The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorplings are dying

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ajones1986
Pandinus
ajones1986

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Scorplings are dying Empty
PostSubject: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 5:24 pm

I have, excuse me had, 2 emperor scorpions 1 female 1 male and my female just started having babies. i have heard of the mothers eating 1 of their young but not more... she has eaten 2 and left 2 laying out to die... is this normal is there anything i can do to save my scorplings? please let me know as soon as possible thanks
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 5:30 pm

scorpions can eat all there young if stressed some even absorb the fetus's before they are even born if stressed or hungry, you could try giving her a crushed cricket in case it is hunger, have you disturbed her at all? as this may be a reason for her being stressed and in turn eating them
Back to top Go down
ajones1986
Pandinus
ajones1986

PostSubject: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 5:53 pm

I have tried giving her dead crickets medium in size, i know im already at error somewhat due to the person whom i recieved my first scorpion as i was told i was supposed to use sand for emperor scorpions and everything else i have read says im supposed to set it up as a forest floor. she still has 6 babies on her back she has eaten 2 and left 2 to die. she started birthing yesterday morning and is still going now it has been over 24 hours how long does this usually last? thanks for the advice bex...
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 5:59 pm

well if shes on sand i would say most certainly a stressed scorp! she needs at least 4-6 inches of coco fiber and 70% humidity, has she ever tried burrowing? emps will dig burrows about 3-5 inches deep and maybe more if enough substrate given
Back to top Go down
ajones1986
Pandinus
ajones1986

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 6:03 pm

no she has not burrowed at all i gave her ample hiding places enough for her and my male by far but she doesnt actually burrow as it is just sand... i was told zoomed eco earth was good for them but im not sure
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 6:05 pm

deffo get them off sand! yep eco earth is fine Smile also you should seperate gravid (pregnant) females from any others as they will attack and eat other scorpions
Back to top Go down
ajones1986
Pandinus
ajones1986

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/9/2011, 6:06 pm

o ok i couldnt find anything online about it so i left them together. should i wait till she is completely done birthing to move the male out or will the male be alright i there? also should i wait to redo the tank until the scorps molt and move off of mom?
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty5/14/2011, 1:54 pm

Take the male out as soon as possible and keep him in a temporary enclosure. That was the mistake I made with my 1st 2 bacthes because I was (still am) a beginner when I had a female give birth and then actually had another one give birth the next day, so I had 2 females fully gravid giving birth. In my 20 gal, I had 3 Females and a Male that lived fine with each other.

I didn't do anything at all when the mothers had their scorplings becuase I thought nature would do it's thing but, honestly, an enclosure is a controlled environment. All of the 30+ babies died but 3 Crying or Very sad and there was a lot of fighting going on that ended up in one being killed.

But I was lucky enough to be able to get a 3rd try about 2 months later when my 3rd female gave birth. Here's a link to see how that went. Link

Cannabalism is normal, they will eat more than one, or none or even all.

So yeah, get the mother alone, she'll carry for about 2 weeks. If you want, move her to a temporary place that has the forest setup that way she isn't stressed by that anymore. They should not be on sand, but I understand you were misinformed. It happens. I'd get HER out of their. Scoop her up and drop her in a new enlosure that is setup correct. A 10 gallon tank is what I used, their small and worked great.

After you move her, move him into a glass or container and fix the old home to be suitable aswell. Then slap him back in. Once the sligs (Slang for Scorplings) have moved off her back, rearrange the old enclosure and put her back in with her cage mate. Then create a suitable environment for the slig in what you kept the mom in and BAM! Just follow the guide to raising a P. Imperator and you'll be set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings are dying   Scorplings are dying Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorplings are dying
Page 1 of 1