The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Habitat additions?

Go down 
+2
*~BEX~*
WyattEarp4137
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 1:32 pm

Howdy,
I am thinking about adding some punky wood and some leaf litter from the woods behind my dorm to my Imperator habitat. Just wanted to run it past all Y'all and see what your thoughts were. Would this be acceptable or something that I probably shouldn't do? I was thinking stuff like that could help keep the humidity level up in the tank. Thanks All!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 1:37 pm

generally if we add stuff from outside to tanks we need to bake it to kill off any pesticides and stuff that could harm the scorpion first but if you can do that then yeah i would say go for it, we usually stick stuff in the oven for half hour to an hour Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 2:24 pm

Make sure any leaves you use are non-toxic. Even though your scorpion will probably not eat the leaves, if any crickets eat them the toxins can be passed on to the scorpion when it eats it. Beech and oak are definately safe. I use the wood and leaves of these trees in quite a few of my tanks.
As bex said, sterilize the wood and leaves as best you can. You can bake them or microwave them. If you microwave them make sure they are damp when you put them in to stop them crackling or burning.
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 2:31 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
generally if we add stuff from outside to tanks we need to bake it to kill off any pesticides and stuff that could harm the scorpion first but if you can do that then yeah i would say go for it, we usually stick stuff in the oven for half hour to an hour Smile
+1, I have some outside stuff from the yard too, just bake/boil depending on what it is and then your safe to go.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 2:33 pm

Oops, replied in the duplicate thread. Razz

"Throw 'em in the oven first to sterilize them, then they'll be fine.

350 degrees for 15-30 minutes ought to do it."

Pretty much what the others said. I'd avoid pines and other softwoods; the resins aren't good for most inverts.

I'll go ahead and delete the duplicate thread for you.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 3:33 pm

+1 Bex & Mr. Mordax
Recently, I've collected some barks that has no green molds on them near my workplace. I'm gonna bake it in the oven as well. Most likely i'll be getting a mircowave oven just for the purpose of disinfecting wild collected items.
Else, my wife will be nagging near my ears non-stop Smile
Back to top Go down
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty5/18/2011, 4:59 pm

I'll probably have to take care of that stuff when I go home in a few days then. I doubt the college would smile on using their microwaves to purge sticks and leaves. Razz Thanks for the tips though, throwing this stuff in the over or microwave never occured to me before you said something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Habitat additions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Habitat additions?   Habitat additions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Habitat additions?
Page 1 of 1