The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Guess whats Gravid?

Go down 
+8
Chrome
Envyizm
leiurusSaleen820
spinnin_tom
pluto
Streettrash
Bedlam
tdark1
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tdark1
Centruroides
tdark1

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 6:23 pm

Streettrash wrote:
I don't know man. The chela look too slender to be crassicauda in my opinion.

Here's a LINK to a thread with a comparison of crassicauda to bicolor.

Curious if he had any shots of an adult female as the male chela are impressive in the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 6:27 pm

LINK to anatomy shots of adult female crassicauda.
Back to top Go down
tdark1
Centruroides
tdark1

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 6:43 pm

Streettrash wrote:
LINK to anatomy shots of adult female crassicauda.

Street,

Thanks, I looked through that prior to posting beforehand (just the referenced female is larger then mine, making it harder). I've been looking around this morning and think I'm almost more confused then I was when I started, I just want to make sure the ID is correct (whatever it may be). I see some Bicolor with yellow legs, like the one in my pic and some without (A. Crass was described with having yellow legs as a feature per the website I linked).

Rob

P.S. - Does anyone know any cases of these "cross-breeding" in the wild?
Back to top Go down
AzJohn
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 9:16 pm

It's A bicolor. If you look at the granulations on the tail and compare it to the great pictures of A crassicauda you'll see the difference, look at the middle row of bumps on the 2nd and 3rd tail semgents from the body, those bumps are not really their in A crassicauda. Combine that with the claws and it looks a lot like A bicolor. I purchased a "A crassicauda" just like yours and couldn't tell the difference with it and a Bicolor. I asked about it on another forum. I figured it was A bicolor. Regaurdless it's a real nice species anyways.
Back to top Go down
tdark1
Centruroides
tdark1

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 9:21 pm

AzJohn wrote:
It's A bicolor. If you look at the granulations on the tail and compare it to the great pictures of A crassicauda you'll see the difference, look at the middle row of bumps on the 2nd and 3rd tail semgents from the body, those bumps are not really their in A crassicauda. Combine that with the claws and it looks a lot like A bicolor. I purchased a "A crassicauda" just like yours and couldn't tell the difference with it and a Bicolor. I asked about it on another forum. I figured it was A bicolor. Regaurdless it's a real nice species anyways.

I think we spoke about it on the other forum AzJohn. All signs point to Bicolor I guess, any idea on why the massive size differences from the typical Bicolor's that we see so often? As I had a ton of them to compare to the animals labeled A. Crass... Thank you all for the help in ID'ing this gal!

I just want to know who fed these specific scorpions, steroids!!

So just a freakishly large A. Bicolor is the verdict, or a subspecies of A. Bicolor that get bigger? As these are large? I like to be as accurate as possible!

Thanks,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/3/2011, 10:14 pm

Looked at both of mine and it seems we have identical A. bicolors. Mind putting a quarter beside it for size reference? Doesnt matter if its fuzzy.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty8/4/2011, 3:14 am

Androctonus b. longecarinatus get bigger as well as some regular morphs (bloodlines) get quite big too.

It is no Crassicauda for the fact (even ignoring the pincers) that the tail is the typical bicolor tail. It has round segments and too much granular rows. There are only three present in Crassicauda and they have square tails, just like mauritanicus and australis.

In europe these get sold for crassicauda too, but they're not. They are just very very large bicolor from a same shipment I suppose. The big ones here, come from Egypt, which makes me doubt about longecarinatus since they are from Libya.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess whats Gravid?   Guess whats Gravid? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guess whats Gravid?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2