The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

"Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

"Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty
PostSubject: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty3/4/2011, 4:49 pm

How would I go about this? I found a small hollowed out log in the backyard, its been rained on a lot, but its inside and it looks dry.

I heard I am supposed to microwave or stick it in the oven to kill mites/mold right? If so how long and at what temp should I stick it in there? I want to say its about 10 inch long and 4 inch wide roughly?

I want to use it as a hide for my new red claw that I picked up the other day, I will have it partially buried in the substrate with a tiny hole so it will get the idea to burrow in there.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty3/4/2011, 5:21 pm

Just stick it in the oven for 15 mins at about 150-200 that should be long enough to kill off any bad stuff Smile I have done this many times with bark, sand and stones and all scorps are fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty3/4/2011, 6:29 pm

cool thanks, good to know for future outdoor decor too
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty3/5/2011, 11:52 am

If you dig on here a little more I have had some discussions in the past about this. I have baked things at 350 for 30 mins, I have also soaked them overnight in a 5 gal bucket. I forget who said this but they thought it was common misconception to do either as it only really kills the organisms that feed on the harmful stuff you are trying to get rid of. This is also a viable point of view and I have done this too. I have not had any problems with anything I put in my tanks though.
I have also collected branches, bark, rocks and let them sit for months and then make sure nothing is growing on them.
Although you may want to take the various options into consideration depending on where you find your materials. Especially if you find them near a place where pesticides and what not could be present.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty3/5/2011, 5:02 pm

I am pretty sure no pesticides are used in our backyard lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure   "Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure Empty

Back to top Go down

"Treating" Outside wood/log decor before putting it into the enclosure
Page 1 of 1