The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty
PostSubject: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 11:39 am

hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and to the hobby so please be nice to me Smile
i recently aquired two small e. flavicaudis, from the big wall in blue town, can these scorpions climb clean glass, since i don't have a lid at the moment? i currently use a piece of wood with some holes, this partially covers the top so oxygen and humidity levels are high(er) than without a lid.
will i need a lid and can these scorps climb?
thanks everyone
tom
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:05 pm

no scorpion can climb clean glass, what they climb is the caulking in the corners of the tanks. A lid is always recommended, a firmly snapped lid that wont come off if the container is knocked off a shelf of sorts.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:31 pm

spinnin_tom wrote:
hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and to the hobby so please be nice to me Smile
i recently aquired two small e. flavicaudis, from the big wall in blue town, can these scorpions climb clean glass, since i don't have a lid at the moment? i currently use a piece of wood with some holes, this partially covers the top so oxygen and humidity levels are high(er) than without a lid.
will i need a lid and can these scorps climb?
thanks everyone
tom

welcome to the forum, i would get a lid that covers the whole top, these little fellas i found managed to climb up our plastic box, and the move fast when they want to Smile what substrate and stuff do you have them on? got any pics? Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:37 pm

Thank you chrome, I will try and buy or make a lid of sorts tomorrow, it's 1800 in the uk, so no shops. Will the mesh you find in ready made terrariums such as the exo terra terrariums?

And bex, I use peat free compost, about 4 inches thick,there is an exo terra jungle vine, cut in half, bent round, it goes slightly less than a half way up the tank, which is about 20/25 cm high. There is also a covering of sphagnum that covers 3/4 of the floor I will put the pictures up later, I'm on my dad's iPad, it's terrible

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:40 pm

spinnin_tom wrote:
Thank you chrome, I will try and buy or make a lid of sorts tomorrow, it's 1800 in the uk, so no shops. Will the mesh you find in ready made terrariums such as the exo terra terrariums?

And bex, I use peat free compost, about 4 inches thick,there is an exo terra jungle vine, cut in half, bent round, it goes slightly less than a half way up the tank, which is about 20/25 cm high. There is also a covering of sphagnum that covers 3/4 of the floor I will put the pictures up later, I'm on my dad's iPad, it's terrible

Thanks guys

you might want to mix some sand in with it, i found ours didnt like it on just substrate so we did 50/50 remember these guys are used to living in a wall Smile also dont go over the top with humidity Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:45 pm

Right, once again, I'll buy some sand tomorrow, will aquarium coral sand work? Or will I need something specific? My closest shop, swallow aquatics sells inverts so they should be able to give me advice when I'm there
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:49 pm

um any sand will do as long as its not calcium sand, we use just normal kids play sand and its loads cheaper like only £2.99 for 15kg from argos just bake it in the oven for half hour to make sure you kill of anything bad

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650574/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAY+SAND.htm
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 1:55 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.

I use swallows alot, the Rayleigh one, they're good but probably won't have much scorpion knowledge. I'd have thought they might like some cocofibre.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:01 pm

JamieLawrence wrote:
Welcome to the forum mate.

I use swallows alot, the Rayleigh one, they're good but probably won't have much scorpion knowledge. I'd have thought they might like some cocofibre.

ours didnt they wouldnt go on it lol just stayed up on the bits of brick as some as we started using the sand in with it they walked around on the substrate much more Smile you have to think they live on brick they never come into contact with mud or anything there, even though in other countries they burrow and everything these do not, guess they have addapted to there surroundings over the last 800years or however long it is they have been there got it in my original sheerness post, also ours have never attempted to burrow whatsoever Smile

Jamie when you getting down there to get yourself some lol Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:21 pm

Right, we have the gravesend swallow, near us. They are very well informed, when it comes to freshwater fish and herps. It's still worth asking. Will definitely get some sand. The scorps should show up better as well
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:22 pm

Right, we have the gravesend swallow, near us. They are very well informed, when it comes to freshwater fish and herps. It's still worth asking. Will definitely get some sand. The scorps should show up better as well
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:26 pm

Good logic, makes sense. Yeah I reckon these guys will appreciate the brick.

Definitely getting my self down there sometime this summer, I was meaning to last year.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:27 pm

spinnin_tom wrote:

just as a heads up though most (not all) shops/exotic pet shops do not know what they are on about when it comes to scorpions (although a lot like to think they do) you will get a lot of conflicting information, (most of the really bad advice people get seem to come from these pet shops) but best to listen to people with the real experience there are many extremely knowlegeable people that use this forum some that have kept scorpions for many many years, im still relatively noobish in comparison to most people on here Smile however you may be lucky and get someone that really knows what they are on about Smile always best to cross reference everything to make sure what your told is correct :0
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:31 pm

Yeah, I suppose, I should know about pet shop info, I have kept fish for 3 years, it' always funny to see the conflict in answers. I ask pets at home staff as I know the answers to just to see if they know their stuff.
It makes sense to ask experts on the forum first
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:34 pm

spinnin_tom wrote:
Yeah, I suppose, I should know about pet shop info, I have kept fish for 3 years, it' always funny to see the conflict in answers. I ask pets at home staff as I know the answers to just to see if they know their stuff.
It makes sense to ask experts on the forum first

haha i do that in one of our local exotic pet shops and the guy comes out with some funny stuff sometimes, although he does admit he is not completely clued up onscorpions but they need to know so much stuff about all the stuff they sell, scorpions are quite low on there list i think, he has 2 spinifers in there communally on some kinda of what looks like a cm (if that) of dry husk like stringy stuff so no burrowing for them poor things will have to save them if they stay there too long
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:48 pm

Spinifer That's a forest scorpion of sorts right? If i'm right they can get territorial, I guess that's the point. Having so littlle amounts of substrate can't be healthy. I hate seeing things like that when I buy fish.
It's just sad to see animals kept in inappropriate conditions, it makes people think you can keep them in such a way as the shop does

Last edited by spinnin_tom on 4/13/2011, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 2:50 pm

spinifer lol stupid phone Smile yeah not communal i dont think
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 3:10 pm

Eughh I know. I cant even tuen it off Mad
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty4/13/2011, 4:55 pm

here's the pictures of the scorp tank as mof today:

https://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j456/spinnin_tom/Scorpions%20Blue%20Town%20Isle%20of%20Sheppey/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?   Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Euscorpius flavicaudis climbing?
Page 1 of 1