The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

False Bottom Alternative

Go down 
+6
Dracennights
**GS**
Kristopher
Canth
Mr. Mordax
iitomodachi1
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

False Bottom Alternative - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: False Bottom Alternative   False Bottom Alternative - Page 2 Empty3/24/2011, 1:42 pm

nice, but how will you know when to stop pouring water into the tubes? with the gravel you can see how much water is at the bottom, not saying the gravel is better or anything, I was just wondering.

I plan on doing a false bottom in my 5.5g for my new het, gravel or this pcp piping are both fine, I just dont want to be pouring in too much.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: False Bottom Alternative   False Bottom Alternative - Page 2 Empty4/3/2011, 11:08 am

Dracennights wrote:
I used pvc pipes to make my false bottom.. I posted pics but I just cut the pvc into short pieces to replace the rocks and my 40 gallon breeder is not any heavier then a tank with out the false bottom it may even be a little lighter... nice idea as everyone says keep us updated.. I haven't needed to add water to my tank but once in the last 3 months.. it's been very nice but I also have a glass top with the plastic rear piece which I punched holes in....

Hey Bro, if you can find it quickly maybe post a link on here so people can see your method too and compare do whichever makes most sense to them. If not I'll try to find it later as I think I recall seeing it way back when.

Roblicious wrote:
nice, but how will you know when to stop pouring water into the tubes? with the gravel you can see how much water is at the bottom, not saying the gravel is better or anything, I was just wondering.

I plan on doing a false bottom in my 5.5g for my new het, gravel or this pcp piping are both fine, I just dont want to be pouring in too much.

After playing with alternatives and keeping my H. Spins for a while now I do everything by feel. The general rule of (applies especially if you use coco fiber) is watching the color. If it is turning lighter in color it is drying out. You need to add water at that point and you will want to make sure it is dark brown in color and water does not come out when you grab a handful and squeeze it.

Keeping that in mind this is what I do. I set the tank up before needing it so I can monitor how much I'm putting in and tweak it each time until I get it right. I set the tank up and just soaked the heck out of it. I kept adding water and could see the substrate changing colors through the glass. After I added a bunch of water I sat back for an hour or so and checked on it then. I could see the top half of the substrate was still dry so I added at least as much water as I did the first time. Sat back for an hour or so again and repeated until it was just right. Even if it is too wet you will know and can wait to put anything in until it drys out a bit. You do the same process when you just want to maintain it with or without anything in there. Add a little bit and wait, if it's not wet enough yet add a little more. After a short few times of doing this you will have a good feel for how much to add when the substrate looks dry.

Hope this helps Bro, sorry for the delay in response I have not been on in a little while up until the other day.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: False Bottom Alternative   False Bottom Alternative - Page 2 Empty4/3/2011, 3:43 pm

Very cool idea Smile
It looks a lot less messier than other models and a lot less complicated--not to mention cheap! lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: False Bottom Alternative   False Bottom Alternative - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

False Bottom Alternative
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2