The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

my experiment

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: my experiment   my experiment Empty11/17/2010, 5:24 pm

iitomodachi1 wrote:
the lycan mikey wrote:

lol i was waiting on an answer like this =)
and as fun as that sounds, im not down to do anything that constitutes dealing with snow...
it was just an honest question actually...

im in the process of running an experiment, ill let you guys know when i have the foundation of my experiment set up

Good, glad you didn't take offense as none was intended, and I couldn't resist! I love Florida weather for just that reason. I think Rene commented about the quietness of winter though and you have a point there Bro! It is beautiful sometimes when you are nice and warm and looking out or even bundled up and walking in fresh snow but then again if it is snowing that is not too cold at all, it's when it gets too cold to snow that really sucks and there are a lot of winters here were it hardly snows but stays so damn frigid! All in all, I'm better off in anything from a 1 to 3 season local!!

Definitely let us know what the experiment is Very Happy

the main part of my idea so far, is to see which is actually better for an emperor...
i have a 5i emp in a 10 gallon with no false bottom
and i have a adult female in a 30 gallon setup with a false bottom...
i already know that, with the false bottom i can hold heat anywhere from 74 - 81 degrees Fahrenheit, for any amount of time...

my whole thought for this experiment was to see how the heat would hold in the 10 gallon with no false bottom...
all temps in my house are between 70-80 degrees (depending on the temp outside)

another thought i have, is that i wanna re do my (what was supposed to be) communal tank...
and either today through saturday is when my next package of coco fiber comes in.
im using the coco fiber to add the bare minimum of substrate to my 30 gallon (i know i know i repeat that emps need at least 6 inches of substrate), but mines been okay with 2 inches being an adult and no reason to burrow that i see

personally i dont really seek to find any earth shattering results, just a bit of trial and error to see if the "no false bottom and heat sources" route works as good as i keep believing to be...

the main part is to see that temps are still good regardless of false vs no false...
next up, i might actually go against my own advice and get some kind of heat emitter...
just to experiment and see the differences...

btw, i know, im using a 5i vs an adult for these experiments...
but in the next few days, my female will have a new tankmate (hopefully a mother truckin male)

any thoughts or insight, or pushes in the right direction?

scratch
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: Re: my experiment   my experiment Empty11/17/2010, 5:45 pm

it wont cause them any problems, but you will have to add smaller amounts of water more often. false bottom is useful if you are going on holiday or wont have time to keep topping up, but its also very heavy. i have done a couple of false bottom setups, but never in anything over 10gal.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: Re: my experiment   my experiment Empty11/17/2010, 7:09 pm

the main idea is to see if i can get my 10 gallon to the appropriate temp without heating elements or a false bottom...

Back to top Go down
Kristopher
Centruroides
Kristopher

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2010-10-29

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: Re: my experiment   my experiment Empty11/17/2010, 7:37 pm

In my experiences the false bottom set up is more helpful in maintaining humidity than affecting temperature. Granted, higher humidity will intern, stabilize the ambient temperature and reduce heat loss, but if you're purposely not using any heating elements, I doubt the false bottom will make much difference in regards to temperature. But.... who knows?

Good luck with the experiment.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: Re: my experiment   my experiment Empty11/17/2010, 11:12 pm

Kristopher wrote:
In my experiences the false bottom set up is more helpful in maintaining humidity than affecting temperature. Granted, higher humidity will intern, stabilize the ambient temperature and reduce heat loss, but if you're purposely not using any heating elements, I doubt the false bottom will make much difference in regards to temperature. But.... who knows?

Good luck with the experiment.

with the false bottom setup i have on my 30 gallon, it keeps the temp anywhere from 73-74 to 79-80, varying on what time of day it is i assume. as for the humidity, i go by the general rule for emps (moist, not soaked substrate) and it seems to be working...

i know the humidity has to be right on the 10 gallon because of the last 2 successful molts my 5i had, but im worried about keeping heat in the tank..
this week sometime, hopefully, my digital thermometer will be in

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my experiment Empty
PostSubject: Re: my experiment   my experiment Empty

Back to top Go down

my experiment
Page 1 of 1