The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Emperor vs Desert Hairy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-12-07

Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty
PostSubject: Emperor vs Desert Hairy   Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty12/11/2010, 12:08 pm

Having a hard time deciding which to get. Ive been researching for a while but would love to chat about them.
Ive heard that DH is easier to care for as an adult because you dont have to worry about humidity.
Also, wouldnt it be easier to cage clean because of a drier environment with the DH? Less chance for mites?

Just wanted to make a post specifically on the two, maybe it will help me decide.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Emperor vs Desert Hairy   Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty12/11/2010, 1:02 pm

yes the desert hairy is in my opinion a lot easier when it comes to cleaning. they are also much more aggressive and are less likely to sit in a burrow. the emps look more impressive in my opinion with the big claws, but the desert hairys have attitude.
you can make them more visible in the cage too by using black sand to contrast with them, whereas emps have to have cocofibre which is basically the same colour as them.

i would say get the desert hairy if you want a species which shows off a lot and is visible, but you can only keep one per tank because they are non communal.
they also seem to have shot up in price recently so have a good look around for the best deal before buying, and try to get an adult, molts dont go well in captivity with this species.
Back to top Go down
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Emperor vs Desert Hairy   Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty12/11/2010, 2:04 pm

Yeah Ill only get one as its going in a 12x12 cube. Not sure where to get one. The DH sounds more appealing (I agree about the look of the EMp though heheh).
I live in Ottawa Canada and the two places I know of dont carry any atm. Are they usually sold as babies or adults? Seasonal?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Emperor vs Desert Hairy   Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty12/11/2010, 2:47 pm

i have never seen a baby one in a shop, so probably all adults.
they are probably going to be around more when people are out collecting them for the pet trade later next year, though if you look hard enough im sure there around somewhere.
a desert hairy would be better for that tank too because they are a bit smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emperor vs Desert Hairy   Emperor vs Desert Hairy Empty

Back to top Go down

Emperor vs Desert Hairy
Page 1 of 1