The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?

Go down 
+3
Mr. Mordax
Streettrash
leiurusSaleen820
7 posters
AuthorMessage
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty
PostSubject: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/16/2011, 3:21 am

I just got this little guy from my local pet store, tryed looking for a good care sheet
but cant find one. I have a good idea about it but would just like to be sure. Does anyone
have any experience with this species or know where I can find more info. Thanks here's a pic of it eating.

Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Dsc_0514

Last edited by leiurusSaleen820 on 5/17/2011, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/17/2011, 12:07 am

Well since no one has posted anything here I guess I will. I have no personal experience with Orthochiris innesi, but I believe that general care is similar to other scorpions found in the same general locality. Hot and dry, and they do like to dig burrows under rocks and wood. Give them a good amount of sand with some bentonite or excavator clay mixed in, not too much, wet it and let it thoroughly dry out. Be sure you put in some hides while the substrate is still wet for them to dig under. From what I've read they will start burrowing nearly immediately.

Sorry I can't be of any more help with these. I plan on adding some to my collection. Hopefully someone else can come along to help both of us. I know that Hauser keeps these and posts here. Perhaps he can provide some incite.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/17/2011, 10:49 am

If you can find Scott Land (he's on here sometimes, he's also on VL and Facebook), send him a message. I seem to recall that he has experience with these guys.
Back to top Go down
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/20/2011, 1:47 am

Thanks Streettrash n Mr. Mordax for the help.
I just had a bad experience with a Babycurus jacksoni,
I thought I did everything right from what I was told about
it but it still died all of a sudden. So now I just want to know
for sure with every species I get
from here on out.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/20/2011, 12:04 pm

Scorps will die for no apparent reason, and sometimes a lot of random deaths will occur in a short time frame -- it might feel like you did something wrong, but sometimes it just happens. You can't blame yourself.
Back to top Go down
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/24/2011, 1:46 am

Thanks Mordax, I just got 2 more jacksoni's.
Hopefully things go better this time round.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty5/24/2011, 10:58 am

GOod luck dude, post some pics or something while at it, would be nice to share and feed our hunger
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
lweigle
Hadogenes
lweigle

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/22/2011, 1:40 am

keep them HOT!!!! They do good in heat. I use a 50 watt red bulb for a 2 1/2 gallon set up Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Img_1313
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/22/2011, 3:04 am

Very nice setup there, I like the little mountain. Styrofoam or sand with clay?
Also are you in the logging industry? :-)

Welcome btw, nice introduction that picture and info on Orthochirus
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/22/2011, 8:31 pm

In my opinion that's a way too big enclosure unless it's an adult. I keep 3 in smaller tupperware containers with screw on lids.

O. innesi are kinda like more venomous, smaller, desert emperors. They love to burrow and hide for long periods in crevices and their burrows. Try to get clay/sand for them to burrow when they reach closer to adulthodd but before then it's alright to give them a makeshift cardboard and tupperware enclosure till the mature for easier feeding and space.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/23/2011, 2:55 am

Cnrome is an acknowledged man or woman, hell I dont care. I do have to say sometimes opinions can differ. I politely try to say that even if this scorpion is very small and even if they only need a tiny bit of space, no scorpion enclosure can be TOO big.

Its not like they have glass in the wild...

For your own ease of taking care of things yes, it might be harder to maintain a larger enclosure. For the scorpion, no... he choses his spot in what he gets. The bigger, the better.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/23/2011, 10:12 pm

Actually there is such a thing as too big, try putting a one 2i lychas sp, andro sp, or darn near anything else 2i in a 20gal-33gal-60gal tank. It's not the size itself that's the trouble, it's the sheer area that the scorp needs to cover to subdue it's food and sometimes it might not get it at all. The bigger is not the better when dealing with i dare say most scorps especially non adults, and it's also a problem if the give birth and you can't get to them in time to seperate before they leave the back.

In the wild they have a constant food source usually, in captivity it's whatever you give them and I highly doubt anyone is constantly throwing food items in to make sure they get it in a bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/23/2011, 10:49 pm

Both of you have a very good point in your stand.

Personally, i keep all my juveniles/sub-adults in well-vented delicups or kritter tank and I'll only invest in glass tanks when they hit adulthood. E.g. An adult female can stay in the same tank right from the beginning of being mated and up to nurturing her young. Ease of capturing prey and maintainability is one thing, lack of space in my invert room is another factor why i do so.

Imo, if a keeper can invest in great time and effort in building a very large and spacious enclosure for their beloved scorps, i'll choose to believe he/she would have the same diligence and passion to keep prey items readily available for them.

Basically, It's up to individual preference, available time for your inverts and also up to space availability in your home.

As for the nice enclosure that lweigle has posted, just adding more hides.. i think i can house a colony of at least 6-8 O.innesi in there! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty6/24/2011, 12:29 am

I like your style gs. Its diplomatic Smile

Tbh I think in captivity food is more readily available, constantly.. always the right size, nutritional and dropped in front of their noses. THey dont want it? Ok, next day again.. Too fast? Here is a crippled prey.

Bigger is better, if you can afford it.

As I said, each their own opinion on this.
Back to top Go down
lweigle
Hadogenes
lweigle

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty9/25/2011, 8:52 pm

I do agree that it is a very large cage for the sp of scorpion but mine is a full adult female and is doing very very well. she is about to put out another batch of scorplings and i have had no problems with the encloser size. the only problem with large enclosers is really the scorpion acquiring food. this has not proven to be an issue yet for me as she always has crickets in her cage. and yes pluto i am working on getting into the field of forestry i graduate this year with a degree in forestry
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty9/26/2011, 2:17 am

I am very happy for you Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?   Orthochirus innesi care sheet ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Orthochirus innesi care sheet ?
Page 1 of 1