The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taledus
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-01-20

T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty
PostSubject: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 9:21 am

Setup a new tank yesterday to split up my emps, went out yesterday and came across a large male to add to the collection. I just thought about keeping 3 juveniles in the same tank until they grow, and just moving the previous large male into new tank with the new male.

Now when I put this stuff in it looks dead. I put this stuff on top of the coco fiber and wet pretty good and just pressed into the substrate. This morning I looked in and the new male had some in his mouth area and looked like he was trying to get it out, or clean, or something. Not sure if he was just trying to get moisture from it, as there is a shell in there to hold water like all my other tanks.

But I was curious about the safety if this stuff is chewed up by my scorps? I wanted to add a bit of realism to the enclosure over the hides and on a few hills as I hate the plain coco fiber and terracotta pot look, but if this is going to cause problems I'll just clear it out.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 12:13 pm

When I was 11 I got my first scorpion (an emperor) and made the mistake of putting cotton wool in the water dish to hold the moisture. After a few weeks I noticed that the scorpion had long threads of the wool stuck in its chelicera. It scared me ****less and I was convinced the scorpion would die lol. Anyway I removed the cotton wool from the water dish and the cotton wool eventually disappeared from its mouth. I dont know whether it actually removed the wool or it injested it or what but the scorpion lived happily for years afterwards and even gave me an unexpected brood of babies so it cant have done any harm lol.
As you said your scorpion was probably just trying to get a drink from the moisture on the moss and got a bit stuck in its chelicera. If its really bothering it you could try and remove it with some long tweezers but itll probably sort itself out. Loads of people use moss in their enclosures and I have never heard of a scorpion being killed by moss lol so I would leave it in. Hope thats helped lol
Back to top Go down
Taledus
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 12:42 pm

Yes, it helped. I was just concerned and wanted to double check before I left it in there to cause more damage. Instead of just pressing it in the substrate though I am going to go ahead and try to insert small bunches by hand into it to see if that might keep it from coming up.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 2:18 pm

they use their mouths to burrow as well, are there any shallow holes anywhere by chance? Or actual burrows? Or moved dirt?
Back to top Go down
Taledus
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 3:24 pm

Actually the moss is placed near one of the premade holes I made and he was in it facing the front. It wasn't that I was seeing his mouth parts move, but his front two legs coming from underneath him pushing foreward several times like a human would trying to get something awful away from his face.

He was fed with tweezers first thing yesterday when he was put in the tank with a large cricket, but because the stuff is fairly loose I think some may have happened into his claw by accident and he just grabbed it thinking it might be food.

Last edited by Taledus on 2/22/2011, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty2/22/2011, 6:07 pm

that's a way they burrow too, having their back end down and their front legs pushing the dirt up and out of the hole.

And they don't try to eat things that arent moving usually, that's why if you put in a dead cricket without moving it in front of the scorpion odds are that they won't touch it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?   T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps? Empty

Back to top Go down

T-Rex Frog Moss and scorps?
Page 1 of 1