The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Bicolor enclosure and more to come..

Go down 
+5
*~BEX~*
LXDNG79
spinnin_tom
Peloquin
pluto
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 12:26 pm

These are great! well done!!
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 12:29 pm

Thanks

And its really stressy times. Witnessed the male going STRAIGHT for the little hole (other side of the setup).. BAM right in the lair of the female.

I hope they get along.. havent seen either of them after lol..

Or one is now at this moment being eaten or they are enjoying each others company scorpstyle, to mate later on.

No idea for now

Laughing

Correction: The male is in a hole he dug RIGHT BESIDE the hole of the female. Like 2 inches away lol... I'll try to post a pic of both having their pincers out
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 12:36 pm

I fear for the worst since this is their first attempt at breeding and it is not believed to be a communal species.. I like it tight cheers

Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Img0091gm
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 12:40 pm

update:

They made contact and did not attack each other...
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 12:42 pm

Fingers crossed then Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 1:06 pm

They are crossed believe me Bex, thanks for crossing them too Very Happy

The worst has passed though. They both dug out their burrow walls, so both their burrows became one and they are laying next to each other in peace so it seems.

Nature seems to be not so scary after all.

Looks promising. After the mating I'll separate them again.

cheers
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 2:19 pm

Guys,

I just found out keeping waterdishes (even with desertspecies) is REALLY important.
Since i wanted to female to be well fed and hydrated I put a bowl of water in their enclosure.

Silly me of not having it done before Bang Head

Enclosed is a picture. Even Andros, do need moistureness!!!! And as you can see, they're not fighting Smile

Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Img0112tv
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 2:26 pm

Haha awesome pic... Thirsty then, how cute that they are sharing lol Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 2:35 pm

Embarassed my bad... Time to feed too, I guess Suspect
Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Img0113tc

Yes I am pretty amazed how well they get along. Mind you, they have never seen each other prio a few hours today, and are NOT considered communal (at least from what everyone says)!

Makes you think they are not that basic after all
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 3:25 pm

So If i read correctly, the Aneas bicolors as adults are half the size of regular bicolors?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 3:36 pm

Jup, the yellow cup in the picture can serve as a reference. It is the bottlecap of a 1 liter Lipton Ice Tea PET bottle.

Regular bicolors grow up to about 8cm i think.. These are around 4 max 5 cm, and as you can see at their telson. They are black and fully matured.
Personally i find these more docile too. But that might just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Orange pincers and leg endings with a jet black, glossy body

Might have had some Ice Tea left in it, good for their sugar!

You have some scorplings of these, right? Enjoy them! They are a magnificent scorpid race to take care of.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 5:14 pm

Super cool! I believe that my scorpling is a regular bicolor. It was sold as an A. bicolor, so I guess we'll see after a few more molts. It never ceases to amaze me that something so small can be so potent! Really a magnificent creature, and yours are making me super jealous...
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/4/2011, 5:31 pm

lol!

They are very much alike, so no need to be jealous Very Happy

At least you will be able to take a picture without using the macro function Suspect
Only size is the difference as far as I know of.

I like them small, because when they breed.. I'd love to get a big tank full of them Twisted Evil

If they get as big as regulars and crassicauda, mauretanicus, australis etc.. I'd have to get myself an even larger tank (to give them lots of space to prevent cannibalism) and thats where my wallet will begin to protest!

Bigger scorps are cooler, compact ones are, well.. cheaper lol!

As far as venom goes. I have no idea. Never been stung and dont plan to get stung. I do know crickets their own size instantaneously die with some twitching for a sec or two. This reminds me, though docile and generally not aggressive.. they are nothing to mess around with.

Why dont you post a picture of your scorpling here? Would be nice and I'm curious after it too... Have a good night. Im off to bed.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 12:49 pm

Getting Mr. Arachnomantic. Both are still alive, no signs of stress and SHARING a cricket!
Believe it or not.

Mainwhile one of my poecilotheria molted... There goes my hope on spiderlings Suspect
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 3:52 pm

pluto wrote:
Getting Mr. Arachnomantic. Both are still alive, no signs of stress and SHARING a cricket!
Believe it or not.

Mainwhile one of my poecilotheria molted... There goes my hope on spiderlings Suspect

wow do you have any pics of the poecilotheria what species is it? Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 4:03 pm

Hi bex, check out this thread in the beginning. There is a picture of it. It is the female and its a P. Metallica. Did your scorplings arrive?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 4:08 pm

ah it is the metallica thought so, i really like the regalis and rufilata, dont own any though, and no, no scorp yet Sad not looking good is it Sad
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 4:29 pm

They 're a nice spider to display to people. They usually go mongo telling me they didnt know such beautiful colors existed in invert world.

Not looking good no, but ask the seller if they didnt get returned! After all this time its probably "return to sender"...... Or it is lost. I dont see why it would take this long!

I'm still hoping for you for the best though.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 4:38 pm

well they are coming from germany via another member then sent on to me so well have to just see, prly coz of all the bank holidays and stuff...i hope Smile

Where are you from? the us?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 5:09 pm

Hmmm, money gets wired quickly, post service worked full out. I received some slings during this short week yesterday, sent on monday. Anyway, I'm still positive they live, but it should get going fast now. Just to ease the stress on them.

I'm a belgian.. none US :-) Dont worrie, I'm about the only Belgian not liking kids in a funny kind of way Twisted Evil

My money is on a tomorrow delivery!!!!! Just wait and see!
Germany is nextdoor, so if you ever need help, I'm here!
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 5:15 pm

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a P. metallica, but they are soooooo expensive! I'm usually not that into arboreal species, but with the amazing coloration of the metallica it's very hard not to want one!
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 5:52 pm

If I ever get her a sac to hatch, I'll provide you with a sling... As it is, M Balfouri and these are priced ridiculously high. Even more so in the USA I think. What are prices for a sling or juvenile 3cm BL?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/5/2011, 6:32 pm

I found a 1" for $175, and a 3" female for $600! Another shop is selling a 1.75" M. balfouri for $199. Pretty pricey! That same shop had P. metallica slings for $120 and they all got grabbed up fast.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/6/2011, 3:08 am

Don't buy one at those prices unless you really really want one now. I'm pretty confident I can get my couple to breed. They did, but they female molted last week Suspect

If I ever get them to hatch some slings, I'll send you some if you pay shipping and packing.
Promised it to someone else here too and I dont have use for many little spiders.

Today I am boggled. I have mated scorpions before, even andros. But this couple is weird. As of today I hear like a ticking noise. Really loud! As if the gears of a clockwork are ticking. Really regular, really loud. I cannot find the male, the female is in front of him in the same burrow. But she is eating, so I am pretty sure it is the male making these sounds. He is stridulating, but not in a threatening way, I think. He is not 'hissing', more like a cricket relaxed and monotonuous.

Dont really find anything in this article (which is quite interesting) either

breeding behaviours

Biggest size 6 crickets I have ever seen (too late to see the actual stinging shot)
Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Cricketb

Not a problem though
Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Cricket2
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty5/6/2011, 12:39 pm

I can wait...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bicolor enclosure and more to come..   Bicolor enclosure and more to come.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bicolor enclosure and more to come..
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next