The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis

Go down 
+3
Streettrash
shining
shebeen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty
PostSubject: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/1/2011, 1:50 am

I have an exo-terra mini tank (12x12x12 inch) that I want to set up for housing a single H. arizonensis.
I'm aware that this species needs some (small) amount of moisture to molt, but is also susceptible to mycosis.
Some members of this forum (I can't recall who offhand, sorry) have used a partial false bottom setup to create
a moisture gradient to accommodate molting without producing excessive moisture that might promote mycosis.
I thought I would try a similar set up using a cut down drawer organizer to provide a narrow false bottom on
one side of my enclosure. Below are a couple of picture to show you what I'm thinking of doing.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Haddy-10

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Haddy-11

The tray will either be filled with gravel or a piece of egg-crate light diffuser panel, then wrapped with nylon window
screen. A short fill tube (capped Smile ) will be installed in the front just behind the doors. I plan to have substrate
extending from the bottom of the doors to half way up the back of the enclosure, providing lots of room for burrowing.

I have everything I need to finish the build, but I would like to get some feedback from those of you who are keeping
or have kept H. arizonensis. Is the way to go, or should I be trying something else? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/4/2011, 12:41 am

that sounds genius.might need a bigger drawer organizer to cover 1/3 of the bottom instead of 1/4.im ignorant to the care of that species and 1/4 might be proper.but either way id say your on the right track.

id wait for someone who knows what theyre talking about though. My eyes!
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/5/2011, 9:35 pm

I stopped by Target today and found a better tray candidate. I had to cut it apart to get the piece
I wanted, but it's a perfect fit; plus, it's transparent so there's no guessing about the water level.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Haddy-12

Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/5/2011, 11:20 pm

Nice. I was going to suggest trying to find a clear one.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/6/2011, 12:17 am

perfect dude!!!
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/11/2011, 12:54 am

I've made some progress on my haddy tank. This post is picture heavy (that's a good thing right? Smile )
The only reason I'm incorporating a partial false bottom is to accommodate a juvenile or sub-adult that needs
to molt, or, a gravid female. Both cases will do better with a moisture gradient. If I get an adult male, I don't
plan on using the false bottom at all. I just want to have it available if I need it.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht110
False bottom tray incorporating nylon wicks.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht210
False bottom tray installed in 12x12x12 inch exo-terra habitat.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht310
I should have placed the fill tube back one square, but this will work.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht510
I placed about 1/4 inch of coco fiber over the false bottom screen to prevent sand from filling the tray. I think the
coco fiber might also help with wicking moisture from the tray into the sand/clay substrate. I have no idea if this
is a good idea, but it seems reasonable.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht410
Sand and excavator clay for substrate. Not sure what the camera was thinking here: the label on the sand is actually
white and the background on the ex-clay bag is orange. The colors are pretty, however.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht610
I'm using a 80/20 mixture of sand/ex-clay for my substrate. The decapitated Snapple bottle is going to hold a potted
Aloe (or other desert plant). It's basically just a container to hold a standard 2.5" plastic pot. It should make it easy
to remove the plant when it needs watering or replacing. It will also prevent any moisture from the plant/pot leaking
into the substrate.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht710
I gave the substrate a through misting of water while mixing it up with a fork. When I could no longer see any dry
sand, I stopped and let it sit for 10 minutes.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht810
I tamped the substrate down using the bottom of a hammer handle. It was the perfect tool for the job.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht910
This is just a 1 inch layer of substrate to make sure I have the correct sand/clay/water mixture and to get an
idea if how long it takes to dry.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Ht1010
I've got it drying under a 75W IR lamp.

Last edited by shebeen on 2/13/2013, 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/11/2011, 1:39 am

Still looking good. Thanks for the picture updates. I'm glad you've decided to add a haddy to your family there. They are great scorpions.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty7/11/2011, 9:07 pm

that is gonna be one sweet setup when completed.definitely thanks for the pics
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/15/2011, 7:34 pm

I finally finished setting up the tank. After a month or so, I figure the substrate is about as dry as it's going to get.
It's not as cool as Bexs' tank with the Roman columns, but it should do the trick. Smile

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H110
It can use some more decorations (rocks, twigs. etc.) but it's ready for habitation. The exo-terra enclosure came
with a nice screen top but it has a plastic rib running across it. I wasn't sure how well it would fare with a heat
lamp sitting on it, so I'm using one of my window screen tops instead. The incandescent bulb is just for photos.
I plan to replace it with an IR bulb.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H210
I'm using vinyl floor tiles as a background on two sides. They're held in place with masking tape for easy removal.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H310
This tank might be too small for a built in planter, but I want to give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I can always
remove it and fill the hole with sand.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis A110
Here's a collection of Aloe plants I'll use in the planter. When the one in the tank needs watering, I'll swap it out
for one of the others. All the plants are in potting soil. I just added a layer of sand to match the substrate.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H510
Here's the false bottom reservoir that covers 1/3 of the tank. The reservoir is dry; the dark stuff is a layer of coco
fiber.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H710
Plant #1.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H810
Plant #2.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H910
Plant #3. Plant #4 fits a little snug so I omitted it, but you get the idea.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis H1010
Now all I need is a desert hairy to tear the place up and start redecorating. Smile
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/15/2011, 9:24 pm

duuuuude great fing job man! that looks amazing Bex' is awesome too but yours is as well.they are both awesome in their own rights.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/15/2011, 11:48 pm

Looks great! Is your fill tube under the shale in the back-center?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/16/2011, 2:29 am

you are quite the selfmade man tbh... great finishing..
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/16/2011, 2:31 am

Street, its probably under the piece of driftwood in front right

Great setup. Now quick quick, get that haddy in there Smile

Last edited by DolbyR on 8/16/2011, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/16/2011, 10:03 am

Oh yeah. I didn't notice the little tray in the front there... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/16/2011, 1:55 pm

Very cool enclosure! Just don't forget to put a soda cap over the fill tube or you may end up with a prey item or scorpion in your false bottom reservoir
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/16/2011, 2:42 pm

The fill tube is in the front right corner. It's actually too far forward as it sits half way under the door hinge. Sad
I stuffed a piece of aquarium poly fiber in it to keep the sand out. It also has a thin piece of slate wedged over it.
To fill it, I'll just use a short length of flexible tubing attached to a small funnel. That's how I fill the false bottom
in my emp tank.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/27/2011, 4:05 pm

Here's the false bottom in action. I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to include it here as well. I added
about 1/8 inch of water to the false bottom, just enough to reach the rear of the reservoir. After two days, all the
water has absorbed into the substrate and the reservoir is empty except for some condensation. I don't plan on
adding water again for at least 6 months. I hope I didn't add too much, but any less wouldn't have reached the
rear wick in the false bottom.

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Hfb110
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty2/20/2013, 5:19 pm

Thank you fpr this thread it has been very inspiring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis   False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis Empty

Back to top Go down

False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis
Page 1 of 1