The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Thermometer placement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Thermometer placement Empty
PostSubject: Thermometer placement   Thermometer placement Empty5/27/2011, 2:43 pm

I just purchased my first Emperor scorpion a few days ago and would like some recommendations for thermometer
placement. I know an ideal temperature is around 85F, but where should this be measured? My temperatures vary
a lot depending on the proximity to the heat source. I'm using a standard 10 gallon aquarium with a false bottom for
my enclosure. I have a 6x8 inch heat mat on one side of the back wall and an IR lamp w/dimmer in the opposite
corner. In order to get a temperature in the mid 80's near the center of the tank, I need temperatures in the mid
90's near the heat sources. Is this typical for such a set up? I've lined both ends and half the back of the tank with
1/2 inch polystyrene insulation board to combat heat loss through the glass and the top is covered with acrylic except
under the heat lamp. I'm currently using 4 digital thermometers to measure the temperature at various locations
while I get this sorted out.

My scorpion seems happy (if scorpions can actually be happy). He or she has started a burrow under the wood hide
and last night made quick work of the cricket I offered. I haven't had an opportunity to sex it yet as it pretty much
stays hidden. Any advice you folks might have is more than welcome.

Thermometer placement Tank_210
Here's my set up. I plan to paint the insulation board since it's more for conduction loss than radiation loss, and,
it's just plain unsightly the way it is. I got a little carried away with the moss so I'll probably remove some of it.

Thermometer placement Temps_10
These are the temperatures I'm currently seeing. From left to right: heat mat, back wall, tank center, side wall near IR
lamp.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Thermometer placement   Thermometer placement Empty5/27/2011, 2:49 pm

Hey I like your set-up, looks spot on, any of the scorp?

Looks like you have the temperature monitoring more than covered Laughing I just check the warm side and the cool side.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Thermometer placement   Thermometer placement Empty5/27/2011, 3:47 pm

This is the best picture of my scorp that I have so far. When I brought him home, he went
straight to the terra cotta hide where he stayed for a few hours, then moved over to the
wood hide before I could grab my camera. I know he comes out at night because the moss
is all rearranged the next morning, but that's well after I go to bed.

I found the digital thermometers on sale awhile back so I bought several. I also keep tropical
fish and aquatic frogs so they come in real handy.

Thermometer placement Scorp_10[url][/url] Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Thermometer placement   Thermometer placement Empty5/27/2011, 3:57 pm

I'm gonna agree with Jamie and say you thermometer are great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermometer placement   Thermometer placement Empty

Back to top Go down

Thermometer placement
Page 1 of 1