The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty
PostSubject: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/20/2010, 10:13 pm

I have an adult emp and 5 baby h. sp been in the hobby for almost a year now and would like to take the next step of getting Vaejovis spinigerus would that be advisable? I've ordered the new exo terra nano 20x20x30 cm terrarium what substrate and how many adults could i keep communal with this species?? oh substrate ive seen for the caresheets online are sand mostly, would it be ok if i choose coco fiber or would that be too humid for these scorps?? awaiting reply for experts in this species Very Happy thanks in advance guys!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 2:08 am

They're pretty easy, but only about half of people report success with communal setups. I had one female who kept eating tankmates.

Coco fiber is fine -- nothing is too humid if you don't put water on it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 12:40 pm

thanks alot for the info im just waiting till winter is over so i can order 5 baby v. spinigerus altough ive been tryna search feeding videos on youtube and such to see if theyre really an aggressive species... so far no luck... do they actually catch prey quickly not like the pandinus or heterometrus sp? coz u can put a pinkie mouse infront of them and will take them 30 to 40 mins to realise it's food and theyre more like a lazy species when they hit adult i wonder what the v. spinigerus are like :/
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 1:00 pm

oh yea another thing... does Hottentotta Hottentotta fall in the category of DWA pets here in UK?? which would be a much interesting scorpion to keep the Vaejovis Spinigerus or Hottentotta Hottentotta? and where would I be able to buy online for the Hottentota Hottentota?? coz ive been searching and they are all from america and don't ship international :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 2:18 pm

Yes, they do! All from the buthidae family is on DWA which is pretty much every interesting scorpion! Rolling Eyes

All of these scorpions are on the DWA list!

"Click to see all scorpions from the Buthidae family":

Last edited by René on 12/22/2010, 5:22 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : That's a really freakin' long list)
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 2:27 pm

awww that sucks arse... thanks for the update...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 2:32 pm

No problem! And yea, it DO sucks for you Wink
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/21/2010, 2:51 pm

well i hope the vaejovis/hoffmanius spinigerus could satisfy my needs in the hobby Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 4:43 am

V. spinigerus will attack prey and sting readily, but they'll also hide most of the time if given the chance.

The easy way to tell if something is on the DWA list is to ask if it's a Buthid. Buthid = DWA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 5:21 am

Just a quick question: I believe buthidae is the scientific name for the family, is buthids a nickname in the US or am I completely off?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 6:25 am

Don't lose faith mate, that lists exhausting but there's plenty of interesting scorps to keep us UK people busy. I'd re-evaluate your wanted list though lol Very Happy

My spinigerus is probably my most active scorp and the only one not to make a big burrow and hide in it. Shes quite fiesty though and I don't think i'd like to try her in a communal, always uses stinger for prey.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 6:31 am

what if you can get hold of those species you're not allowed and get caught what is the worst case scenario?? I really want to get some A. Bicolor... if it's worth the risk I would do it but I might just end up applying for a DWA...
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 6:58 am

***warning*** dont start discussing getting illegal scorps your posts will be deleted its in the rules...dont want you getting told off like we did lol, i would look into getting a licence it varies from place to place in the uk as to what your local council decides the "rules" are but i believe they are updating rules and regs at the moment so all councils have a standard guide go by.
heres a link to our local council DWA applications page so you get an idea...

DWA Application

here is a link to the UK DWA list...

DWA List 2007

But its basically these - Family Buthidae: All species. Buthid scorpions.
Family Hemioscorpiidae: The species Hemiscorpius lepturus. Middle-Eastern thin-tailed scorpion
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 8:10 am

I didn't say I was gonna do it just curious of what would have happened I hope I didn't offend the Admins.. sorry in advance.. yea I have researched a bit on it and it cost 400 for me +vets and checking the house etc... was wondering if its possible to get one from another nearer council or does it have to be where you are staying? coz the price range is completely different >.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 10:59 am

I'm guessing that if you got caught without the proper licenses, you'd just get them confiscated, and maybe slapped with a fine (unless you were distributing them as well, then they might get a little more irritated). At least, that's what authorities in the US do when you get caught keeping Phasmids without the correct paperwork.

René wrote:
Just a quick question: I believe buthidae is the scientific name for the family, is buthids a nickname in the US or am I completely off?

The only portion that is italicized (or underlined) is the genus and species. Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, and genus are all capitalized as well if you're using the correct conventions (species is always lower-case).

With regards to Buthids vs. Buthidae, Buthidae is the whole family, but a member of it can be referred to as a Buthid. Plural members can be referred to as Buthidae or Buthids.

This came up a lot in my old job, with the phrase "Eriophyid mites" being interchangeable with "Eriophyids" and "Eriophyidae."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 11:57 am

Aha, I see Smile

Majestic, if it's a matter of some animals for your own needs and not some for profit, a confiscation and a fine is what happens...
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty12/22/2010, 5:07 pm

well i'm not going to risk it then... either get a license or just enjoy my v. spinigerus instead Smile forget all that trouble if dwa license was cheaper plus research says no keeper in the UK had died from their DWA pets so was wondering why they are so fuzzy... the last answer here was just stupid if no one has die why this strict?? http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/dwa-species/463389-dwa-frequently-asked-questions.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?   Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Vaejovis spinigerus tips and facts?
Page 1 of 1