The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What is this on my Hissers?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

What is this on my Hissers? Empty
PostSubject: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/4/2010, 11:39 pm

If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated. I basically had recently received a starter colony of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, roughly 50 adults and 100-200 nymphs and sub-adults. I haven't had any problems, there are babies on the way everyone seems happy and my son regularly likes to hold them and they always seem clean, I never have noticed anything in the bin either. (dry bottom set up with lots of egg crates, kept dark and about 80 F., I mist nightly to keep the humidity up too) I found a dead roach the other night, it was an adult male and I figured old age or something. I'm paranoid about putting anything in the garbage and leaving it in case baby roaches escape or anything so I put the dead one in a jar. It looked fine and I let it is sit for a day. About a day later I was going to dump it in a bag and take it outside to the trash but noticed all these little white things. They looked kinda like maggots or small white slugs. They seemed to appear right off of the roach and today (1 day later) there seem to be more of them. Below are a few pictures, the best I could get through the jar. Anybody have any ideas of what this is and how to address this issue if it is a potential problem? Any insight is definitely appreciated!

What is this on my Hissers? IMG_2576

What is this on my Hissers? IMG_2567
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/5/2010, 4:23 pm

ummm... not sure... fruit fly maggots?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/5/2010, 4:41 pm

That is what I'm hoping. Bottom line is that I'm hoping that they are not internal parasites and it was an after the roach was dead thing. I have noticed fruit fly's in there before but thought they laid eggs on fruit. I posted on InsectGeeks.com also and that was the response that I got there as well, not fruit flys per say but maggots from some sort of fly.

I'm still keeping the jar to see what happens, there seems to be more little ones this morning. I'm just hoping they don't run out of oxygen as I don't know how to add holes for ventilation for them without them getting out. I also don't want stinky dead roach stinking up my living room.

Have you known fruit flys to lay eggs on dead roaches or other insects/arachnids?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 9:45 am

well no but if there isnt much fruit and lots of egg filled flies i think they might. they might not be fruit fly maggots, its just i recall fruit fly maggots climbing glass which made me think they were those. once they turn into whatever they are going to you will know, they look too maggoty to be internal parasites.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 11:05 am

Pheew! On the internal parasite part! Think that they will survive a sealed jar? I'm assuming there is enough oxygen for them but not 100% on that.
Back to top Go down
DLP
Centruroides
DLP

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 11:40 am

just open the lid once in a while and it should let enough oxygen in the jar Bro..
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 2:01 pm

Cool, thanks, gonna have to do that outside though as it reeks, I opened it once and it took about 5 minutes to not be able to smell it!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 2:13 pm

are they feeding on the cockroach? a quicker way to tell what they are would be put a bit of fruit in and see what they prefer to feed on.
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/6/2010, 2:43 pm

Looks like scuttle flies larvae, i get them when i have dead cricket, they will turn to sesame like pupa soon and emerge as adult scuttle flies
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/7/2010, 8:27 am

Thanks Ryo, I did some googling and I'm not 100% sure if it is scuttle fly or fruit fly but I'd probably pick the scuttle fly if I had to put money on it. It looks as if there may be a bit of a black tip on one end of fruit fly larvae. Upon closer inspection I think I have noticed scuttle flies in some enclosures and assumed that they were fruit flies. I'm still reading a lot on them now that you brought it up and it is sounding unavoidable and hard to get rid of. Near impossible if you have plants in the house, which I do. I just hope that they don't get too bad or stress the animals out. Sad

And Ryo, Nihonjin desu ka?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty9/7/2010, 12:16 pm

[quote ]are they feeding on the cockroach? a quicker way to tell what they are would be put a bit of fruit in and see what they prefer to feed on.[/quote]

They were feeding on the cockroach if I didn't answer that in the last post. I am posting again though as I have noticed them all on the lid of the jar (underside) as I opened it for some fresh air. The seem to all be hopefully pupating. The are a little hardened and none of them are moving anymore frozen in place. Yesterday they were still multiplying and cruising all over the dead roach. Hopefully I will get some clarification in the next couple of days Smile Thanks for all your help guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this on my Hissers?   What is this on my Hissers? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is this on my Hissers?
Page 1 of 1