The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty
PostSubject: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/21/2011, 8:56 pm

I am planning on getting one, but I want to know how active/outgoing they are? I heard they are pretty outgoing and not as much of a pet hole as the emperor although their care is identical (correct me if I am wrong of course).

I have a emperor which I have seen about 3 times besides it sticking its claw out to grab a tonged cricket (pet hole to the 9th degree), a desert hairy which is ALWAYS out and about, and a red claw that comes out sometimes in the day time but mainly at night.

I am hoping the ASF would be more like the desert hairy or the red claw?

I want my next scorpion to be active not like an emperor lol.

Let me know what your guys ASF do.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/21/2011, 9:24 pm

Mine likes to climb on fake plants... A lot.

It'll probably vary from scorpion to scorpion. Generally though, my AFS IS more active than my Emp. It's more willing to sting though so be careful you don't aggravate it if you do plan on getting one.

Yeah, I got tagged and pinched at the same time a few weeks ago. Honestly the pinching hurt more than the sting.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/21/2011, 11:31 pm

I ask this cause my sister got me the ASF that I have been eying as a way early bday present lol
Here are some pics: I just fed him too which is good that he eats (assuming its male)

Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! IMG114
Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! IMG112
Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! IMG113

Anyone know the species offhand??

Plans are to get a 5 gal for it with the next check and get him out of the KK hopefully he wont be a pet hole, Ill do a starter burrow for it and see where it goes from there as well
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/21/2011, 11:54 pm

Once he/she is in the five gallon with adequate heat you'll see much more activity. Mine used to be in a faunarium, which are useless at keeping heat and humidity in, so it spent most of it's time in the hide, right near the heat source.

As soon as I moved it into a bigger tank with a bulb, it starts climbing and exploring and generally being happy. Never been a fan of digging though oddly...
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 4:07 am

yeah i figured more heat would do the trick unless you are a emperor and you just hide anyways :p
what i prolly ment was, is it more outgoing? lol
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 12:27 pm

Not quite sure how a scorpion can be outgoing...
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 12:30 pm

as in not inside its hide 24/7 like my emperor lol

walking around its enclosure things like that

actually being able to see my scorpion lol
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:15 pm

Daytime - Not a chance in Hell of seeing it.
Evening/Nighttime - Almost definitely will be exploring.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:24 pm

Thats more then my emperor already, seeing how day/night it never comes out lol. So night alone is great as I am usually up late anyways since I work all day.

I wish it was like my desert hairy out and about 24/7, one can only hope lol
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:29 pm

Generally speaking scorpions will only come out at night anyway, because they're nocturnal, you do get exceptions though. Desert hairys being one. Mine is definitely more active at night but it's not unusual for him to come out during the daytime. Must be because he's a desert species rather than a forest floor one.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:34 pm

Yeah I know they are nocturnal, I just wanted to know if the ASF was as much of a pet hole as an emperor thats all.

If it comes out at night to explore thats a perfect, comes out in the day time +1.

I see my baby emperors claws when it reaches out to snag a cricket that I hold in front of it and thats the most I see. It doesnt explore or nothing lol
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:44 pm

My adult emperor does quite a lot of exploring. My juvi emperor does absolutely nothing but sleep and eat.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:52 pm

Sounds like my 2/3i emperor lol must be a youngling thing

Do forest scorpions burrow a lot?
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 1:56 pm

Mine refuses to do it. I've given it plenty of opportunities to do so, but it just sits there like "I'm not getting my claws dirty.", so now I have to dig burrows out for it.

Again, this probably varies from scorp to scorp.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 2:02 pm

I have a exo terra 'cave' in all of my enclosures all but the emperor take advantage of it, will a medium/large piece of cork bark do?

I would take the one from the emperor but I am pretty sure it will start using it when it gets to big for the burrow it dug in the corner by the pothos plant pot, and the fact its partially buried to give it a more 'natural' look.

Right now the ASF is in a small KK cause I dont have the money for the enclosure til friday, it doesnt have a hide but its got liek 4 inches of substrate.
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty3/22/2011, 2:07 pm

If it gets too big for the burrow it'll cave it in and dig another one.

Cork bark is fine, it's what I use. I prefer it over ceramic hides.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!   Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners! Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling all Asian Forest Scorpion owners!
Page 1 of 1