The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taledus
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty
PostSubject: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty1/28/2011, 7:00 am

I'll go ahead and apologize for the redneck question...

Stuff I have found around state they will eat between 4-5 crickets each a week. Yet, some of the crickets I put in there have been in there for 4 or more days before they are eaten. Out of the 4 male emperors I have housed together they are eating about 1 cricket each per week.

I don't want to over-feed them, yet don't want to under-feed them and risk them eating each other. My question is: When you have an emperor colony, how many crickets should be kept in the tank?

The FAQ's here state to feed them 1-2 crickets twice a week...should I just feed them 4 crickets twice a week, or keep at least 4 crickets in the tank at all times?

If there is an answer for this, I want to request that it be put with the FAQ for the emperor scorp cause that is the first place I looked and couldn't find anything about it here, or anywhere else for that matter.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty1/28/2011, 8:14 am

i would just stick 4 in and if they are not eaten within 24 hrs remove them again and try again in a few days...they certainly wont starve our emp atm has gone over a month without food shes just not interested lol, and you dont want crickets running around all the time with females laying eggs everywhere Smile
Back to top Go down
Taledus
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty1/28/2011, 9:07 am

Thanks.

I wasn't sure as the crickets in there have been doing nothing but breeding and laying eggs for the past 24 hours...yet wont do jack in the container I have setup to farm them, so I must be doing something wrong in there.

However, I can't really find a downside to self-replicating feeders already in the tank Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty1/28/2011, 12:29 pm

Downside is that if there are too manyvthey will stress the scorp out Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty1/29/2011, 5:55 pm

Letting them breed in the tank is akin to having a cow in your living room in case you get hungry for steak. Not to mention they'll also poop, die, leave exoskeletons, leave leftover food to rot, stink, and possibly attack molting scorpions.

If you're trying to farm crickets, you need to give them something to lay their eggs in. A dish of moist sand, soil, or coco fiber works fine. You also need to give them lots of hiding spots (layered egg cartons work great), as crickets won't hesitate to cannibalize a molting tankmate.

Also, be prepared for some major stink. Roach colonies are less cannibalistic and tend to not stink as much.
Back to top Go down
Taledus
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty2/2/2011, 9:45 am

The crickets were removed and put back in 2 days later and eaten. I've gotten the same coco fiber that they were laying in the emp tank in their enclosure, with plenty of hiding places. To be honest I think I am just trying to start off with too few crickets to start farming them, so I'll just get some more and another enclosure and start again.

One more question about my emps though...

If I am having a colony tank, I have read that you have between 1 and 1.5 hides per emp. Now, since I have had all 4 in the same tank, they all go for the same hide, with the larger ones guarding the entrance.

I'm wanting to make some sort of cave/rock hide with privacy windows to check up on them every few days. But since they are all grouping together I was thinking that it might be better to make 1 or 2 larger hides instead of several smaller ones.

Any advice on this?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty2/3/2011, 1:30 pm

A lot of them will all gather in the same hide, but it's best to provide a couple of spares for either A) selecting the ideal temperature / humidity levels, or B) if one needs to get away from the group (or is pushed out by the group).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?   Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank? Empty

Back to top Go down

Number of feeders per scorp in a colony tank?
Page 1 of 1