The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Allergic to venom?

Go down 
+2
nynoname
*~BEX~*
6 posters
AuthorMessage
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty9/3/2010, 8:08 am

Does anyone know of anyone having a bad reaction to a pandinus imperator? Im alergic to mosquito bites and do get slight swelling if stung by wasps so am too scared to handle mine!
Back to top Go down
nynoname
Babycurus
nynoname

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty9/14/2010, 2:17 am

i got blasted by mine a couple times , its over as soon as it begins! not even close to a bee sting. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty11/18/2010, 1:57 am

I'm aware this is an old post, BUT:

1) It was split from the envenomation report thread because it didn't document a sting, and

2) It's (almost) physiologically impossible to be allergic to scorpion venom, as it contains no histamines, which are the chemicals that trigger allergic reactions in bee stings.
Back to top Go down
dr antoni
Pandinus
dr antoni

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-11-24

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty11/24/2010, 9:40 am

When you have allergies, the most important thing is to prevent it from exposure to allergens. If you have a food allergy then avoid food allergens. If you are allergic to environmental allergens, the fixed guard Clean house from house dust mites and animal fur. If a chemical allergy then avoid chemicals that cause allergies, choose fragrance-free detergents and dyes, avoid cosmetics and beauty products. If you use anti-allergy drugs then follow the instructions of use and do not forget to control your doctor. If you experience severe allergic then you consider using a mark of identity that you have a history of severe allergies.

Excerpted from allergies. William J. Geimeier.

http://kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=familydoctor&article_set=20954&lic=44&cat_id=20156 #
Back to top Go down

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty11/24/2010, 10:16 am

There has never been a confirmed allergic reaction to scorpionstings of any kind (not any that has been recorded anyway!

I might advice to read this post!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty11/24/2010, 1:01 pm

The only thing I've found to confirm possible allergic reactions was a study documenting a skin test using Centruroides vittatus venom where several participants exhibited a positive reaction -- but this is the type of test where they poke you in the skin with a potential allergen to see what happens. I'm not yet convinced that this is indicative of scorpion-induced anaphylaxis.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty11/26/2010, 6:51 pm

if your really worried there must be a way to get it tested. or you could do it yourself, E. flavicaudis would be my envenomator of choice lol! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
art.greig
Pandinus
art.greig

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-01-12

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty1/13/2011, 12:38 am

Testing yourself would not be a bad idea. If by some small chance I am allergic to the venom I have an Epi pen and an Epinephrine inhaler. Both of those can be purchased at local drug stores, and they are pretty inexpensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Allergic to venom? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic to venom?   Allergic to venom? Empty

Back to top Go down

Allergic to venom?
Page 1 of 1