodluck
Back to top Go down
sarah242k
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 10:30 am

I'm not sure how old she is. I'm obviously no expert on this, and a friend has a son who gave her to me. I'm kind of the go to girl for unwanted critters lol. But he had her about 6 or so months. How old she was when he got her is unknown. She seems kind of small to me.

I'll see about getting a pic. I never give her much light at all, other than the red light. Camera phones dont tend to work well in that situation Smile About how long does this process last once she starts becoming inactive? I'm out of town for a few days later this week (got a roommate i'll update whats going on with her to, so she gets extra quiet and care) and hope I don't miss it!

Thanks for those photos GS. Especially the back flipped one. I would have assumed she's dead if I came home to that. Although I guess I wouldn't bury her unless she started smelling. The only thing worse than a dead girl would be burying one alive in the cold ground to die Sad
Back to top Go down
sarah242k
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/15/2011, 2:18 pm

Hmm...as of this morning, she wasn't really "blimped" up. Of course I'm just comparing to pics I saw on google where they were massive. Ugh, I'm stressed Neutral
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/18/2011, 7:45 am

how is she doing now? Smile
Back to top Go down
sarah242k
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/28/2011, 3:32 pm

Sadly, Ava passed on. Poor girl. I have no idea what went wrong. But I can say I'm not going to be doing anymore scorps for a while. This is quite traumatizing since I don't know if it was my care, or if she was sick when I got her (I'd only had her about a month or so) or what. Either way, I wish she was still here trying to climb out of the enclosure and making her underground caves and continually rearranging her "decor".

Since I had nowhere to bury her and refused to throw her in the trash, I gave her a nice send off in the ocean. I miss her Sad
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/28/2011, 3:35 pm

Sad sorry to hear that
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/28/2011, 3:51 pm

Aw no sorry for yr loss but don't be put off keeping more if I had a list of the scorpions and T's I've lost so far it would be quite long it is very rarely a death due to the owner especially if they are a member here don't be down hearted get another scorp maybe one a bit older if yr that worried about molts, it goes without saying that you have all the help here you need so it won't be you causing deaths unfortunately sometimes it just happens, well a lot of the time it just happens it does,from experience , take a while to realise but chin up try again Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/28/2011, 4:02 pm

+1 to Bex.
Definitely do not give up on scorps. I don't even want to count how many I've lost until now. After the 3rd loss I was ready to give up, but I'm glad I didn't.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/28/2011, 4:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss
Back to top Go down
SIXPENCE
Pandinus
SIXPENCE

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty11/29/2011, 10:53 pm

Sorry to here about your loss, don't give up on them, I agree with BEX sometimes it just happens (in nature also)....get a little older one, you'll be glad you did!!! (smiles)
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/arthur_barnes/corner
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my girl molting or dead?   Is my girl molting or dead? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my girl molting or dead?
Page 1 of 1