The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Tank help for tex scorp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Tank help for tex scorp Empty
PostSubject: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/5/2010, 10:07 pm

I have ordered a scorp from Texas does anyone know what I should put in his tank heat amount,substrate, hides things like that? Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 2:00 am

Well, what KIND of scorp from Texas? There's a lot.

And please don't say "yellow" -- they're all either yellow or brown.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 2:41 am

I'm sorry I'm new however I beleave it is a bark scorpian the pet guy just said yellow texan and I quicky found out he was not skilled in species haha so I didn't know if there was a particular set up or if it varies
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 4:23 am

Post a picture if you've already acquired the scorpion in our ID section and we'll see if we can figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 1:10 pm

So it's not a DH? Well, we don't ever do caresheets by state or country. Within each there are usually many different ecosystems, elevations, temperatures, humidities, plants and veggie-tation Smile. Soil, rock type, etc....

For Example Texas from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas

Due to its size and geologic features such as the Balcones Fault, Texas contains diverse landscapes that resemble both the American South and the Southwest.[10] Although Texas is popularly associated with the Southwestern deserts, less than 10% of the land area is desert.[11] Most of the population centers are located in areas of former prairies, grasslands, forests, and the coastline. Traveling from east to west, one can observe terrain that ranges from coastal swamps and piney woods, to rolling plains and rugged hills, and finally the desert and mountains of the Big Bend. Due to its long history as a center of the American cattle industry, Texas is associated with the image of the cowboy.

Texas is the second largest U.S. state, behind Alaska, with an area of 268,820 square miles (696,200 km2). It is 10% larger than France and almost twice as large as Germany or Japan, though it ranks only 27th worldwide amongst country subdivisions by size. If it were a country, Texas would be the 40th largest behind Chile and Zambia.

The large size of Texas and its location at the intersection of multiple climate zones gives the state very variable weather. The Panhandle of the state has colder winters than North Texas, while the Gulf Coast has mild winters. Texas has wide variations in precipitation patterns. El Paso, on the western end of the state, averages as little as 8 inches (200 mm) of annual rainfall while Houston, on the southeast Texas averages as much as 54 inches (1,400 mm) per year.[98] Dallas in the North Central region averages a more moderate 37 inches (940 mm) per year.
Generally, snow falls multiple times each winter in the Panhandle and mountainous areas of West Texas, once or twice a year in North Texas, and once every few years in Central and East Texas. Snow rarely falls south of San Antonio or on the coast except in rare circumstances. Of note is the 2004 Christmas Eve Snowstorm was the first recorded White Christmas in Houston where 6 inches of snow fell as far south as Kingsville, where the average high temperature in December is 65° F.[99]
Maximum temperatures in the summer months average from the 80s °F (26 °C) in the mountains of West Texas and on Galveston Island to around 100 °F (38 °C) in the Rio Grande Valley, but most areas of Texas see consistent summer high temperatures in the 90 °F (32 °C) range.
Night time summer temperatures range from the upper 50s °F (14 °C) in the West Texas mountains[100] to 80 °F (27 °C) in Galveston.[101]

So, as you can see, asking for care requirements by state is not going to help you much here! Smile I think there are quite a few people on here who will be able to I.D. quickly if you can get a picture, or a scientific name. Your next best option is to go through what I showed in the other thread, Kari's scorpion pages, State checklist, then Pic's of all 20 Texas described species, and visually, without much knowledge, you should be able to figure it out. Might take you an hour or two, but you could do it. But I don't mind from picture either. Good luck. r
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 2:25 pm

Ok I'll post a pick to make stuff easier as soon as here's here Tuesday and nope it wasn't he has a skinnyer build than a dh but you were very helpfull when I thought it was but I'll post a pick asap
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 5:41 pm

https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Nomadinexile/Centruroides%20vitttatus/

This album has pictures of the only bark scorpion in Texas, C. vittatus. These pictures include both "xeric" and "mesic", however, there are also "panthernensis" and "chisosarius" (sp?). You should not be getting "chisosarius" sp?, but the others would all be possibilities. They are skinnier as scorpions go.... Just an idea. r
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 6:57 pm

I won't be a hundred percent sure because when I ordered it she ordered the wrong one which was a DH so I will let you know soon as I get it but why wouldn't I get the chisosarious are they rare? And also you are very intelligent with your species thank you for the help thus far
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/6/2010, 7:18 pm

You are welcome.

The "chisosarious" can only be found in the Chiso's Mtn. range, which happens to be the only U.S. Mountain Range fully within a National Park, Big Bend N.P..

Now it is possible to get permits too collect there, but people who can or do get permits, won't be selling them, they would be for science, not the pet trade. But really, very few scorpions that I know of our endemic only in parks like that, so just count that one as a morph that will probably just stay wild. But that's cool. You should go to big bend anyway. Smile Just take only pictures there, or your metasoma will end up in prison or with a fine you'll be paying off for a long time. And that's the U.S. They will get theirs. Smile r

**Edit** This is just known range.... There is a possibility that it can be found outside of the park, but that is not know yet that I know of. There are large parts of this area which haven't been studied much if at all, particularly, outside of the park. ****
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/7/2010, 12:55 am

Oh ok if I come across anything like that I'll let you know they company I get my scorps from are police that adopt out so if they come across one I will let you know
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/7/2010, 4:26 am

When do you reckon you'll have the pictures? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty2/7/2010, 4:38 am

I get the scorp Tuesday so you will see it as soon as I do I'll let you get first crack at what species it is
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank help for tex scorp   Tank help for tex scorp Empty

Back to top Go down

Tank help for tex scorp
Page 1 of 1