The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Looking for some input

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-07-14

Looking for some input Empty
PostSubject: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/15/2011, 5:59 am

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I currently have one female emp. I had two but unfortunately my first, the one i've had for the longest time just passed a few days ago. They were both female. The one that died was very docile and never in the least bit aggresive. My newer female was more aggressive and occasionally they got into fights. Whats odd is that my emp that died lost the tip of her stinger maybe a week before she died. I am unsure if this had to do with her fighting or not. She also seemed to secrete a clear liquid from her body which i thought to be venom but it wasn't coming from the tail so i have no idea what it was.

I am planning on getting a few more to put in my enclosure which is a 20 gallon tank with multiple hide spots. usually kept around 77 degrees F and about 70% humidity. The substrate is all ZOOMED Eco Earth substrate. I keep the tank heated with an overhead heat lamp with a red bulb. Foil over the top to keep the humidity in. I also mist the inside on a regular basis.

I definately want to get a few more emps in there, one of which i want to be a male to promote breeding. I am just worried about my current female getting overly aggressive and maybe killing any of them because i still am unsure of my other female's cause of death.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/15/2011, 6:19 am

Hi clear fluid leaking, is blood.. so she most probably did got in a fight with the other one.
Big layer of that substrate and bumping the temps a bit to lets say 85 would be ideal.

Even a bit more humidity would not hurt it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/15/2011, 6:47 am

that is kind of what i had thought also about the clear liquid but i wasn't sure. I've seen some pics that others have posted with lots of rocks underneath the substrate. Does this help the whole tank retain its humidity or is it purely for looks because it is something i was considering doing.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/15/2011, 9:15 am

Rocks on the bottom keep humidity in the substrate. You can make a filltube go through your soil till the rocks all the way down. You can water your entire substrate that way without having to worry about parts getting too humid and others not at all. Also water cannot evaporate as quickly since your soil is kept moist from beneath.
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/16/2011, 2:39 am

Sounds good. How many inches of rock and substrate would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/17/2011, 2:43 am

I just put in a false bottom with pebbles and have a good amount of substrate atop it. I wanna get some pics of the enclosre up so I can get suggestions on any ways to improve it
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/17/2011, 3:19 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/19/2011, 1:16 am

sorry for your emps passing.
get some pics up and false bottoms rule.
i noticed you have basicly what i have ryu.
1 ball python and 2 emps.
when your a centruroides youll probably end up with a centruroides daycare like me. Danceparty
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/19/2011, 10:16 pm

i've been trying to get some good pics but its very dark and my camera flash sucks lol. i'll make it work though.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/19/2011, 10:18 pm

Use a lamp for the lighting. No flash required. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/19/2011, 11:34 pm

I'm gonna have to lol
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/20/2011, 5:11 am

Looking for some input 283282_227448330626831_100000849963554_657776_2125349_n

here we go. I'm thinking about getting some plant life in there but this is what I have going on right now.

I'm completely open for suggestion also Cool
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/22/2011, 3:53 am

me personally.just what i would do and not necessary..
id level out the gravel because im ocd and add a screen between the substrate and gravel if you havent.
lay the half log down normally.put those flat rocks(i hope arent heavy) flat and start a lil scrape for em and let em finish it.put hide and burrowing opportunities on both sides of the tank.
id add some a couple of live plants and fake plants and something not too high for them to climb on.id also add a lil more substrate and make that hill/slope again with it.
but what you got goin on there is nice already and definitely better than alot that ive seen.
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/22/2011, 6:20 am

That's 100% tidier than what I have. My tank is just a mound of dirt,moss and pieces of wood. It really just looks like a dirty mess. But forest floors are a dirty mess. Here's a pic, you can see some of it's tunnels. No artificial hides and the substrate is coco fibre, coco husks, moss and Eco earth stuff all mixed together that i just heaped in and compressed on top of fish gravel. The scorpion done the rest. It collapses on the scorpion but it just keeps digging all the same. The scorp is highly aggressive.

Looking for some input Photo-5
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/22/2011, 9:48 pm

shining wrote:
me personally.just what i would do and not necessary..
id level out the gravel because im ocd and add a screen between the substrate and gravel if you havent.
lay the half log down normally.put those flat rocks(i hope arent heavy) flat and start a lil scrape for em and let em finish it.put hide and burrowing opportunities on both sides of the tank.
id add some a couple of live plants and fake plants and something not too high for them to climb on.id also add a lil more substrate and make that hill/slope again with it.
but what you got goin on there is nice already and definitely better than alot that ive seen.

that big flat piece isn't a rock its a piece of bark for them to climb on on hide under. and i do have hides on either side which they took the liberty of digging all the way through the substrate and down to the gravel. As far as the plants go, i want to get some in there but im not sure what yet.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/22/2011, 9:57 pm

sweet.like i said im just ocd,you should see my room.i go crazy if somethings out of place.
everything is fine in your setup as is.
as plants go you should look into ponthos and sword plants.plants would greatly enhance the overall feel of your emps home,a smooth background wouldnt hurt.
i need to get me a 20 gallon for my emps.i wanted to wait til my bp grows out of its 20long to give to my emps but thatl take another year or two.my ten just seems like theres too much going on to promote breeding.
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/24/2011, 8:53 pm

i wish to breed mine as well. one of my females is still rather small though compared to the other female and male. for now i am keeping her in her own enclosure until she gets bigger. Or would it be ok to keep them in the same viv? I'm slightly concerned for her safety.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/24/2011, 9:24 pm

the weaker ones always have it harder.. up to you to know her situation. If your tank is large, id risk it, if it is not. Keep her safe on her own for a while
Back to top Go down
predatorryu
Hadogenes
predatorryu

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty7/24/2011, 9:27 pm

Its a 20 gallon tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some input   Looking for some input Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for some input
Page 1 of 1